Old 06-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
You could always ask, surely the sales person wouldn't lie just to close, would they?

You will find out for sure in about 10 years or so.
Gee thanks. That was helpful. Maybe I could invite the sales guy over.

Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
st augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Tankless Water Heater not an upgrade IMHO. My good friend has one of these in his 2019 Lance 1985 and hates it. It triggers on and off every time you turn on hot water. Makes for very uneven delivery of hot water. The shower being the worst. He had it checked out by 3 different dealers and was deemed operating fine.

Why replace a nice simple regular water heater design that has worked well for decades. kind of like the "Relax" Zip Dee Power Awning that is not so "Relaxing" when it wont function. K.I.S.S.

The upgraded Inverter/Charger may be a good move depending...Ö..
also water heater is propane only

The Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Lindenwold , New Jersey
Hmmm interesting Airstream.com showing only two interior colors for the Flying Cloud but Colonial Airstream showing 3 FC colors incoming. Wonder if that is a mistake or if Sierra Sand hasnt made the website yet. Our plan was the FC 28RBQ and the new upgrades sure look nice
jackpsavidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Gee thanks. That was helpful. Maybe I could invite the sales guy over.
No, you are right, I wasnít being particularly helpful, sorry.

Anyone wanting to buy a brand new trailer in the next year could not be certain that the particular trailer on the lot has the composite floor or the plywood floor. The sales person, to be fair, may not really know either.

The way airstream has made these trailers in the past is that they put the subfloor down on the frame, and then they cover the entire subfloor with one continuous piece of the linoleum before they even install the shell or any furniture.

If there is a spot where they have drilled a larger hole for plumbing, you might be able to put a dental mirror and light down there to see if it is plywood or composite. Airstream is notorious for not filling the gaps around these pipes and allowing rodents and other critters access into the trailer at those points.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Downers Grove , Illinois
2021 FlyiCloud | Video Walkthrough from Airstream

The Airstream just uploaded a video on YouTube: 2021 Flying Cloud | Video Walkthrough of New Sunlit Maple Interior Dťco

https://youtu.be/Wi78rNduW8Q

escaflowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflowne View Post
The Airstream just uploaded a video on YouTube: 2021 Flying Cloud | Video Walkthrough of New Sunlit Maple Interior Dťco

https://youtu.be/Wi78rNduW8Q

That is literally the trailer we are picking up in 3 weeks: model and color. Saying I am excited is an understatement.
matthewk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
New tankless water heater, hmmmm.

I agree that not being able to heat with electricity will be more expensive using only propane, and drain the tanks much quicker

And if there is indeed a delay in getting warm water out of the faucet or shower head, that will waste water, give you an unpleasant cold spay in the shower, and waste water as well.

Overall, I agree, not an improvement, and at best, a wash, but more likely a disappointment.

The only real advantage to tankless is "unlimited hot water" -- unlimited until your propane tanks run dry. And who takes such long showers boondocking?

Tankless might be desirable as an option if it were electric and you were on full hookups.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Depends on the brand of the tankless hot water heater. I had a Truma installed and have zero problems like the ones often reported and have yet to hear anyone complain about the Truma specifically. Most complaints Iíve seen are focused on the Atwood tankless.
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
If there is a spot where they have drilled a larger hole for plumbing, you might be able to put a dental mirror and light down there to see if it is plywood or composite. Airstream is notorious for not filling the gaps around these pipes and allowing rodents and other critters access into the trailer at those points.

Agreed, there almost certainly will be one or more unfinished holes in the floor. Just depends on floor plan as to where to look. On our 30 International, you can see the subfloor after you remove the hot water heater bypass access door under the dinette. You can also see under the kitchen cabinet where the return air openings are for the furnace. And I believe you can also see under the closet after opening the doors for the water pump access.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Tankless Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Hope I have a better experience, I will never have another home without a tankless heater.
My friend that has the 2019 Lance 1985 also has a tankless water heater in his home and has had it for 2/3 years. He understands the operation and the maintenance required. He was really excited that his lance was going to have tankless. Just does not work the same. Do not know what brand is in his Lance. The fact that it is propane only is a bit of a concern also.

K.I.S.S. Just give me a regular electric/propane 6 gallon water heater. Simple long time design that is easy to fix if needed and not huge expense when it does need replaced. And it will need to be replaced someday.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
Depends on the brand of the tankless hot water heater. I had a Truma installed and have zero problems like the ones often reported and have yet to hear anyone complain about the Truma specifically. Most complaints Iíve seen are focused on the Atwood tankless.

...quoting my own message, but Iím curious where it has been confirmed that the 2021 models are coming with a tankless water heater? I canít find any reference on Airstreamís site. I see a picture when you first click on the International model from the menu that looks to have an Atwood tankless, but that picture also shows what appears to be a Barker tongue jack unless the abandoned the junk Atwood tongue jack.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
...quoting my own message, but Iím curious where it has been confirmed that the 2021 models are coming with a tankless water heater? I canít find any reference on Airstreamís site. I see a picture when you first click on the International model from the menu that looks to have an Atwood tankless, but that picture also shows what appears to be a Barker tongue jack unless the abandoned the junk Atwood tongue jack.
See notable features highlighted on the 2021 brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 3.32.57 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	370111  
matthewk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
2021 models

Quote:
See notable features highlighted on the 2021 brochure.

Ahh, thanks! Itís disappointing how inconsistently their website is updated. It isnít listed in the regular features section on the webpage itself and they have videos of the 2020 Flying Clouds too with the old overhead lockers.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Well, we are not quite 50% through 2020, so perhaps it is understandable that Airstream's website isn't yet fully converted to 2021.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
That is literally the trailer we are picking up in 3 weeks: model and color. Saying I am excited is an understatement.
Totally understand your excitement! Post some pics when you get it!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , NC
Ordered 2021 Flying Cloud 30FBB two weeks ago from Mark Wahlberg Airstream in Ohio. They quoted early/mid-September delivery and it was the same estimate from another dealer at that time. Just throwing that out for what it's worth. Will be fun whenever it's here.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe the flooring is the biggest change they have made. That really makes an Airstream a better choice overall. Any literature I have read on the trailers says they are fantastic but the weak link is the potential for floor rot. Problem area addressed. I haven't had floor rot but I was so concerned about the possibility that I tore out the plastic, carpet, pad, etc in my storage trunks to the bare wood and redid my floor just because I had to know. I also followed Vinny's advise on making a weld-like caulk line above the outer trim. Now it may be my time to update!