Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Question Are Extra Pads a Pain?

I am going through the process of selecting an Airstream model and have found this forum to be helpful so I am going to try another topic. Is it a pain to have to store the pads needed to set up the extra sleeping areas? Seems like they are needed in all Airstream models other than the 28’ and 30’ Serenity and the 30’ FC. I find myself leaning towards picking one of those models because of this. Am I putting too much emphasis on this? We have two married kids in their 20’s who may go with us on occasion when we take trips but that will not happen too much so maybe I shouldn’t worry so much about it. Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Reno , NV
This was our #1 reason we chose a International over a Globetrotter. The 25 FB GT has back cushions attached to the wall. We have two teens (13/14) and we didn't want to store and then get the cushions out when it was bed time. But you case may be different. You won't have to take them most of the time, but then, you have to store them at your home somewhere.

Runs_4_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
I have two teens that travel with us for extended trips in our 25FB. For us, any and all possibilities for reducing bedtime setup and general clutter are hugely helpful. Not sure I would worry too much for occasional trips though. (I say this based on how very long it took for us to become truly frustrated with the evening rituals.) So... I would not lt pillow config influence your decision.

If I was buying today, I'd get a Globetrotter. The international design is starting to look a little old. (This is very sad mostly because I have an international.)
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
People frequently buy something they love - and later remodel it.
Bigger IS easier to modify, and to store extra stuff. Consider twin beds too. On a rainy day you've got 2 living rooms.
Fast conversion of a couch or dinette onto a bed and back? Use sleeping bags. Roll them up and use as couch pillows or store in an overhead locker.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The seat cushions are used for the extra beds. You just move them around, no other storage is necessary.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Guests use a tent. Harrump.
WBCCI #6679
In Tucson, Arizona, will hold in place till the pandemic is more under control, then PNW/Canada
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It very much depends on just what bugs you. For some the "convert to a bed" thing is just part of the nightly ritual. Four adults in an AS will always involve some level of compromise. There is no "4 permanent adult beds" configuration to pick. Even with a 5th wheel, you get into a fairly large rig in order to have that kind of setup.

If this is a "many weeks at a time" sort of trip, it's going to get a bit tight. A tent might indeed be a nice addition to the mix. If this is a long weekend once a year, it can be worked out.

An equally significant question is how / where you store / haul all the stuff associated with 4 adults. If you have two reasonable sized vehicles, it can work out ok. Packing everybody into the TV and heading off for three weeks .... yikes ....

As you go up in size of trailer, the size of the tanks also goes up. The more people you have, the more water you will use. Running over to the dump station can get old. I would watch that as you pick between models.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
What about the Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk model. We too really wanted a Globetrotter however the wife didn't want to convert a bed every night for our two kids so we ended up with the 30' Bunk which works great floorpan wise, larger fresh water tank...we just are left lusting after the Globetrotter Decor. I've ask very nicely for JC to build us a Globetrotter 30FB Bunk BUT no luck yet.
Wheelestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I don’t understand the question. There are no cushions to store in our 27ft FC.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
R.U.N.N.O.F.T.

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bethesda , Maryland
Smile Non-Problematic, at least for us.

We have a 2020 Globetrotter 27 FBQ (I know it says 2019 to the left, cause the Airforums won't let me select that, YET). The four extra cushions fit snugly but perfectly into the back of the closet in two layers, still leaving enough room to hang clothes etc in front of them. There is a ledge in the back that I set the first two (one wide/one narrow) on, then the last two (one wide/one narrow) in front of them resting on the back of the closet floor. Its a snug fit, but that helps hold them in place.

We have two of those hanging cubby hole thingys in front of them that have shelves/drawers in them and so far it’s working great!

You should try this and see for yourself before you make a decision.

Wrap-a-round side/back cushions are mounted to the wall. Very comfortable to sit and relax or eat with enough room to sit sideways and face kitchen/TV. Downside is they take up 2-3” each and the table may be a couple inches smaller since it’s on a popup pedestal, not hinged to the wall like the other models.

Have only slept 6 nights in it but so far we love it!

And, I also like the tent idea! But that would depend on the guests...
Runnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Henderson , Kentucky
We have a 2018 international FB 23 ft.
We use our dinette cushions when making a bed for visitors( usually a grandkid)
However , I did buy a twin sized egggrate pad to use. We store it in the overhead above our bed. Also use twin footed sheet over the cushions as we found that sleeping bags slip around too much!
gail lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have the 27' GT and you do have some cushions to store. After a year, we've settled on keeping 2 in the trailer at all times as a back rest for the seating area and just hauling the extra ones when we need them (which is 1 trip out of 7, more or less). When they are being hauled, we chuck them in the shower -with 4 adults chances are we won't be showering in the trailer. Plus, we have a set-up big boy outside shower tent, so if anyone feels the need to suddenly shower, they can do it outside...as long as there aren't any mosquitos it works really well and keeps moisture and humidity out too).

With the extra people, we also haul 2 folding memory foam pads to make the dinette area more comfortable for old folks to sleep on. Those go on top of the already really comfy twin beds when we are traveling, during the day you don't even notice they are there. Those folks also use sleeping bags which can be stored at the foot of the twin beds.

With extra people you need extra room -for clothes, for food, for dishes and everything. Teens love tents, so that's always an option.

It's working out something that feels comfortable to you and works with your lifestyle.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
My new Country Song..

5 People in an Airstream, 1 Black Tank..My New Country Song..
Thank you Airstream Forums for the Inspiration!
Bobfrapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
+1 here for storage in the closet too

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Are Extra Pads a Pain?

We like our 30’ international whether it’s just my wife and I or when the kids and their friends are along. The kitchen / bath is large and the lounge is very open with lots of good light.

We modified the lounge and dinette to create more sleeping space for taller / bigger people. Those youngsters are growing up fast!

If it’s 90% just the two of you I wouldn’t sweat it and let cushion storage be a factor in your decision making process. Get whatever floor plan and model you love. Others can sleep outside in tents!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...um-182406.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	348698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	348699  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	348700  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
We have had a 25ft TT, a bunk house 34ft, a 34ftEagle TT, now down size to 28 Intl Serenity. We went 8 weeks, 7500 miles and did just great. We invoke the 2-4-6 rule. Seats 6, feeds 4, sleeps 2.
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Just the wife and I so usually just leave extra cushions at home. I like your 6 x 4 x 2 rule. Works for me.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
I would just leave it at home until needed. I would just put the pads on the bed while traveling to campground. That's what I would do if I have the 30 footer.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote