Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
If BO or anyone else is looking for a beautifully “contemporized” classic trailer, I might offer my whole unit – the completely remade ARGOSY, the Mercedes SPRINTER and the MINI Cooper.

As others are pointing out here, the cost to achieve such craftsmanship and originality exceeds new but I don’t expect to recover everything that’s been poured into this.

Check it out here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post628818

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
growing families

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
We made an error in judgement when we bought our first Airstream. We did not take into account how large I am and the fact that our son would grow too. Which is why we have two.
Same thing happened to us. We have 4 kids, and while it was crowded in the Overlander, we were all able to fit when the kids were younger. Now that 2 are in their teens we've bought a Sovereign. We're still using the Overlander while we fix up the Sovereign, but with the Sovereign we'll each have our own bed without converting the dinette to a bed.

Grant

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
One of the reasons we wanted a vintage AS was because of weight. If you have tow vehicle limitations then that might be a consideration. Also consider what you want to do with the trailer. Are you going to be boondocking or will you always have hook-ups. Our fresh water tank needs attention but I haven't bothered because we always have water hook-up. The shower needs attention but we always camp where there are showers. Will you be winter camping? If not a furnace that needs work isn't a big deal. What I'm getting at is a sound vintage trailer can be had relatively cheaply if you don't need everything restored to new right out of the blocks and you can spread out the expense over time and get things done just the way you want them. A sound vintage trailer will hold it's value too so if a couple of years down the road you want something else you're not out a pile of money.

Sergei, Say it Ain't So Joe !!!
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
A few other points that no one has covered:

Make certain that all of the work done on any trailer you find is up to current codes! This will ensure that you are getting the value you for which you are paying. If you find a trailer already restored or customized ask for progress pictures so you can see the work behind the skin and cabinetry.

Make sure that the people doing the work on your trailer have appropriate training for working on Airstream products. Preferably this training is from the factory and not OJT on your project.

Watch your weight! Any given Airstream has a maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Your rebuild could make the weight of the finished trailer weigh more than it is rated. If this is the case, a licensed Professional Engineer should design modifications to the existing chassis or design a new chassis for your trailer. The axles should be replaced for lower maintenance and greater reliabilithy but they should also be upgraded to adequately carry the finished weight of your trailer. Proper weight distribution is also very important.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote