Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Talking to dealers and looking at NADA website is like picking the fly poop from the pepper. Any suggestions?

I saw a used 2015 25' with twins for $55k at Tampa RV. It was in below average condition for its age, but sold in two days. I also saw a used 2015 30' at Tampa RV that was like new in the high 50's (too bad I wanted a 25'). The 30' was there for over a month! Like someone said, compare the used '14 to a used '15. But used Airstreams on dealer lots are rare. But I saw two '15s in the $50's at Tampa RV when I was waiting for my new '17 to be built in March/April 2017.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I will offer an additional comment. When we purchased the 15 (the 23 had standard AC), we wanted a coach to travel now, not next year. Going was more important to us than waiting for AS to offer the Ducted AC on the 23. It may not be that way for you. Renting an SOB for a year's worth of trips while you find your "right for you" coach may be best. Never would have worked for us, but this is all about you. Just remember - no whiners in ASing - only smiles. Do it right the first time. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We have a 14 and yes, I guess it would have been nice, but as someone else said it depends on how much you are inside,where and when you camp.
I don't notice it anymore when it comes on but then, we live in the Pacific Northwest and really prefer the cool to the heat. We probably use the heat pump more that the A/C . Also as we have had virtually no issues except for the Micropulse I would be reluctant to trade up just for the ducted air.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Traded ours for one with ducted AC. Worth every penny, plus the technology leap was amazing in just a few years newer.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Most of the responses on this thread discuss the noise element of the earlier ACs. There is also one additional annoying problem that I had with my 25' FB Safari, in that the front to back leveling of the trailer had to be exact otherwise the condensate from the AC would wind up on the floor. The condensate drain on these units are on the front side of the condensate pan underneath the AC unit. Lifting the trailer too high in the front causes the condensate to spill out over the back edge of the pan onto the floor. The noise I could live with, water on the floor I could not.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We have a 2014 FC25FB twin with factory solar. We haven’t used the AC much but when we do it’s fine, and I agree with the comment about the MicroAir Easy Start. The people we know who have ducted air like it but there were, and may still be, some issues with the duct vents misdirecting air flow in 2015. We considered getting a new 25 for other reasons but decided not to.

And now for something completely different:

The tongue weight of our 25, ready to travel with about 50% propane and water on the Airstream production line scale in JC is 1252 lbs. We were there for warranty work and I asked them to weigh it. I had suspected a weight issue.

At the time I was towing with a perfectly wonderful 2013 F-150, 144WB, supercab, max tow, max payload, 3.5 Ecoboost, with an Andersen. When I learned the tongue weight I went to the scales and found I was overloaded from the tires to the receiver. I installed a Blue Ox, went back to the scales, found I could not fix the problem to my satisfaction, traded the Ford for a 2016 GMC 2500 Duramax, reinstalled the Andersen, and went back to the scales—all good.

Newer 25 FBs have notoriously high tongue weights. Somewhere in this odyssey we considered ordering a 25 RB but we were unwilling to accept some of the other layout changes.

I love the Andersen but if you talk to Andersen, Inc. long enough they will admit the hitch will not transfer more than 500 lbs.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
From the replies I've read so far, I think I'm the only one to say go with the non-ducted especially with the cost savings. I bought a 2015 19' International (new) that I thought sounded like I was sitting in a wind tunnel when the non-ducted A/C was running (but boy did it cool nicely). Fast forward to 2 years later in 2017 when I discovered the 20' Flying Cloud and "just had to have it". It's ducted, very noisy, and worst of all, it vibrates the floor, ceiling, and walls. I can even feel the vibration lying on the bed.

My local dealer made several adjustments to no avail. They finally threw up their hands and replaced it with another new model. Yep, you guessed it. Same situation. I'm going to take it to Jackson Center next spring....maybe they can do something.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Love my ducted air. My wife still thinks it's loud.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Here's another way to look at things:

How long do you plan to play with this specific trailer? Is it a 20 year purchase or will you trade in 5 years? Right now ducted air is the "wiz bang new" item. In 5 years there will be some other cool feature. Both the 2014 and the 2015 will not have that feature. My guess is that some sort of heating like the Alde system will be standard in all of the trailers. Who knows what it will be ....

If you are going to live with the trailer for decades, spend a *lot* of time looking at all the details. This is hardly the only change that has been made over the last decade or two.

None of this is to suggest one or the other is the right one to go with. It just is another angle to the decision.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #30
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
It Depends?

All things being equal, of course most people will choose quiet over noisy. But is the additional cost worth it? It depends on your situation. Some questions to ask that might help you figure out where you are on the continuum ....

- Full time or occasional occupant?
- How often do you need to use AC?
- How often do you need to use AC while sleeping at night?
- What % of the time do you boondock without a generator (which means you
can't use AC anyway)?
- Besides ductless air, are there any other 'must have' features that come with
the post 14' models that will help justify the additional cost?
- How does this feature affect resale value if you plan to sell within five years?

We are full-timers. We are rarely in hot climates during the summer months and only need to use AC occasionally and rarely at night while sleeping. We boondock two or three days per week when on the move. We think our 14' rig will be easier to sell when the time comes because it will be at a lower price point than post 14' models.

For us, the ductless air would be a 'nice to have' and not worth the additional cost. For others, it could easily be worth the cost. As with many things, there is no right or wrong answer - it's more a matter of what works best for your situation and your perceived value.

Good luck with your decision and negotiation.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote