Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
san pedro , CA
Buying a new AS

Hi...just signed up yesterday. Looking at a Flying Cloud 28 and stuck on a couple of items and looking for some input:

1. Forward bed or rear?

2. Wax system from the dealer...$3,800...do we need it?

3. 7 year service plan from the dealer $3,000..do we need it?

Thanks....looking forward to hitting the road!

Cheers,

Mcksurf9
Airdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions,

1. I like front bedrooms as when you do get a view from your Airstream, it is most often from the back of the trailer. We use our bedroom for sleeping and rarely even open the curtains.

2. Absolutely not. In my opinion, that's $3800 for a $200 wax job.

3. I wouldn't get it, but some folks think that it's worth it.

Congratulations on your new baby. May you enjoy many great Airstream Adventures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I realize money is not generally an issue in Calif. but seeing that you appear to be new to RVing I would not suggest buying New. It is almost a given that you will not be completely satisfied with your first choice. Consider a used trailer close to what you think you want and test camping out for a season. It is not the front or rear bedroom that will change you mind it is where do I put my stuff and why did I really need that.

Oh yes and what they charge for a wall mounted TV is insane.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like the rear bedroom. I am probably never going to buy a new Airstream. I would not get the wax job. I would only buy the service plan if the dealer could convince me that he actually offers some service. I think you can take care of most of what the service plan offers under the Airstream warranty. Once it is all working Airstreams are pretty reliable. If you have a decent dealer and you are not comfortable fixing small electrical and plumbing repairs then the service plan looks attractive. If the plan covers annual bearing service and checking brakes that would be a big plus.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I realize money is not generally an issue in Calif. but seeing that you appear to be new to RVing I would not suggest buying New. It is almost a given that you will not be completely satisfied with your first choice. Consider a used trailer close to what you think you want and test camping out for a season. It is not the front or rear bedroom that will change you mind it is where do I put my stuff and why did I really need that.

Oh yes and what they charge for a wall mounted TV is insane.
I agree completely. Quite a few people buy then find out that they don't have the time to really use a camper, Airstream or otherwise. If you have a big yard, no homeowners association, and frequently need a guest room, office or studio, having the Airstream function as an outbuilding can justify it's cost even if you rarely take it anywhere.

However buying a 1 to 4 year old unit can save you thousands of dollars of initial depreciation - and if after a year or two you want to change you might be able to do so for only a small loss. I have an FB, and once in a while I've cursed it... usually when a rest stop is 50 miles beyond a "comfortable" need for the "rest" room. That extra 20 feet can be be really inconvenient. OTOH not having a suicide door is great. (Suicide door - hinge to the rear. If not locked properly it can swing open while underway damaging the door and the side of the Airstream. They're designed that way so they don't whack the awning arm when it's deployed.)

Twins are easier to change sheets on, and give you better access to under bed storage, and they allow you to use the bedroom for another living area - you can set up a tray table and play cards, work on your laptop, etc. Queens are better for restless sleepers who might toss and turn clear out of a twin, and for honeymooning

It's all about YOUR personal style. AND remember whatever you buy you can modify. I saw a great 28 here on the forum where they'd pulled the dinette and put in a bar/work table/desk that was cool looking and quite functional - if you didn't need the ability to convert it to a sleeping area.

Paula
Old 11-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Buying a new AS

We have the 28' rear bedroom unit and love it!
Yicks - they want 3800.00 for a wax job, that insane! On this, practise 3-B's of life:
1. Buy wax
2. Buy beer
3. Bring buddies

No idea if the service package is worth it or not. Heck your making a big purchase so have them thro it in

Anyway, that's my .02

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
100% concur with Moosetags. The wax package is a major rip-off and you may want to search the Forums for further thoughts on the warranty offering. Both are major profit items for dealers with VERY limited benefit to the customer.

ENJOY you new AS.
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I am a fan of the front bedroom for the same reasons that Moosetags mentioned. I have been in very few campgrounds/camp sites where the view out of the front is better than the view out of the back. I sleep in the bedroom with the curtains closed. We sit at the table in the back with the curtains open and enjoy the sites when we are not outside.

If you purchase new your coach will come with a guarantee. I see no need to pay extra for the wax or the extended service plan.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Should have mentioned this. If I had lots of cash and $3,000 didn't create a large dent in my account I would go for the extended service contract. But..it would so I wouldn't.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If you do buy the service contract read it carefully. Make sure that it is transferrable to another owner. You may decide to switch to something different and having a transferrable warranty would be a selling feature. Also watch for any exclusions.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
1. I have had both and I like them equally.
2. NO!
3. NO!
Deleting those 2 items will keep $6,800 in your pocket. That is a LOT of camping trips!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
My thoughts

We prefer a rear bedroom, but notice WE, it's a personal choice.
I'll wax it for $2,000. Bottle of was is $8.00, make sure it's not a cleaner wax, just wax.
Never, Ill do some myself and pay for what I need done when I want it done.

Enjoy and Travel Safe
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
We have a 2014 25' rear bedroom with twin beds. I love the rear bedroom - we always have all our curtains open and use the bedroom as an extra room during the day. But somebody mentioned not buying new until you've had some experience, and I would agree. Ours is not only our first Airstream but our first camping vehicle of any type, and if I knew last January what I know now, I think we might have gone with the 27' (my husband would go 30).

Oh, and we do keep ours in the front yard - my neighbors actually love it and it's become party central! We also use it as a guest house, and our friends/family love having their own space.
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
Everyone who shares the thought that everyone is different is certainly on the right track. And ... sometimes we do not know what we really want .... and sometimes we end up loving something that was not what we thought we wanted.

That said ... we are first time buyers and did buy new. We live in it. So far, we are thrilled. We were certain we wanted a used, front bedroom .... and at the last minute purchased a new 38, rear bedroom. More than the position of the bedroom was the 2 seating areas .... couch and dinette. We declined wax job ... and reading this, glad we did. We did purchase extended warranty (at a discount) and only. because it is transferrable is you sell the AS privately. Dealer will not give any credit for it.
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What does that wax job include, has to be more than just wax.? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Sounds like the dealer is going to make all he can on each sale.th3 warranty will cover everything that goes wrong. We purchased a 31' when it was 6 mos old, no problems.. In 14000 miles...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
I have a 25' FB twin. I like the FB because I don't have to look at my truck during meals. The twin gives the illusion of a much bigger rig.

$3,800 wax job? I think you have a dealer who will take advantage of you every chance they get. I would find a different dealer and buy used as others have suggested. I live in MA and drove to NJ to get my second Airstream. It was well worth driving right by the local dealer. New Airstreams nearly always have issues to be ironed out. For my money it is best to buy a year or two old. Let someone else work the kinks out and take the hit of a new one.

$3,000 service plan: Again, buy used, put $3,000 and the difference between new and used in the bank and be your own insurance company. After all, Warren Buffett has 50 billion in the bank because he owns the insurance companies and others buy the policies.

Regardless of how you proceed, you are in for a great adventure. For me this has been the experience of a lifetime. You wont go wrong as long as you get a good one! Have fun.

Doug
DougHart352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Prefer rear twin, would not even consider the other two
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Washington, DC , Washington, D.C.
Also getting ready to purchase a new 28 footer

1. My first thought was to go with the front bedroom because of the view. However my daughter pointed out that the rear bedroom model includes a very luxurious L shaped sofa which creates a Living room with a separate dinette. The wardrobes on either side of the queen bed make for less window space in the bedroom and also makes up for the smaller wardrobe in the hallway. With the sofa facing inward, the windows on both sides are very open, and when it is dark, there is no difference. If I am staying only one night, I many not unhitch, but if it is dark it won't matter. For an extended stay, I will probably unhitch and hopefully be able to position the forward living room towards the view. I get both sides of the issue, but the living room idea tipped the scale.

2. I am moderately handy with tools and willing to fix the small stuff, and being retired, maybe tackle some of the larger things as well.

3. With the clear coats on the new Airstreams, do you even need wax at all? Does anyone know how long the clear coat will hold up before it starts peeling off, and will wax extend its life?

Looking forward to making my first cross country this summer.
John
Geo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
1. We would only have an Airstream with living room in the front because we will always have a decent view, it is more convenient, and is more private and quiet in the rear bedroom, and is quite nice to sleep with the curtains open, front and rear. No one can see into your living space during the day because of the rock guards (sun shades) in front.

But more importantly, if and only if you can afford it, spend the money and get the Airstream you want and can use for many, many years. The bench seats in 16' to 28' Airstreams can be very uncomfortable in long-term use, some can be converted and some can not.

2. I would take this as a great reason to find different, more honest dealer.

3. The appliances this covers are warranted for two years already, and if they make it that far will usually make it seven years. It probably doesn't cover anything else.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote