Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
If it was a boy, Chuck... after Chuck Woolery. And a girl... Trayla...

But I kind of like Tex too.. maybe I need two Airstreams. One for me and one for my shoes.
MelissaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Stupid question: what is a CCD layout? Thanks in advance for whoever answers this. Brian
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #23

Denver , Colorado
Can't decide what size

My husband and I live in Colorado and would like to buy an airstream to see the state. We're looking at a 34' but I am concerned that we will be limited to only RV campgrounds. How manuverable is a 34' vs. other lengths. We are planning on having children, so I don't want something that is too small.
zippyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forums, Zippyed. While I have no experience with the 34, I can tell you it is BIG. So big that I would think you would have troubles getting it into at least some of your National Forest Campgrounds in your wonderful state of Colorado. Again, no experience with it, but I do have lots of experience camping in Colorado and I would think it would be a problem in some of the campgrounds. Some even state in the books they are limited to 25' length campers.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Melissa, where are you? Did you solve the financing problem?

Brian, CCD is a trim line in the International models. it was designed by Christopher C. Deam and some people like it, we don't. It was apparently to provide a modern, sort of European style, appealing to younger people. It's not a stupid question; no one knows the answer 'til they ask it.

zippyed : 34' is long. It depends where you want to go. Private campgrounds have long and not so long sites. Obviously shorter units can go on more sites and have more options. NF campgrounds probably are the ones with the fewest long spaces and older campgrounds in NP's will also be shorter. Colorado state parks have some longer sites. Sometimes you will have to unhitch just to fit in a site and park the truck next to the trailer, while others will remain hitched and save a little time and energy. Maneuverability—people tow 'em, so it can be done. Obviously going around corners and through twisted roads in campgrounds provides some challenges. Backing into spaces, even long spaces, requires wider roads, something often not found. Backing a 34' must be interesting, though I've never done it. This would also limit your options.

The only 34' Airstream was making was the Classic. The last new one rolled off the line a couple of weeks ago and may have been an order. They're still on the Airstream website, and if you plead with them, they might make you one, but it might be even more expensive than they were. A 34' Classic is the most expensive trailer Airstream made. Classics are very heavy and will require a 3/4 ton truck and for the altitude and grades in Colorado, maybe a diesel.

I'm sure there are used 34's available from time to time.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyed View Post
We're looking at a 34' but I am concerned that we will be limited to only RV campgrounds. How manuverable is a 34' vs. other lengths. We are planning on having children, so I don't want something that is too small.
Too long for most campgrounds; a twenty-five or twenty-eight would be my choice.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have pulled a 34' for the last ten years. Have gone on two caravans with WBCCI one was two months in duration and stayed at state and federal parks as well as on Indian reservations, the other was a coast to coast from New York to Salem Oregon via Canada north of the great lakes. I only had one issue with parking and that was in New York, traded places with one of the caravaners and that became a non issue. U turns are the biggest single issue I have with the 34'. On two lane roads you go past the road on your right, stop and back into it then make a left turn and go about yoru business. I like the room the 34' has to offer specially on extended trips. I also like the 3 axels and the way it pulls. If I were going to downsize it would be for a 28' to 31'. There is a learning curve in pulling through fuel stations, and cracker barrels, but not an insurmountable one. I do love my unit.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Melissa,

I am a single woman and I own a 1974 25' Tradewind. I wanted something smaller when I was looking and couldn't find anything. One thing that no one has mentioned is the difference between a single or double axel. I am not sure what you are looking at, but that was a big part of my decision. I wanted a double axel because I figure if I have a tire blow out on the road in most cases I could at least get to a safe place on my other 3 tires. If 1 of 2 blows it seems you are in bigger doo doo. I also did a lot of research regarding tow vehicles... I had some guys on the forum telling me I was crazy to even think of towing with my 1999 Tahoe. I can tell you I have never had an issue. I sail up and down 7% grades without a bit of trouble. I have a weight distributing system that helps.

I love my TW, but would trade it in for a smaller double axel in a heart beat. I don't need the extra two feet and I think smaller would be better for parking etc alone.

Just one womans thoughts!

Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'll 2nd the double axle preference. When we had a wheel bearing go, and the wheel almost fell off, I could remove the wheel and drive to a place to fix it at my leisure instead of trying to fix it on a hill by the side of the road and having no place to sleep or eat.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi Melissa,
I hope you get your financing. What a fiasco.

We bought our 23ft CCD last spring. I drooled over the first CCD concept trailer I saw in a magazine years ago. I drooled over the first actual CCD I saw at a dealership. Wow! -an RV without oak! We couldn't believe how gorgeous and sleek it was. But alas, we were too young and poor, but we fit the demographics AS was going for with the CCD line. When the 23D layout came out, we couldn't believe our luck. THis seemed to fit us perfectly (and our 2 dogs-big and little).

We don't find it too small at all, and my husband is 6 feet tall. Yes, it can feel cold against the wall by the bed, but I put "bumpers" around there, and it's not a problem anymore. There is more than enough living area, even with 2 adults and 2 dogs. Because the 23 is 6 inches narrower than the 25, it's easier to see around. (We do use tow mirrors). Plus, we can pull it fairly comfortably with our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My little comparison on the 23 and 25:
-windows:
I would love having the double-wraparound windows that you can get on a 25 footer. BEcause the bedroom and living areas are reversed on the 23 and 25, you have another consideration. We usually back into sites and try to back onto a river or "view" and this means that our little bedroom window looks at "the view" which isn't ideal. BAcking in with a 25 footer means the living room overlooks "the view". However, sometimes sites are big enough, so we can pull straight in, unhitch, and move the TV. That's because the trailer is smaller. Then we have a good view.

-bed
THe bigger bed that lifts on hydraulics would also be really nice. You get more storage under it, and when we have a 2-dog-nite, it wouldn't be as cramped. The bed on the 23 is comfy enough, and cozy because you have walls on both sides; however, there is no night-stand to put my glasses and book.

-bathroom
Lots of people complain about the bathroom on the 23 foot. I like it. I prefer the sink on the outside. However, you get less storage than on the 25. You don't have anywhere inside the toilet area to store spare tissue rolls.

-kitchen
The 23 has a microwave. We don't use it much, but it's a nice feature. However, you get a smaller fridge. It's fine for us. THe 23 has a really wide pull-out pantry. I love it! You can store pots, pans, tin foil, etc. That's how big it is.

Hope this helps you and others deciding between a 23 and 25 footer. What a challenge. They both are great!

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
buy the one with the best layout. If you need to take our a loan think of a nice used model, people's lives change and they need to sell. We love our Vintage trailer and if you get one that has been taken care of you should be good, even new ones have problems. We have 18 feet and that is a bit small. they always say your lst trailer is too small. Do not worry 18 feet is harder to back up than 21. Good luck and we welcome you to fun.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Melissa,, woman to woman,,,go where your heart leads,,, i live in Montana,, and just a hint,, you do need power to get out and about ,, a used trailer is an option you should certainly check out,,, i did ,, am glad,, good luck,, happy trails,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
Melissa,
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali and have full-timed in my 25ft for over a year now. My Yukon tows the 25 with ease and the trailer is easy to maneuver with the perfect amount of indoor space. The queen bed works well with for one person and a dog or two people.
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
It says my Denali can tow 8,100lbs in the book. I do not have the XL. I do have AWD. Dont know if it makes a difference.

It will probably come down to price, and what my payments are. I dont have any debt currently and not looking to add a bunch.

I am looking at moving and will be using it in the Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming area most.

Thank you so much for your answers. I am excited! I will pm you GStephens, thanks.

My dogs go anywhere, couches, beds, etc. They are nice and let me sit on the couch also. They are small and dont destroy anything most of the time. They are also the big reason I am looking into this, its SO MUCH easier to travel with the pooches in this style than hotels.
Same deal with us, looking at these 2 trailers to travel w our dogs Good Luck!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Within the last year, we traded our 2005 Safari 25FB which we had camped in for almost 1,400 nights. We traded it in on a 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB. We camped in the 23FB for 148 nights including a 66 day trip out west. We wanted to downsize, and we really enjoyed Little Lucy, and she towed beautifully.

After giving Little Lucy a good try, we decided that we really missed Old Lucy. We traded again on a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB.

We travel without any pets, and it is just the two of us. The 23FB is a great floor plan, but we just like the 25FB better.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Moosetags, we've followed some of your posts with Lucy, so much fun :-) .... I wish we were as handy :-) ..... We love the 23 & 25 just wondering if it will be too expensive. I think we should buy new or relatively new since we don't have any experience .....
Old 11-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #37

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDogs View Post
Moosetags, we've followed some of your posts with Lucy, so much fun :-) .... I wish we were as handy :-) ..... We love the 23 & 25 just wondering if it will be too expensive. I think we should buy new or relatively new since we don't have any experience .....

I notice that you are in Jacksonville. We are from Jacksonville and visit back there often. At some point if you would like to come by and see Lucy, we would be glad to show her off and discuss Airstreams with you. We camp with Lucy on the Westside off of Cassat Avenue.

We will be in Jacksonville several times between Thanksgiving and Christmas. PM me and I'll give you my direct email and cell number.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Will certainly do, Thanks! We also plan to go see them again at JDSanders Gainesville in December, we would love to see famous Lucy
Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

, Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Hi Melissa,
I hope you get your financing. What a fiasco.

We bought our 23ft CCD last spring. I drooled over the first CCD concept trailer I saw in a magazine years ago. I drooled over the first actual CCD I saw at a dealership. Wow! -an RV without oak! We couldn't believe how gorgeous and sleek it was. But alas, we were too young and poor, but we fit the demographics AS was going for with the CCD line. When the 23D layout came out, we couldn't believe our luck. THis seemed to fit us perfectly (and our 2 dogs-big and little).

We don't find it too small at all, and my husband is 6 feet tall. Yes, it can feel cold against the wall by the bed, but I put "bumpers" around there, and it's not a problem anymore. There is more than enough living area, even with 2 adults and 2 dogs. Because the 23 is 6 inches narrower than the 25, it's easier to see around. (We do use tow mirrors). Plus, we can pull it fairly comfortably with our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My little comparison on the 23 and 25:
-windows:
I would love having the double-wraparound windows that you can get on a 25 footer. BEcause the bedroom and living areas are reversed on the 23 and 25, you have another consideration. We usually back into sites and try to back onto a river or "view" and this means that our little bedroom window looks at "the view" which isn't ideal. BAcking in with a 25 footer means the living room overlooks "the view". However, sometimes sites are big enough, so we can pull straight in, unhitch, and move the TV. That's because the trailer is smaller. Then we have a good view.

-bed
THe bigger bed that lifts on hydraulics would also be really nice. You get more storage under it, and when we have a 2-dog-nite, it wouldn't be as cramped. The bed on the 23 is comfy enough, and cozy because you have walls on both sides; however, there is no night-stand to put my glasses and book.

-bathroom
Lots of people complain about the bathroom on the 23 foot. I like it. I prefer the sink on the outside. However, you get less storage than on the 25. You don't have anywhere inside the toilet area to store spare tissue rolls.

-kitchen
The 23 has a microwave. We don't use it much, but it's a nice feature. However, you get a smaller fridge. It's fine for us. THe 23 has a really wide pull-out pantry. I love it! You can store pots, pans, tin foil, etc. That's how big it is.

Hope this helps you and others deciding between a 23 and 25 footer. What a challenge. They both are great!

Lisa
Lisa, thanks for the Great write up! I'm sure i'm not the only "prospesctive" buyer looking for real world feedback. the info you provided really helps me to get one day closer to fulfilling my Dream.
"One Day Closer To My Dream!" :-)
Retired U.S. Navy
silbull02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silbull02 View Post
Lisa, thanks for the Great write up! I'm sure i'm not the only "prospesctive" buyer looking for real world feedback. the info you provided really helps me to get one day closer to fulfilling my Dream.
You're welcome! If you have any other questions on other floorplans, I can try to answer them. We have a dealership nearby, and I have pored over many trailers. There is no cure for aluminitis! Best wishes on your search.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote