Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Am I getting scammed?

Hi all-

I think I may be in trouble with a purchase. I sent postal money orders to these people, they seemed strange, had a very wierd way of how they asked me to contact them, and they haven't delivered the trailer as agreed. This has been going on for over 4 months. I'm just a retired guy looking to take my family camping- I'm not up for a court battle- my health isn't up to it.

They acted like they have a selective business- "we don't release our trailers to just anyone, we need to make sure you're qualified to use it properly..." This kind of stuff was strange to me- I had money and wanted a trailer.

I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this company- Truly Vintage Trailers and the people named Jim Jarzabek and Amy Centers? Am I the only one dumb enough to get hammered this way? Will they ever bring the trailer? They don't answer emails or their phone.

Thank ya. Bags
Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking they look.....

legit...i say that only because i have seen jim on the forums before...and there is a company website with contact info:

We are just a phone call away at (937) 671-4557 or email us by clicking the link below.

info@trulyvintagetrailers

good luck...yt

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jim Jarzabek is a member of these forums. I do not know him, but he was a frequent poster earlier this year.
Four months is a long time to wait for anything. The amount of money you are out would be a factor in what action you should follow. If you sent him money, I assume that you have a contract. If you have a contract with someone and the other party refused to honor the contract the only way to settle it would be through the court system. If you can not work this out, I suggest that you seek legal advise.
I wish you good luck with this matter.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 12-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaggy
Hi all-

They acted like they have a selective business- "we don't release our trailers to just anyone, we need to make sure you're qualified to use it properly..." This kind of stuff was strange to me- I had money and wanted a trailer.
Welcome to the forums. I just spent some fun time on the Truly Vintage Trailer web page and must admit they have some truly vintage trailers. I need to ask, what kind of trailer did you buy since it appears they do not deal in a lot of Airstreams? How did you first find them? Did you inspect the trailer or have someone else look at it? Is the trailer you bought already restored? Just curious.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
More information

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaggy
Hi all-

I think I may be in trouble with a purchase. I sent postal money orders to these people, they seemed strange, had a very wierd way of how they asked me to contact them, and they haven't delivered the trailer as agreed. This has been going on for over 4 months. I'm just a retired guy looking to take my family camping- I'm not up for a court battle- my health isn't up to it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this company- Truly Vintage Trailers and the people named Jim Jarzabek and Amy Centers? Am I the only one dumb enough to get hammered this way? Will they ever bring the trailer? They don't answer emails or their phone.

Thank ya. Bags
More information, how did they want you to contact them? Where did you send the money. Was it them or someone posing as them? If someone told the "we don't release our trailers to anyone line" I would still be making jokes to them to their face about it.

BTW if you sent them a US Postal Money Order and they cashed it and did not provide the goods you have a Federal Case. Go to your post office and speak with the Post Master and the will put the Postal Police on it.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 12-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Were you instructed to make the Money Order out to CASH?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have seen ever one of the trailers he has listed in Tin Can Tourist ads. I would set up another email account and contact him using an assumed name and see if you get a response, that will tell you if they are avoiding you are just going out of business. I hope you sent as little money as possible.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 12-17-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Bags -- It would be good to know they type of trailer that you purchased. I don't imagine it is still listed on his website ... or is it?

Airstream Forums inserts a line stating 'Commercial Vendor' right below their user name in a post. There are policies in place to prevent over-commercialization of the info sharing here. Jim Jarzabek has not made a post at the Forums since May. I do know a member who has successfully purchased Airstreams from this dealer. We place no warranty on vendor's business practice but we do have control over Forums input. I still feel bad about your experience.

We need to know more. What type of trailer did you "order?" What communication attempts have you made? And when? I see only email & phone # contact info. Are you receiving replies? Do you have an address to send a registered letter?

As a very, very final resort you could contact the attorney general in the state where you sent your money order.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can send a certified letter to the same address you sent the money order. If it is signed for, you will know they at least are still at that address. A certified letter is only a few dollars, and may get a response.
In the letter, obviously, ask him to contacvt you ASAP, as you are very concerned about the deal, and be sure to give plenty of contact info. Name, address, phone number, email, smoke signals, the more ways to contact you the better.
Also, I know what area Jim lives in, if you sent the money order somewhere on the West coast of the US, chances are good it was not him.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
What is the web address of trulyvintagetrailers?
www.trulyvintagetrailers.com does not work?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Truly Vintage Trailers

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
He has a listing running now, check below site

Vintage Airstream Club
Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If you are paid in full on the trailer, (I hope you are not) I would take a drive out there with my tow vehicle and try and pick it up. Call the phone number and tell them your intentions. Explain to them that if they do not have your unit ready for delivery that you expect a full refund. Don't forget to mention that your friend "Bubba" will be joining you on the trip.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 12-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My first reacation was yes. But then I read more of the posts on who this was and it is true Jim's been an active member for a while. I'd exhaust every possilbe avenue trying to contact him. If you have and some time has passed, then, there may be cause for concern, but even then, you never know what the whole situation is. Jim could be on vacation, or a death in the family, sick family memeber where he had to travel and stay.

If he wasn't a forum member who folks knew, I'd have accelerated your fears a bit, but some folks can vouch for Jim, so do your best and if still no answer after a while (after all this is a business and business doesn't stop for personal matters too long), then I'd start to make a bit of noise.

I will say that 4 months is a VERY long time.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Then agian, Jim too could be sick or dead. His last activity on the forum was May 9th.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
You should know that you have the backing of the US Government with a postal money order and they take this very seriously. If you can't get any satisfaction any other way you can file a report at your local PO and they will get you an investigator.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Looks like I'm not alone-

I was contacted and told that a member here was also having problems- the trailer was misrepresented and she was never given the title. I was told her name was Lynn and she has a 1959 Overlander in Texas.

Also was informed about a woman named Karen, who gave a deposit and was burned- that was $700.

You folks here are vouching for this guy? I'm looking into wire fraud. Seems he focuses on women and retirees. My money order was made to Amy Centers and when I call with a hidden number no answer, left 100 messages and no reply- same with email, when I used a friends phone from a different area code, they finally answered and then hung up when they heard who it was.

I contacted a local attorney, he said I needed to go to Ohio or Arizona wherever they work out of now, and hire an attorney there.

Nice people. Really enhanced my camping views. Bags
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
more info needed

I wonder if this could be a scam based on somebody hacking into, or posing as, Jim's business or website. This kind of thing happens all the time on Ebay- is that where you heard about this trailer? As already posted here, much more info is needed from you to clarify the sequence of events before any useful advice can be given. Hopefully there is a good reason for the delay, and you get what you paid for.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
This is interesting-

http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=jarzabek
Old 12-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Bags ---- Do you have a physical address of this busness. If so perhaps someone here on the forums lives near enough to check it out and see if this business does infact exist. Years ago wife and I were burned on a carpet purchase. I finally went to the busness address, you guessed it, a vacant building. You've waited long enough --Pieman
Closed Thread