Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Scarborough , Maine
28' vs. 30' Asking for your input on which to purchase

We have found a 28' International Serenity that we like very much. The question is, should we go for a 30" unit? The MSRP difference is less than $ 10,000.00. The 30" has greater storage and a higher carrying capacity. GVW is 7,600 vs. 8,800. (We are not interested in the Classic in part becuase of its heavier weight, GVW being 10,000lbs.)
I realize that the 28' is a little less than 28' in length, and the 30' is closer to 31' in length.
We are planning on doing a lot of traveling, with grandchilden. I'm thinking that the extra weight that we would be hauling around, based on GVW, should be under a maximum of 1,200 lbs. The trailer would be 2 feet longer. Would these difference ultimately prove to be negligible in terms of mpg towing, and in overall operating costs, including the cost of campsites, etc...??.

If the 30 foot unit would have about the same operating costs as the 28 foot unit, my goal would be to get the 30 unit.

We are looking to travel to all the National Parks, and other important places of interest such as Washington DC over the next 5 to 10 years.

We would greatly appreciate hearing from experienced folks on this matter so that we might benefit from your experiences.

Thank you.

Dave E.
dearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hello dearly. Welcome to Air Forums.

Well... you've asked the age-old question - does size matter?

In my opinion, it depends. We currently have a 29' and that's all we've ever owned. Never had another RV. The 29' was intimidating but we mangaged and now couldn't imagine traveling with much less.

The 27' Serenity would be the minimum we're interested in. We like the 30' too and I'd say go for it if you think the extra storage/space/amenities are in your favor.

I agree the Classic is heavier but it comes with a significantly larger fresh water tank and this can be important when traveling. I don't know why Airstream doesn't put the larger fresh tank in the Serenity - from what I see on the floor plans the fresh tank should fit. I'm sure there's some reason - maybe just cost. So for us... we will consider the Classic to get the larger fresh tank.

Back to length. If you're not shying away from the 30 it seems like it makes sense to go with the larger (longer) size.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have had three different 30' Airstreams, but never had a 28'. So I cannot give you a comparison. Though, I really liked the extra space in the 30'.
I can tell you that you should be considering the tow vehicle along with the trailer. My opinion is that you will need at least a 3/4 ton with a tow package if you are going in the mountains with either a 28' or 30'.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
when I talked to people that have owned many Airstreams they have always said 25' is ideal. Also the National Parks are very tight.
Richard
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hello dearly, and welcome. My vote is for the 30' floorplan. After living full-time in a 28' for a year or so, we traded it for this 30' a few months ago, and we're still spontaneously commenting to each other about how well they utilized those additional 3 feet. Here's a few of those differences:

1) Assuming you order the L-lounge (a more versatile choice than the recliners), the shorter section is 10" longer, which is much more comfortable, by comparison.

2) The area beneath that section is available for both interior AND exterior storage, (not available in the 28' floorplan due to the location of the converter, which moved to beneath the fridge in the 30').

3) More precious countertop space to begin with, and its location next to the entry door allows the use of a fold-down countertop extension, not able to be used in the 28'.

4) The "hall" closet is almost twice as big, by comparison.

5) The lav is also bigger; allowing more clearance in the toilet area. (At 6'4" tall, I could not close the lavatory door completely while sitting on the toilet in the 28').

6) The fresh water tank holds 15 gallons more than the tank in the 28'.

7) 28' models have a plastic floor register in the entry area just forward of the dinette; I broke it twice by accidently stepping on it...sorry, but it looks like something you'd find in a park model (or a "double-wide").
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We originally thought we wanted a 28'er, but the 30'er "found us" and we definitely do not regret having the 30'er.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You could easily be happy with either - but you said plural "grandchildren" - so to me that makes the 30 a no brainer.

The forestry parks are getting more big RV spaces every year. East of the Mississippi - virtually zero problem. In the west, esp in the mountains you might have a few problems, but most times you'll find a space. Truth is that "25 feet" generally means 25 feet Plus the tongue. You might have to unhitch to fit in a few places.

Oh - and if you get tired of it within the next two - three years - PM ME!!!!!!

Paula
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When traveling I want a smaller Airstream.

When parked I want a larger Airstream.

The greatest difference may be in type of tow vehicle required.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Sounds like money is no object if you think $10,000 is insignificant. So the answer is simple. Go with the one whose floorplan you like better. But it seems like you are talking yourself into the 30 footer. Go for it.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
I've only had a 28' and our family of four LOVES it. We've made so many memories, I don't see us ever letting the one we have go. Having said that, if I could go back and start all over again ... I might choose a 25'. We'd have adequate amenities in a 25' yet we'd tow a little lighter and fit (and store) in many more spots.

... and, as Doug K said, it does always seem to cross my mind when I'm rolling down the road that my trailer does not need to be so big.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
The 30' Serenity wasn't available when we bought our 28' and I think we might have been tempted had they been. We're happy with the 28' Serenity but I think if you have the budget then the 30' might be the one to go for.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
We love out 30 footer! Had a 25 CCD before, and it just didn't have the storage or the space we wanted. If your looking for comfort, and storage, I'd recommend the 30. Have you seen the bathroom??? True that there are a few (very few) campgrounds we can't fit it, but it's really worth it to us. The best advise I can give is just don't buy anything you're gonna regret. Happy shopping!
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Welcome,, and you are with a bunch of great folks for advice about Airstreams.

My wife and I have a older 27 foot Overlander and for the 2 of us,, it works just great... But we can also tell you the moment you toss in 2 grand-kids the game changes real fast.. They seem to need more personal items each than my wife and I need together.. So look at the larger trailer for sure just too have the extra storage.. Reason below..

We found out by luck that if they each have a drawer,, or shelf for just there items,, it makes them feel better as being part of the team,, and not just tag alongs for the trip.. Then if they tend to battle,, having each a spot for the stuff keeps problems of who's what and where. And who got into my things battles..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I agree the Classic is heavier but it comes with a significantly larger fresh water tank and this can be important when traveling. I don't know why Airstream doesn't put the larger fresh tank in the Serenity - from what I see on the floor plans the fresh tank should fit. I'm sure there's some reason - maybe just cost. So for us... we will consider the Classic to get the larger fresh tank.
The 30' Serenity has a 54 gal fresh water tank - just like the Classics. The 28' Internationals have only a 39 gal fresh water holding tank.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
The 30' Serenity has a 54 gal fresh water tank - just like the Classics. The 28' Internationals have only a 39 gal fresh water holding tank.

-Chris
Thanks, I did not realize that. I was just double-checking the AS web site and noticed the larger fresh water tank and saw your post about the same time.

We really like the front bedroom layouts but I don't think that's available in the 30'. Maybe next year.

Back to the OP - even though I don't have direct experience with the rigs you're considering, I'd suggest the 30' particularly now that it's been noted that 30' has the 54 gallon fresh water tank.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Scarborough , Maine
28" vs. 30" serenity

What a fantastic response. We appreciated everyone’s technical insight such as the water tank size. Also the reminder that when traveling with kids, each should have their own drawer or plastic bin.
As several of you could see, I had mostly talked myself into the 30 footer. I did want to check with all of you experienced owners, to see if there was a reason to go smaller. I’m now convinced that we should get the 30 foot unit.
We also saw the note on the front bedroom, and agree that that too would be nice if it was offered. We will check with our dealer on that. I also read a blog suggesting that for 2013 the larger units 30’, and above would only be available in the Classic. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, I will need to get my hands on a 2012, 30’ serenity soon.
Dearly
dearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Speaking of drawers, unless you order the convection microwave, you will not get ANY drawers in the galley (for silverware, etc.)...an unfortunate compromise for a trailer that size, but at least the convection microwave is a worthwhile addition, as is the 2nd air conditioner and the streetside awnings.

Insofar as visiting the national parks, don't sweat it...if it's worth seeing, there will be adequate accommodations either in it or near it.

Finally, although we tow ours with a 1/2 ton, we travel pretty light, and rarely even have any passengers. However, if you plan to routinely bring kids, grandkids, bikes, generators, grills, etc., you probably need a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote