Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
Completely renovated units for sale?

Hello all,
I'm pretty good with google, but would like to know if there are some good websites/contacts that specialize in renovating and selling older units. Am tore between brand new and something more"classic" from someone that does very professional work.
I don't have the time or ability to do it myself. Any help on this would be appreciated along with ballpark dollars for something very nice in the 25-28 foot range.
Thanks to all of the vets around here.....I've learned so much in the past few months!!

Regards,

Bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Bo -- Glad you're enjoying the Forums! There is no used Airstream dealership -- desirable units will be gone the instant they roll on the lot. There are classifieds here or at The Vintage Airstream Club. Craigslist finds are another possibility. Any used trailer could be a hanger queen -- watch out! Buying anything vintage is a crap shoot if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Vintage units over 25 years old hold interest to some but they're almost always going to be a rebuild from the ground up. The guys at the Vintage Airstream Podcast routinely say that a total update to an old unit is about as expensive as a brand new Airstream (vintage usually means > 25 years old). Such units are valuable and may or may not be more cranky to deal with. You can make that last point about new units too I guess.

I don't think that dealing with a 10 or 15 year old Airstream will be easy for someone without the time or inclination. Could it take $5-10,000 to put a 1995 Airstream in order? Experiences are all over the board -- it could even run higher. Having a dealer address those issues or buying relatively new still means pulling out the checkbook.

How soon do you want to be rolling? Three years ago we made the choice to buy new and appreciate having the traveling bug any time we want. To see various aged Airstreams and talk to experienced owners, I'd say click on the Rally Calendar link overhead, bring a tent and sign up for a Forums rallies (only rule - bring a potluck item ).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Try here their work is bueatiful
Timeless Travel Trailers - We remanufacture your vintage travel trailer.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Check out this website....they are in Denver

Timeless Travel Trailers - We remanufacture your vintage travel trailer.

They have been highly recommended although we have not had any direct experience with them. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Most professional renovators will customize vintage trailers specifically for their clients. There aren't many that do renovations in a speculative manner. Usually you bring an old trailer in need of work to them, give them lots & lots of money and it comes out as good or better than new - customized just for you. Sometimes, the costs can rival the brand new, current model trailers. These don't often change hands once complete - if they do, they don't usually do so in public.

Some companies that specialize in this sort of work are:There are others...the above are just a few to get you started.

You may also want to check the classifieds for other options - many in good and/or restored condition, one may meet your needs.

Good luck on your search ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I believe a well done restored unit is worth $30,000-$40,000

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
I believe a well done restored unit is worth $30,000-$40,000
But many COST more than that...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Buyer beware

It is a real slippery slope buying a restored or refurbished trailer unless you really know what to look for.......don't ask me how I know. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Bo, buying a used trailer, be it restored or not is a crapshoot unless you do your homework. You've got lots of things to consider. For example you need to deal with structural intregaty. This includes conditions of the floor, sub floor, walls, windows, trailer frame and rooftop. You have considerations regarding the appliances used in the trailer. This includes heating, cooling, stove, refrigerator, microwave (if so equipped). Then you have infrastructure items such as wiring, electrical converter/charger, lighting, plumbing, holding tanks just to name some. Finally you have running gear items like tires, brakes, axles, wheel bearings to again name a few items.

Each of these systems need attention, maintenance and repair over time. So while a trailer may be very strong in some areas, you might find other areas lacking. Bottom line you need to develop a check list of items and go through the trailer with a fine tooth comb. If you don't feel qualified, then get a friend or other person with experience to help you check these things out. Consider warranties to protect against premature failures and understand that you may have to ask the seller to truly demonstate that things do work.

If the owner balks, then walk away. There's lots of fish in the sea and you will find another.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Bo, buying a used trailer, be it restored or not is a crapshoot unless you do your homework. You've got lots of things to consider. For example you need to deal with structural intregaty. This includes conditions of the floor, sub floor, walls, windows, trailer frame and rooftop. You have considerations regarding the appliances used in the trailer. This includes heating, cooling, stove, refrigerator, microwave (if so equipped). Then you have infrastructure items such as wiring, electrical converter/charger, lighting, plumbing, holding tanks just to name some. Finally you have running gear items like tires, brakes, axles, wheel bearings to again name a few items.

Each of these systems need attention, maintenance and repair over time. So while a trailer may be very strong in some areas, you might find other areas lacking. Bottom line you need to develop a check list of items and go through the trailer with a fine tooth comb. If you don't feel qualified, then get a friend or other person with experience to help you check these things out. Consider warranties to protect against premature failures and understand that you may have to ask the seller to truly demonstate that things do work.

If the owner balks, then walk away. There's lots of fish in the sea and you will find another.

Regards,

Jack
Amen. I couldn't have said it better myself......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Jack, good points in your message, especially if the owner balks comment.

But, I must add this observation.
My wife and I were selling our houseboat. We advertised it and had a lot of lookers. After awhile we realized we were just giving people who had no means to buy the boat or wanted to buy the boat, boat rides.

I started telling lookers if they wanted a ride, they would have to put up $50 for fuel. If they bought the boat, I would take that amount off the price. If they didn't buy the boat, they paid for a $50 boat ride.

Lots of lookers and the boat rides stopped. The first looker who agreed to the $50 bought the boat. He was moving up to a bigger boat and understood the cost of operating a boat.

My wife said I got lucky.

Jim
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Charlie
Am tore between brand new and something more"classic" from someone that does very professional work.
If you are prepared to spend what a new one costs but would like the looks of a "classic" you are in a good position to get what you want. Most, if not all of these restorers will have or be able to help you find the correct trailer to be restored. It's unlikely you will find one that has been already completed since it generally costs more for these restorations than they can be sold for on the open market. This will be a labor of love for which you'll be willing to pay whatever it costs. Don't let this scare you off... if you are willing to spend the cost of a new one... you'll be in the ballpark. In the end you will have a trailer that can't be bought in any Airstream showroom and IMO worth every penny.

Good Luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
If you are prepared to spend what a new one costs but would like the looks of a "classic" you are in a good position to get what you want. Most, if not all of these restorers will have or be able to help you find the correct trailer to be restored. It's unlikely you will find one that has been already completed since it generally costs more for these restorations than they can be sold for on the open market. This will be a labor of love for which you'll be willing to pay whatever it costs. Don't let this scare you off... if you are willing to spend the cost of a new one... you'll be in the ballpark. In the end you will have a trailer that can't be bought in any Airstream showroom and IMO worth every penny.

Good Luck!
This is the route we have chosen and are just beginning. We have just purchased a 1968 28' Ambassador. Everything will be redone from the bottom up. We are very excited about this project. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
Thanks to all,
Great info to ponder! Could someone please tell me why this did not turn up under new posts? Just opend my email and found your responses.

Bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
BC,

Good to see someone else from the greater Metroplex area posting on here ... I live in Fort Worth, and bought a vintage trailer that had been restored from the frame up. As some have pointed out, however, it's not very common, since people usually find their trailer first, then send it off to have it worked on.

My trailer isn't perfect, by any means -- it is after all, 43 years old -- but, in my mind, it gives you the best of both worlds: the look and feel of a vintage Airstream, with updated systems and interior elements. (Plus, since it already has a few dings here and there, it's not nearly as devastating as finding your first dent on a new trailer!)

If you ever find yourself on the west end of town, I'd be happy to show you our trailer, and go over some of the pros and cons involved in its upkeep vs. a new unit.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Me too

Hey Bo,

I'm in Dallas and have just started my restoration after over 2 years of thinking and researching. I visited with Randy at North Dallas RV in Carrollton and they have a great shop there for repair/restoration. They also have some in-process trailers there if you want to stop by and take a look. But I agree with everyone else, this is not a cost saving process.
If you want turn-key - find a good deal or a new or newer unit. There are lots of classifieds out there. Also, if you haven't made plans for tomorrow, you might want to drive south to Montgomery to the Vintage Rally - there will be a public open house on Saturday afternoon with plenty of brains to pick. Good luck. paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
check the classifieds here

Bo - I just clicked over to the classifieds on this site and there are some good choices - the 1975 25' really stood out as one to look closer at.
enjoy the hunt!
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Mill Creek , Washington
Remanufactured units, corrosion, newbie

Started looking at Airstreams after seeing the way-cool vintage unit that sold recently on eBay in Michigan. Really love that mirror finish. Drove to Spokane and then to Fife from our home north of Seattle to see new ones. Love the 23 SeaBreeze model. Then found a thread on corrosion problems with new units, and then saw that new units can't be polished because the type of aluminum changed sometime. In what year did that happen? Because we are looking 1 to 2 years out, and really like the shiny finish, perhaps the remanufactured units would be our best bet. Sorry to breath new life into an old thread, but my question seemed to fit here. BTW, one of the reasons we are interested in the Airstream is the user community. We own a Miata and know how much fun it is to travel with bunch of similar vehicles and their owners!
-Tom
tnmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #19
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Welcome!! Good luck in your search. We made an error in judgement when we bought our first Airstream. We did not take into account how large I am and the fact that our son would grow too. Which is why we have two. If you have no children to camp with I would not rule out a smaller unit. My wife an I love our little one and would keep it if it wouldn't just waste away in our yard. We just want someone to love it.
Our newer unit fits us just right. I sleep on the front gaucho alone and Wife and son each get their own twin.

Have fun and again, good luck!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I think the aluminium changed in the late 1990s - too bad I didn't pay more attention when they mentioned it during the factory tour I took a few weeks ago. There were also issues of peeling clearcoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmack View Post
BTW, one of the reasons we are interested in the Airstream is the user community. We own a Miata and know how much fun it is to travel with bunch of similar vehicles and their owners!
LOL! My "Miata fund" is likely going to buy and fix up an Argosy. The wife and I have more fun camping than I'd have driving a Miata, even though it tops my favorites. (Don't really want to swing the coin for a third-gen yet either....)

The thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of different trailers out there, in all different states of condition. Go to some rallies and see a bunch of different trailers. I was certain I wanted an old Caravel - until I went into a slightly larger Argosy and Globetrotter...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote