Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #41
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm so happy to be here! I haven't yet purchased this airstream, but my grandfather has a 1957 Overlander Airstream in original condition.
Grateful for any help, and thanks in advance!

-M+B
I've read the entire thread now... and no one seems to have mentioned that a '57 Overlander has no waste tanks, and no real way to install them. That wasn't a problem in 1957 when you parked in someone's farm field and dug what was then lovingly known as a "gopher hole" to drain your sewage into... and you filled the hole back up when you left. Letting sewage run free on the street or a Walmart parking lot today is frowned upon.

The common solution, and the one I used with my '61 Bambi was a blue poly tank with wheels. A decidedly poor idea when stopped for the night at a rest area or Walmart, because you still have no way to dump it. And even a 20 gallon blue poly tank is 160lbs when filled.

I agree with just about everyone else here... find something modern that you don't have to strip to the frame and rebuild to use. The amount of work isn't the issue; price isn't a concern; its the practical usability of a relatively stock 63 year old trailer in a modern world that is the problem.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #42

Currently Looking...
Monticello , Florida
Gramps is a tight SOB. He should give it to you in my opinion. I can’t imagine anyone else in the family wants the damn thing.

Certainly not try to sell it for nearly twice what he had in it.

Old people get funny about their money, however.

That’s a lot of money to throw into an old beater. It will be a lot of time and money to get it up to par, and won’t even be worth what you put into it.
Gatorgus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
First...Ask youself: Would I buy this, especially at that price, if my Grandfather wasn't involved?

If your answer is no - run. If your answer is yes - negotiate the price down - way down because you'll pay much more for fix-it materials, let alone what your time and labor are worth even at $1/hour.

My answer would be RUN. If Gramps would give it to you - RUN.

Just my two cents...

Good Luck!!!!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Walk away and don't look back...
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #45
RV fans

1973 Argosy 24
Hickory , North Carolina
We just got a 24’ 1973 Argosy, which we are renovating, because we are tinkerers and designers and it’s relaxing and yes, we are building equity. But we also got a good price on a 2013 21’ Coleman, requiring nothing but a new mattress, title and tag. Everything is modern and working, and we are going camping in it next week. The Argosy is about as good a shape as your Overlander, maybe slightly better, but it will take at least a year, plus several thousand dollars to do it right. I’d see what you can get in the way of a modern trailer for 8000, and wait til you can stay in one place to do the work on a vintage Airstream.
Travel Kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
Wow, there are so many variables here.
1. Sentimental value! I'm guessing that since gramps is trying to make nearly 100% profit off of you, that possibly sentimental value is minimal.
2. You may get the thing out of the field in 3 weeks but that trailer should not see highway speeds before the rust and frame are deemed worthy.
3. Dollars & cents. Do you have $8k cash cold, plus another $10k for repairs, plus more $k's just in case? Vintage Airstream restoring requires lots of $$$ be spent on things that feel like wasted $$$ or in other words zero bang for the buck.
4. Time waits for no-one but lots of people are spending weeks waiting on parts. I am restoring a 1972 model, but still I wait and wait and wait for parts. 1957 parts will be incredibly scarce.
BUT, I gotta say, that turquoise interior is EXTREMELY appealing. The value of the trailer restored could be mind boggling. If you've never owned an Airstream, all I can say is there is no other community of fellow owners more helpful than this one. My 1972 is in the middle of having its rear end replaced. I am doing the work while parked in a city owned campground next to a lake. I am almost always the only airstream. There are all classes of RV's out here that easily cost multiples of 20 , 40, 50 or more times what I paid for mine ($5,500). People always stop and stare at my little home. It's always the coolest trailer in the park. I frequently hear "you're living the dream" or "my wife can't stop talking about your Airstream" my favorite was from a dad who said "my daughter loves your Airstream, she says it looks like a time machine".
Good luck with whatever you choose to do and in reality, regardless of what you pay, you will likely not regret a second of the experience.
Happyjoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #47
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
I wonder if the original poster has made a decision... they haven't visited the forum since the 23rd.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Marietta , Arizona
NEVER buy or sell to a relative.
Pass this up.
Buy a new Casita and never look back.
Reliability, resale value, tow vehicle can be your daily driver, better to boondock , survive hailstones,
MonacoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #49
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
I wonder if the original poster has made a decision... they haven't visited the forum since the 23rd.
I think his parade got rained out...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
I've read the entire thread now... and no one seems to have mentioned that a '57 Overlander has no waste tanks, and no real way to install them. .
This is the real problem that I was about to post... the nostalgia is great but even if the thing were wholly restored, the lack of tanks is a show stopper.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Winchester , Virginia
Smile

I certainly do feel for you two. The sentimentality is overwhelming. My parents gave my husband and me their '73 Overlander and we ignorantly towed it from Texas to Virginia after only putting new tires on it. It seemed to be in great shape. After all, they had toured the country with it! We had to have it inspected in order to actually use it and have it insured (Virginia)-which turned out to be a really good thing of course, because then we knew what we NEEDED to do to have it road worthy.We spent about $5, 000 to pass inspection. Then it was several more years before we could make use of the bathroom.So for years we used facilities at the campground no problem. Since we've owned it, we have put in about $14,000 and that is only to keep it up to date and safe, find and fix leaks , reseal windows, replace appliances, on and on. Oh we did have it polished -$7,000. It is close to original inside-nothing fancy. But the memories are there and maintaining the interior was important to me. We are handy people and have been able to do a lot of the maintenance ourselves, but what you don't spend in dollars you will definitely spend in time. Simply replacing light covers on the ceiling was challenging and took me months to find the right materials to make new covers. I feel you will probably take the leap. Just realize that you WILL be opening an aluminum can of worms! The price tag is too high though-maybe $3,000 is a fair "token" price. You've a lot of work ahead. Grampa might not realize how things have changed and that it's imperative you make the Old "57 safe for everybody on the road. Sure- fun, challenging and rewarding, but a LOT. Just go in with wide open eyes. There is a ton of support on this site and if you have time, patience and money to spend on it- go for it. Our Airstream has been my husband's first experience with RVing of any type and he has learned SO much and knows how special "my girl" is to me.We have worked together on many of the projects and gained new respect for each other's ideas and talents. So, my 2 cents worth-I wish you the best of luck whatever you choose to do.
Margi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Don't do it.The running gear ( axles/ bearings) is just the first of your problems.You also need brand new gas lines.Thats no where near road worthy.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Grandpa’s trailer

You have been given good advice, and I agree the 8K is a VERY unreasonable price. After much time, work and expense you will not have any decent return. An important matter not previously addressed is that most national, state and private parks will not allow you to park due in part to age, but mainly for not having certified propane, disposal and electric systems approved and certificated to current regulations. Do not be embarrassed. Your enquiry shows thoughtfulness and wisdom. Note the underlying theme of responses is this trailer cannot fit your plans. Kind wishes for safe travel.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #54
Max Mobile

2016 22' Sport
Southampton , New York
Getting taken for a ride

Wow, that Good Old 57 needs some work! I think grandpa is taking you for a ride! Probably going to need to replace a large section of the flooring if it’s breaking up by the water heater . That means practically gutting the 57 to the walls and replacing your flooring. Does grandpa like you? Move on to something newer and I’m sure grandpa would understand . By the time you get this 57 on the road you’ll be a grandma yourself! Think with your head not your heart when it comes to this project. Tell Grandpa you love him , give him a kiss and say thanks but no thanks !
Good luck
Max Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rjack just slight rebuttal. National and state parks will not deny you entry based on those things but yes, some higher standard private parks will.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1996 30' Land Yacht
Riverview , Florida
This is really a big can of worms. My parents gave us their '77 31' many years ago and we were told it was in great shape. Two years and nearly $10 grand later we had a finished trailer. I would guarantee that the frame is rusted and the floors rotten, sitting that long in a field. Although the interior looks nice, the heater, water heater, water pump or air pump, etc., all won't work. The body will have to be removed to repair the frame and floor which means everything has to come out. Good luck if you want to tackle a huge job but do it knowing that it will be very expensive and time consuming. BTW, $8 grand is way too much for anyone to pay.
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Glad he ain't my grumpa!
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Old57,
Seriously this is a terrible price. You have shell issues, probable frame issues, originality issues and many other unknown problems awaiting. I would step back and reevaluate what you are looking for (years, models, length, condition, work needed). There is way more work here than you first see.

Airforum classifieds, eBay, craigslist, facebook, etc... We used Search Tempest to overview all local Craigslist sites and found exactly what we wanted in Wichita (10Hrs one way).

Good Luck, Scott
Harrysheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Milton , Delaware
Not worth anyway near asking.
I would not buy it in the first place because it's too far gone from neglect.
Don't go a dime over $600.-
rjpapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Let Grandpa try and git $8K from another sucker!

That way when he gits no takers you might git UNLUCKY and git it for FREE in his will.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote