Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Demotte , Indiana
Buying concerns

I'm considering buying my first trailer, a 1999 Safari 25. What concerns should I have because of that particular trailer? It has a carpet which makes it difficult to detect any soft spots. How can I best determine whether or not it has any soft spots caused by water problems?
Quite often I read of new owners replacing axels. How is that need best determined?
It also has peeling clear coat. Can that be safely ignored or must that be addressed to prevent more serious problems? I would appreciate knowing any other concerns I should look for in a trailer that age. Thanks, LloydN
LloydN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Take an awl with you to inspect. You can stick awl through carpet and test flooring. Soft spots are going to be under fronty and rear window or other windows, doorway, front of refrigerator, under sink, under closet false deck or whereever the water pump is installed.
Peeling clear coat is part of owning Airstreams, livce with it and fantasize of polishing. Axles, go to inlandrv site and see how to measure axles, I would think a 1999 axles should be okay. A 1999 unit is not an old unit by Airstream standards.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Hi - new poster here. We have put a deposit on a 1986 Soverign 25' unit with a dealer contingent on inspection next Saturday. In reading over the posts would someone explain the "rear end seperation". We have owned other types of TT in the past and know how to look for water damage etc, but this one is a new one on us. Any comments would be appreciated. Thansk
coffeydelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Along with smily's comments - try to purchase the best condition unit at the most favorable price. Unfortunantly peeling clear coat seems to always be a small issue.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeydelsol View Post
Hi - new poster here. We have put a deposit on a 1986 Soverign 25' unit with a dealer contingent on inspection next Saturday. In reading over the posts would someone explain the "rear end seperation". We have owned other types of TT in the past and know how to look for water damage etc, but this one is a new one on us. Any comments would be appreciated. Thansk
Rear end seperation is when the rear bumper starts sagging, usually prevalent in rear bathroom units, where there is a lot of weight in rear of trailer. The undercarriage frame of the AS does not extend the whole length of the trailer, so when weight is bouncing in rear end, cause the floor and bumper to seperate from monocoque shell.
Search this subject all over this website, search sagging rear end or saggy bottom, drooping rear end, or simply rear end seperation and repair kit. The repair kit is innovative design by inland rv, I believe.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Rear end separation was an issue with certain of the longer 70's rear bath models. A '86 model 25' might have other problems, but it would not have rear end separation. Those problems had long been corrected by that time. Beginning in the early 80's Airstream went from a 3 inch frame to a 4 inch frame and made other changes that precluded any more problems with rear end separation.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
i have that model

I agree completely don't worry about rear end sag. Check the model and year forum for problems.

Let me start in saying I love my 86er. I have owned a new as and 2 70s and this is the perfect blend to me. But make no mistake they have issues also. I am pretty far through refurbishing and have had these repairs

Axles
Frame rust requiring repainting and new several new outriggers (check for rust in bumper compartment)
They have polybut piping so look for plumbing leaks.
Various floor repairs (front, front door, rear (bad).

These are well documented issues with the 80s. But as I said I think it is the perfect blend of new and old.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote