Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Fulks Run , Virginia
Before we buy

Is there an outlet (hopefully in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) where we. Could rent a medium size Airstream with tow vehicle. Seems to be a logical step before making a major investment.
SkillmanBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
No.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is the only place I am aware of:
Airstream2GO | Rental Airstream Journeys
Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you want to do that, you have to fly to Vegas-

https://airstream2go.com/
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You're out of luck. You best bet is to window shop.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
There's an Airstream dealer in northern VA near DC, Safford RV. Never been there so I cant say anything good or bad.

Have you ever camped before? Most folks seem to work their way up to an Airstream from older and or cheaper rigs. Give us some background and what you're trying to do.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Cheaper to buy a trailer than rent at those rates! Yeeouch!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Errrr, that is spendy! May as well by a used one at those prices!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Yes, 13 grand for two weeks is a bit much.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
It is a bit much, but they also provide the tow vehicle, so keep in mind you're renting two vehicles in reality and all the associated costs. The prices are on par with exotic rentals.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The prior posts missed one opportunity - Virginia Highland Haven just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Copper Hill VA.... Between Roanoke and Floyd VA

It's an Airstream Only Campground, and while you can't RENT an Airstream, you could meet with a number of Airstream owners - some of whom might just have an Airstream for sale. They'll almost all be willing to share experiences with you.

Paula
Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Airstream 4 Rent in Phoenix AZ rents trailer and Suburban.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Should add, Airstreams4Rent changed their Business name to RetroRVs and remain located in Phoenix AZ. They are still in the rental business along with restoration.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I think you need some baby steps here. Buy a truck & see how that works first. If you don't like it forget the whole idea & join Hilton Rewards, if the truck works buy a cheaper TT like was said in an earlier post. NOW, if you like the lifestyle, IT's AIRSTREAM TIME!
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Ditto to the above. I think there is an influx of folks who are romanticizing the idea of owning an Airstream, and think it's going to be something it's not.

Also, Foiled Again had a good point, Highland Haven here in Floyd, VA where I am at presently is holding an Airstream rally this weekend. Place is almost full with friendly folks who would answer all your question in better fashion than any sales person.

Airstreaming is about community, and this is the friendliest park I've ever been too.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Fly out to Utah to visit Zion National Park. Contact
Zion RV Trailer Rentals

Not Airstreams but if you'll get an idea what its like to camp in an RV.

If you like the experience then you can continue exploring getting you own RV.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
What you want to do is admirable, but difficult to accomplish. I tried, but had to settle on something a little simpler.
Rent a class C and go for a trip. Reasonable price and easy to find. This will tell you of you like the basic concept. Traveling slow, in and out of campgrounds, the people, the pace.
Then go look at some airstreams. You WILL fall in love with one. Paula's tip about visiting some other air streamers can help you find the one that's best for you.
Then pull the trigger and have fun!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #18

Montague , Michigan
Like you, we have been interested in renting an Airstream to try before buying. We have not found much, especially in the Eastern US. We asked at a couple of dealers (naively thinking that a used Airstream would be a fantastic sales tool.) Their cool response suggested there was little point in pursuing this option with dealers further afield.
Others here have mentioned airstream2go.com, which says they are the only factory authorized rental source in North America. It sounds like a memorable vacation opportunity if it fits your budget.
If you can consider something outside Virginia, another rental option is livingairstream.com. As I understand it, they have rentals in Denver and in San Francisco. A mix of sizes and vintages.
We saw an article about a few KOA campgrounds having Airstreams that you can rent. The Bar Harbor KOA in Maine is one example. You wouldn't get the experience of towing with that option.
In Michigan, where we are from, we were able to find an owner who rents out his Airstream with a tow vehicle, though his was an older, refurbished unit. I expect you have already explored this option in Virginia.
If you come up with any interesting options, please post them. It would be of interest to others.
Almandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #19

Montague , Michigan
I saw this article on Fortune.com by a journalist that rented an Airstream from airstream2go and thought it was interesting.
Renting an Airstream for the ultimate luxury road trip - Fortune
Almandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
We too wanted to rent an Airstream before buying one -- actually, we needed to just go "camping" before buying an Airstream. So, we rented a 2011 International Signature 23 from livingairstream.com. We didn't tow it...we just had them drop it off at a campsite -- the San Franscisco RV Resort. We stayed for 3 days weekend and the cost was about $200 a night for the Airstream plus the campground fees-- we went at the end of January so it was off season. My experience with livingairstream.com was terrific. And, it was nearly as expensive as Airstreamtogo which I had also considered. By the way, I live on the East Coast and I couldn't find anyone on the East Coast who would rent Airstreams.

We absolutely loved our weekend in the Airstream and decided that we liked the camping thing so we would move forward with purchasing one. Still, the Airstream was a big purchase and we weren't sure if we really liked camping or if we just liked the Airstream. So instead of buying an Airstream we bought a T@B Sofitel. It was half the price of the Airstream we wanted but would allow us to learn the basics of RV ownership and camping. We practised in the backyard with the T@B for a month or so then went on our first camping trip to a nearby KOA. We also LOVED that camping experience but discovered the T@B was too small. So, this past Friday, we just picked up our Sport 16. On the one hand, I kind of feel that I should have just purchased the Airstream first. However, even though it was a very short amount of time, the experience with the T@B was invaluable.
So, I guess the moral of my story is if you already know that you like RVing/camping, go for the Airstream -- but make sure you get the right size for your needs! If you don't know if you like Rving/camping, then make sure that you do before investing in the Airstream. Hope that helps!
Bewell is offline   Reply With Quote