Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Closet w Nightstand vs just Nightstand?

I am not sure how far back this choice goes in AS models, but it seems like it could elicit strong opinions.

I like the idea of more storage, and even with the closeted nightstands there are 3 windows in the BR.

However, having 5 windows and the wrap around view is visually impressive.

Thoughts on this choice from those who have experienced either?
Harvey Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I rarely if ever open the bedroom windows, but I can always use more storage...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
I guess it's a settled topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I rarely if ever open the bedroom windows, but I can always use more storage...
I tend to agree, but with so many loving the windows of the Airstreams, I thought there might be some varying opinions.

I do like the internal nightstands inside the two wardrobes.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Storage is a double-edged sword. More seems better until junk has accumulated to fill space available.

Plus, weight needs to center over the axles and 3-4' either side of it. Why one finds the AC, reefer, stove, water heater and furnace in this area. It's where to store all the canned goods, etc.

Too much weight fore and aft isn't good.

Same for height. It's possible to overload some high cabinets that they start to come loose.

A self-contained RV needs but food and some clothes to travel the country. It's easy to overdo this (Rainy day. Just in case. For the kids)

Trailer condition trumps all else.

Silver Streak then Streamline always had the most storage. Avion next, and last was Airstream.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Night stand

Personally, I can't live without one! I removed the twins & put in a queen from side to side. I moved the little 3 drawer stand from between the bunks & put it to the side of my queen bed. I still have the drawers & a night stand to boot. Fit perfectly! Still have room for my new washer/dryer combo on the other side behind the bathroom. What more could a girl want?
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
We wanted the pano windows in our 2nd AS. I don't miss the award cabinets, love the openness and the view.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Dowd View Post
I am not sure how far back this choice goes in AS models, but it seems like it could elicit strong opinions.

I like the idea of more storage, and even with the closeted nightstands there are 3 windows in the BR.

However, having 5 windows and the wrap around view is visually impressive.

Thoughts on this choice from those who have experienced either?
Had a 25' Safari with wrap around in FBR, kitchen had wrap around too. Single night stand on her side. Only opened the drapes when we were on the road. BR wrap was tinted (rock guards) but the kitchen was not. When drapes were open on both ends on a bright hot day it would knock our socks off. Our 30' FC has the closeted night stands. We like em. His and hers clothes closet. Upper night stands have lit USB charging ports for his and hers phone. Lower night stands have room for his and hers electric blanket controls. You have no idea how important that can be for peaceful living.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Hesperus , Colorado
This is a great question. I'm a side sleeper that extends my arm out and often find my arm hanging over the edge of the bed. As we debate floorplans/ layouts for out first AS we're thinking no closets above nightstands for this reason. Anyone else have this issue that has the closets? Thoughts?
Bearii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
This is a great question. I'm a side sleeper that extends my arm out and often find my arm hanging over the edge of the bed. As we debate floorplans/ layouts for out first AS we're thinking no closets above nightstands for this reason. Anyone else have this issue that has the closets? Thoughts?
I don't like it for the same reasons. Big bedroom windows are a selling -- not living -- point. Same for tall cabinetry. Overhead, sure. For me just not at level of bed or sitting.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Storage is a double-edged sword. More seems better until junk has accumulated to fill space available.

Plus, weight needs to center over the axles and 3-4' either side of it. Why one finds the AC, reefer, stove, water heater and furnace in this area. It's where to store all the canned goods, etc.

Too much weight fore and aft isn't good.

Keeping possessions, supplies to the essentials is something I have realized is a must in reading the forums so far. I read these lists of all the supplies, tools, etc that folks put on their must pack lists and I wonder how it all fits?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
W/d!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
Personally, I can't live without one! I removed the twins & put in a queen from side to side. I moved the little 3 drawer stand from between the bunks & put it to the side of my queen bed. I still have the drawers & a night stand to boot. Fit perfectly! Still have room for my new washer/dryer combo on the other side behind the bathroom. What more could a girl want?
W/D?! I don't read about that often. Did you install? Did that take some careful work considering weight, power, water demands? It's a great option to have in a TT.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
I hadn't even thought about that. I also sometimes hang my arm off...would be tough with the side closets.

Some good thoughts on this thread. Even a simple question about TTs often brings up a lot of issues with so little space to serve so many needs.

Thanks.