Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We couldn't be happier with ours. I prefer the queen even though it is across the width of the trailer. We don't have that closed in feeling since the bed is not up against the front window. The visibility is something else we really like about the FB. The scenery can be enjoyed from the front and the rear.

We travel in ours for 3 months straight each year not counting the local rallies we attend each month. Never had the itch for a larger one since this one servers us well.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Provincial Park restrictions here are 32'.
Regardless, I plan to do most of my camping in a RV park.

Was thinking of possibly full-timing in the future, so went with the 27' with wrap-around windows. The 27' has more wardrobe/pantry space. The island bed gives it more of a home vs. RV feel. There is actually enough room in one corner of the bedroom to put a small portable canvas bureau with five vertical drawers too.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #23
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Provincial Park restrictions here are 32'.
Regardless, I plan to do most of my camping in a RV park.

Was thinking of possibly full-timing in the future, so went with the 27' with wrap-around windows. The 27' has more wardrobe/pantry space. The island bed gives it more of a home vs. RV feel. There is actually enough room in one corner of the bedroom to put a small portable canvas bureau with five vertical drawers too.
Is an "RV park"..uh ...really camping....????

Im hacking on you no offense intended...

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We looked at a lot of 25 footers but then found an excellent used (2005) 28 footer. At first it seemed overwelming but after a few short trips, no problem. And, we love the queen bed a bunch better on the 28 which is actually only 2 feet longer than a 25. We have a rear bed model which we love because most of the time we back in to a spot where we can be assured of more quiet sleeping situation which is very important to me. And, the extra room is really a bonus. That said, the 25 is nice and would have been great too.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
It's kinda hard to go wrong with any of these things, isn't it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL

Shane
I don't know, this place looks pretty cool! We were camping at Dillon lake and drove by this place in Breckenridge CO.

http://www.tigerrunresort.com/photos.php

They allow all rigs except pop ups.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Teto

Oh yeah!!....I LOVE to play tennis when I'm "Camping"

Whatever flotes 'ye bote....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAMN20IN20THE20ADIRONDACKS201.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	131710  
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #28

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Oh yeah!!....I LOVE to play tennis when I'm "Camping"

Whatever flotes 'ye bote....
It was pretty nice but mostly big rigs, I thought it would be funny to take the Bambi there but we stayed here instead. much cheaper. The only problem was the lack of trees due to the Pine beetle. very sad.

This State park had slips for up to 30'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3243758812.png
Views:	190
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	131711   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2308673765.png
Views:	152
Size:	955.9 KB
ID:	131712  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
It was pretty nice but mostly big rigs, I thought it would be funny to take the Bambi there but we stayed here instead. much cheaper. The only problem was the lack of trees due to the Pine beetle. very sad.

This State park had slips for up to 30'.
Great choice...
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
No popups, tents, or truck campers? My kinda place.

Keep the floppy hats and Birkenstockers out with the mosquitos...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post

Shane
Oh, no offense taken.

If I wanted to be hot, sweaty, and dirty, I would have taken-up asphalt laying or gone "camping." Either or.

To paraphrase.....camping is nature's way of supporting the RV parks.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
To paraphrase.....camping is nature's way of supporting the RV parks.
and MJ...is Mother Natures way of saying high when dock'n.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob,

And now back to the question. The west has most of the national parks, monuments and forests. In many, the campgrounds were built long ago when rigs were shorter so they have fewer spaces for rigs longer than 25'. The access roads can be narrow making backing in a chore. Nonetheless, the 27' and 28' could fit in many locations but it might take a bit more backing skill. And the 25' is really 26'. The 27' is one inch longer than the 28' and right around 28'.

We have enough storage space for us and have traveled 10,000 miles on an Alaska trip, but if you are used to more storage, downsizing may be a challenge.

The difference between the 25' and 27' is not only storage, but the bedroom is about a foot longer to accommodate the bed orientation. The other foot is in the large wardrobe and pantry storage. I vaguely recall there are 2 options for wardrobes or nightstands on each side of the 27' bed and one may have more storage. The nightstands may be combined with overhead cabinets.

The utility door for storage under the bed in the 27' faces forward and some people have problems with water leaking in around the door. It is also more of a challenge to get stuff in and out of a door located behind the propane cover. The question was raised whether the 27' trailer is weaker in the front because of the door and whether this can lead to front end separation. I don't know the answer to that, but just point out it was mentioned on one or more threads.

When we looked at trailer in 2007, the price difference was around $4,000 for Safaris. It may be more for more expensive trim lines.

How nice not to talk about that other subject.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The 27' is one inch longer than the 28' and right around 28'.
I think you mean the 28 is 1 inch longer that the 27' 11"

Quote:
We have enough storage space for us and have traveled 10,000 miles on an Alaska trip, but if you are used to more storage, downsizing may be a challenge.
I think the 25 may have more wardrobe than the 25????
Can that be correct, because they don't show overhead storage.

What is any OH is there?

Quote:
When we looked at trailer in 2007, the price difference was around $4,000 for Safaris. It may be more for more expensive trim lines.
The MSRP's are now but you can roughly take 20% off in your head
There are late '11 prices early '11 was a bit less

Flying Cloud
25 64K
27 71K
International
25 71K
27 73K

So to look at the FC there is a real difference of $7K less 20% or $5600

Quote:
How nice not to talk about that other subject.
For sure!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob,

I checked the specs in my brochure for 2008 models and the 27' is really 28' and the 28' is really 27'11". I see no reason why they would have switched that around, but maybe the did. I think it is funny; that is why I remembered it.

Somewhere I've seen pictures of the 27'—maybe on the Airstream website—and the nightstand version had overheads over the bed and the wardrobe version did not. The floor plans come from the 2008 brochure too, but I'm sure you've seen them on the company website. I find overheads and drawers better use of space than wardrobes so long as there is some wardrobe for shirts and all the things my wife wants to put on hangers. How much difference is there in volume—I don't know.

Now that I think of it, when I asked the salesman in October, 2007, what the price difference was between the 27' and the 25', he said $4,000, but that may have been a discounted price. We had only started negotiations, so who knows what would have happened had we decided on a 27'? We had a hard time deciding between the two—we thought about: more length may make camping more difficult, driving more difficult, was the 27' too much weight for our truck, double vs. single sink, and, of course, the $4,000. We decided that less is more and bought the 25'. I don't know if the 28" was on display at the dealer and at this point, I think that is also a good choice and if we were to do it again, we'd look hard at the 27', 28' and 25' and have trouble deciding.

The 2011 price differences between the International and the FC make no sense unless they load up the 25' International with every option ever created. Ours is an SE, so it was at the time, midway between the International and the regular Safari. I think there was about a $2,000 difference between the Safari SE and the International.

Gene
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Gene is absolutely right about the 28' being a tad smaller than the 27'

For what it's worth, we were looking at a 27FB International as they are quite sexy looking but, at the last minute, we decided on the 28' International Serenity. The seating configuration of the couch and dinette worked better for us as we often travel with two kids. However, even when it's just the two of us, we love the distinctly separate areas in the living space.

We have the wardrobe set-up in the bedroom rather than the night-stands and the storage room is staggering. We haven't even begun to fill any of the storage space (again, even with the kids)

Good luck choosing!
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #37
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
A friend of mine mentioned these points.

His biggest negative on the 25 is that you enter from the rear and, in some tight campsites, that means you are always entering/leaving your trailer facing the grey/black drain pipes of the trailer next to you).

He didn't have a specific preference between front/rear bedroom. When you back up to woods/nobody behind you, it's nice to have the dinette/living area in the rear. When you back up to other trailers in a site directly behind yours, it's better to have the bedroom be up against the trailer behind you than your living area. So, sometimes it's better one way and sometimes the other – that's why I don't have a particular opinion one way or the other though I know may do

Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post

His biggest negative on the 25 is that you enter from the rear and, in some tight campsites, that means you are always entering/leaving your trailer facing the grey/black drain pipes of the trailer next to you).
I don't pay any attention to that, but sometimes at the rear of a pad, there are obstructions such as large rocks or trees. Some campsites are just long enough and you have to back right up to the absolute end and then you can't get out the door, but we just move a bit forward and solve that.

Another possible problem at a tight campground is that someone's slide out or part of their 5th wheel is right up to the line and you have to maneuver past it. Some are so high a short person can walk under them, but my wife is tall and they seem to come out and whack her in the forehead. I haven't been whacked by those things; I specialize in walking into our windows when they are open. Whacking can happen no matter where the door is, but seems more likely with a rear door.

We don't consider these major problems, but others might.

Gene
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Hi Bob,

Missed you at the CanOpener this year. Maybe you'll make the next one.

We bought a new 2010 25FB Flying Cloud in February and sold our 2002 Classic 25'. Why? We think there's more liveability in a FB floorplan that will accomodate us better on extended trips in the near future. After seeing Chief's recliner modification on his 25FB, I knew I wanted to take the door side of the dinette out and table and replace them with a recliner in the corner. This allows two people, on rainy days, to live more comfortably (one has the sofa and the other the recliner). We're also having a fold up table made that will attach to the back wall between the recliner and sofa. One other upgrade was replacing the curtains. My other half liked the pleated curtains we had in the Classic so we just went through ordering and installing new curtains with pleats (excellent job by JPA Drapes BTW).

We thought about buying a 27FB, and actually would prefer that layout, but went with the 25FB because it's a smaller trailer and it meets our needs. In many of the national parks and national forest campgrounds, the extra 2 feet will sometimes be a problem. The weight is slightly less (around 350lbs) and of course the cost is less. Your right, the living areas are the same between the two. Like Gene said, one foot is taken out of the middle of the trailer (wardrobe space) and another foot is taken out of the bedroom (the bed is east and west). So far, we prefer the queen bed to the twins we had and although the walk around space is challenging at the front of the trailer, we like it a lot better than the trailer we had years ago with a corner bed.

I bought my trailer from a dealer who was going out of business and I got 26% off of list. Remember, it was a 2010 model and the dealer was going out of business. I've heard that the 26% is the dealer markup.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #40
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hi Russ, yep the first one I missed, stayed home due to business all winter.

Hope to head south even sooner this year.

I would like to see a pic of Chiefs mod.

I was in his trailer the year before but it may have been before he did it?