Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Buying from reputable dealer

importance of buying from a ‘knowledgeable’ dealer cannot be overstated

maybe I can save a potential buyer some real headaches

was lurking the forums the other day, happened upon a thread where a member was pointing out the obvious frame separation/damage on a ‘for sale’ A/S, and the subsequent correspondence with the dealer when he pointed it out

to sum up- dealer trying to pass-off ‘mint’ coach-- but then uses the “gee, I didn’t know there was a problem, I’m new here” excuse when he’s called on it. pathetic. This guy should not be selling new Airstreams.

(I’ll give you the overall of my new trailer purchase experience, without boring you on the details- if you’re interested feel free to ask... I’d be more than happy to give you the whole ball of wax...)

I consider myself pretty well-informed on the subject of RV’s
I did my research before purchasing
Shake-down items are typical with a new RV purchase, I understand this
but I should not have had to ‘discover’ these on my brand spanking new trailer:

-major slide leak during storage from november through april (we picked it up end of october, and didn’t experience any rain during shake-down trip prior to storing it). floor, carpet, sofa arm framing, wall fabric, base trim, floor substrate from galley forward completely saturated. red and black mold growing under entire slide... finding that was a nice surprise!

-batteries completely fried. If it were obvious like they wouldn’t hold a charge, I could have caught that during ‘shake-down’. They hold charge, just not under anything other than a very small load. (yeah, I know, batteries discharge under load, that’s how they work... again, I’ll spare you the tedious details)

-brake system not bled per actibrake/airstream specs.. after towing home, realized my suburban was doing all the work. spent the afternoon jacking/removing wheels/bleeding system

At the very least, extremely inconvenient, and completely avoidable had I purchased from a ‘knowledgeable’ dealer...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
importance of buying from a ‘knowledgeable’ dealer cannot be overstated

maybe I can save a potential buyer some real headaches

to sum up- dealer trying to pass-off ‘mint’ coach-- but then uses the “gee, I didn’t know there was a problem, I’m new here” excuse when he’s called on it. pathetic.

This guy should not be selling new Airstreams.
A lot of them shouldn't be selling "used Airstreams" either.

We see all to many times, where a new owner of a used Airstream or Argosy, really got taken to the cleaners.

What some of the E-bay offers isn't much better either.

Exceptions?? Rarely.

Sad, at best.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
That is precisely why I started reading the forum several months before buying my first AS, to try to avoid problems. As it is, I saved myself a lot of grief, thanks to the great wisdom shared on this forum. Yet even then, when I went to physically examine an AS that was billed as "primo, dent-free" the first thing i noticed when I saw the trailer were the small hail dings... Just a few, but... so after crawling over, under, around and thru, measuring from the top of the wheel (not tire) to the bottom of the wheel well, after jumping on the rear bumper, after trying all the appliances, we decided that for the price, a dozen light hail dings on a 32', 22 year old trailer, simply gives it some character.
There seem to be a lot of good used Airstreams out there, and they can be had at a fair price if you're a knowledgeable buyer. Research here first! Saves a lot of heartache and grief. Or, wait until "your" airstream shows up at a knowledgeable, reputable dealer. Isn't part of the fun in the chase, though?
Regards,
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
while i agree with the advantages of buying from a reputable dealer, i wonder if those dealers could offer a service to those trying to find 'the one' trailer. maybe they could offer a mobile inspection service or tow in inspection service if a buyer is interested in buying from an unknown dealer, hobbyist, or private owner. especially in the case of vintage trailers, because of their rarity, not many come up for sale.
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig View Post
while i agree with the advantages of buying from a reputable dealer, i wonder if those dealers could offer a service to those trying to find 'the one' trailer. maybe they could offer a mobile inspection service or tow in inspection service if a buyer is interested in buying from an unknown dealer, hobbyist, or private owner. especially in the case of vintage trailers, because of their rarity, not many come up for sale.
Great idea, but it will never happen.

Individuals won't allow someone to tow their trailer off.

Inspections take time, and more time to come up with the repair dollars.

The owner is not interested in anything except a big price, as is, and is not interested in "what the repairs" would cost.

We offer and inspection program to the prospective buyer. In 43 years, no buyer has yet arranged to have a coach brought in.

They all say the same thing. The owner will not allow it, as is, where is.

In field inspections would take time. At whose expense?

Remember that a dealer carries liability when they get involved.

An individual can sell, as they see fit, good or bad, with zero liability.

Andy
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
There is information on this forum, forgive me because i don't now know exactly where it is, that gave a price range of repairs for Airstreams. I copied that off, and took it with me when I went to look at my first trailer before the first of the year. The seller had planned to restore the '76 model, and in fact had begun the restoration when his life changed. I went over the trailer very carefully, and made a list of what was right, and what was wrong. Then I approached the seller in a very gracious tone, explaining what I was doing, and why, and what I had found out about repairs. The obvious repairs totalled about $2,000, and he lowered the price that much. We had a deal.

Fortunately he was a reasonable man, and probably had a couple of prospects walk away from the trailer. But I also did not approach him in a confrontational manner, just matter of fact, kind of regretful, but this is the way it is. So if you do your research, and can back it up, and are gracious, the seller MIGHT also be reasonable and come down in price. Then again, hell might freeze over this coming July too. One simply never knows.
Regards,
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I tried to be a knowledgeable buyer, but with only 2 dealers in the state, there were few options. Having had a bad experience with a truck camper a number of years before, we were skeptical, and we had read a lot, including the Forum. Unless you have another travel trailer, especially an Airstream, you have a tough time figuring it all out. Even then it's something of a task.

I didn't want to search for a used one and have to figure out things I knew nothing about. There are plenty of examples on the Forum of people who bought a used trailer and had many bad surprises. They post for a while and then disappear. For example, whatever happened to "Fat and lazy"?

At least with autos and trucks there are sources of information about reliability and what to look for when you buy a used one. There are lots of dealers and friends can advise you on which ones to avoid. Sorting through the Forum is daunting. I at least knew to look for corrosion. Since I knew—from the Forum—something about TV's—I watched to see if salesmen were lying about what would tow what. One salesman at one dealer was so far from reality plus his obvious disrespect for us, we walked out. The 2nd dealer was better, but after we bought the trailer, problems mounted up. If I were to do it again, I'd go far from here to buy a trailer relying on the opinions of Forum members about which are the best dealers.

But how many people interested in buying an Airstream are going to travel 1,000 or more miles to buy a new one? And then, what about warranty service? We are going more than 1,400 miles to have work done at the factory. That's crazy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
But how many people interested in buying an Airstream are going to travel 1,000 or more miles to buy a new one? And then, what about warranty service? We are going more than 1,400 miles to have work done at the factory. That's crazy.

Gene
More than you can imagine. In the last 45 days we have sold 13 new Airstreams. Customers were from: Washington, California, Arizona, Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, New Mexico, Virginia, Nebraska, Louisiana, ans South Carolina to name a few!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
pre purchase auto inspections happen everyday. those companies take responsibility/liability for their inspections and if they didnt, what kind of inspection would that be?. a huge red flag would go up for me if a seller would refuse to take the time for a requested inspection. and i would be willing to work with a 'reputable dealer' for a proper inspection if that dealer were not 'fear mongering' for business or over selling unnecessary upgrades.
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Gene, that's good for you, but is it good for Airstream? There may be lots of people who didn't buy one because they didn't want to go interstate (or Interstate [pun intended]).

You have one of the dealerships that has a good reputation and I commend you for that, but there don't seem to be many with that kind of reputation.

Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself?

Gene
Old 04-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Gene, that's good for you, but is it good for Airstream?
Gene
Not so sure...it might be...I know there are a handful of what most of us would call "good dealers" out there. I think they are the ones that really care about and believe in the product.

I think if I owned a big company like that, I would rather have a few that did a great job representing my product, than several that did a mediocre job. That's just me. My wife and I do own a small business here in town, and I want my empoyees representing our company as if they were part owners, and they do.

Case in point: I just had some folks in here from far, far, away that had been to an RV dealer that handled Airstream. That dealer also carried several different brands of travel trailers and had 2 Airstreams on the lot. They did not know the product and even tried to move them to another brand of trailer that the sales person knew more about. I guess my question is, does it help Airstream to have a dealer on every corner, or would you rather have fewer dealers, ones that are passionate about the product AND as Rich Luhr puts it the "Airstream Life". Which one would do more to promote your product that best?

Just a thought Gene,

Gene

(Now I feel that I just responded to myself)

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
shame on me, for not doing my homework on the dealer... did everything but

at the time, I couldn't justify paying more out the door, and accruing costs just getting to the dealer to pick it up...

if I knew then, what I know now...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1 View Post
Not so sure...it might be...I know there are a handful of what most of us would call "good dealers" out there. I think they are the ones that really care about and believe in the product.

I think if I owned a big company like that, I would rather have a few that did a great job representing my product, than several that did a mediocre job. That's just me. My wife and I do own a small business here in town, and I want my empoyees representing our company as if they were part owners, and they do.

Case in point: I just had some folks in here from far, far, away that had been to an RV dealer that handled Airstream. That dealer also carried several different brands of travel trailers and had 2 Airstreams on the lot. They did not know the product and even tried to move them to another brand of trailer that the sales person knew more about. I guess my question is, does it help Airstream to have a dealer on every corner, or would you rather have fewer dealers, ones that are passionate about the product AND as Rich Luhr puts it the "Airstream Life". Which one would do more to promote your product that best?

Just a thought Gene,

Gene

(Now I feel that I just responded to myself)
Gene.

In 1970ish, Airstream had a national sales manager, that felt he was "KING" over every Airstream dealer.

At a national dealer meeting, he said "Airstreams are so popular, we don't need any dealers." "We could put the trailers in shopping center parking lots, and people would buy them."

He didn't last very long.

Dealers that really don't care, don't last very long.

The dealers that do care, and show it every day, usually are around for many many years.

But, as we all know, the bad economy can ruin many good things, sadly.

Andy
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1 View Post
More than you can imagine. In the last 45 days we have sold 13 new Airstreams. Customers were from: Washington, California, Arizona, Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, New Mexico, Virginia, Nebraska, Louisiana, ans South Carolina to name a few!

G
Dear Airhog, I couldn't agree more. I think if you AREN'T "willing to go 1000 miles" why do you want an RV? Especially, why do you want an Airstream? My Airstream smiles (I swear I've seen it) whenever I wind up the stabilizer jacks and start to hook up. It is one of a very few RV's which is truly designed for the road.

Other dealers still don't seem able to connect the dots... people WILL buy where they are treated well. There is a survey I saw several years ago that says 66% of all customers change vendors (restaurants, plumbers, heating and air companies, etc, etc, etc) because they are treated as though their business doesn't matter to the company. Not because they are treated awfully, just indifferently. And 99% of those customers never say a word to the vendor about their discontent, they simply find someone else to satisfy them.

"If you don't take care of your customers, someone else WILL!" Should be engraved on the wallet of every business owner in this country.

Obviously it costs a bit more up front for companies like yours to do a whole "prep and pre-test" before the buyer takes delivery... but the word does get out and people do drive past three other Airstream dealers to buy from you.

Congratulations you've earned it.

Paula
Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks Paula...that makes us sound perfect, which we are not! We make our share of mistakes, but we really do try to keep them to a minimum. Our customers are our biggest assets and best form of advertising! We try to do everything we can to please them...most of the times we can...sometimes we can't and that is hard for me to accept!

Bottom line...We just love and believe in the Airstream product and lifestyle!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Gene, I don't know the answer. My impression is that despite the fact auto and truck dealers have a bad reputation, RV dealers are worse. But RV's are more complex and most RV dealers have to sell a number of different lines to stay in business. It's difficult for RV dealers to keep up with so many different brands. Economic swings affect RV sales more because they are optional items and dealers cut back on intangibles like training.

Some of this can be solved by dealers by offering good service and training their staff better. Airstream could keep better tabs on their dealers and get rid of bad ones. Airstream could offer training programs for their dealers too. It's up to the company to be proactive on this because it's the only way to change things. Hiring an arrogant guy is, of course, not the answer. What supports the product also is the factory doing a better job of QC.

This Forum provides a sort of oversight on dealers, but it's pretty haphazard. Some at Airstream read the Forum posts and that may be making an impact. RV magazines don't seem to help (though I don't read them, but I've glanced at them and don't see dealer or independent product reviews) because they don't provide the services Consumer Reports or Edmunds do for auto and truck buyers.

While the most committed will drive a 1,000 miles, a lot of others will not. If Airstream wants to make sales, they have to have a better dealer network both as to quality and convenience. I think that would benefit everyone including the small number of dealers with good reputations because the reputation of the product would improve and more people would want to buy Airstreams in Arkansas too. If I knew what I know now, I would have driven to Arkansas. But I would have asked myself if I wanted to drive to Arkansas again and again for warranty work.

Gene
Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Good points!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
I was saving my 100th post for our embarkation on next month's 5k mile western journey.....but, I gotta use it for this thread.

There are reasons that people, myself included, drive long distances to purchase their trailers (and have service work done) at Airstream of Arkansas.......it's called quality, integrity, and fair pricing. That's why we drove 750 miles to buy our '08, and why it will be our second stop on next month's trip.....for modifications and warranty work.

I highly recommend Gene Morris, and the folks at AS of AR......considering the downward spiral of today's businesses, that's a rare recommendation from me.

Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I was saving my 100th post for our embarkation on next month's 5k mile western journey.....but, I gotta use it for this thread.

There are reasons that people, myself included, drive long distances to purchase their trailers (and have service work done) at Airstream of Arkansas.......it's called quality, integrity, and fair pricing. That's why we drove 750 miles to buy our '08, and why it will be our second stop on next month's trip.....for modifications and warranty work.

I highly recommend Gene Morris, and the folks at AS of AR......considering the downward spiral of today's businesses, that's a rare recommendation from me.

Chief
Yall cut it out. Gene's got work to do, and you folks are making him smile so much, that can't think of anything except celebrating.

Seriously, Gene is a great person and gives it his "ALL".

Not to many around like him, anymore.

Keep up the outstanding work Gene, and some day you can retire too, in an Airstream, what else!!!

Andy
Old 04-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Yall cut it out. Gene's got work to do, and you folks are making him smile so much, that can't think of anything except celebrating.

Seriously, Gene is a great person and gives it his "ALL".

Not to many around like him, anymore.

Keep up the outstanding work Gene, and some day you can retire too, in an Airstream, what else!!!

Andy
I just want to be able to go with you someday on one of your trip to HAWAII!!!!!!!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844