Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
2014 versus 2020 - How much $ delta is enough to sway you?

I was having this discussion with my bride and am curious on you all's inputs.

1) Assume two AS 25s. A brand new 2020 and a 2014.
2) The 2014 one is pristine. stored inside, etc...
3) Neither has any options (2nd AC, solar, etc.)

How much of a cost savings over a 2020 would sway you toward the 2014.

Considering 2020 Base model has:
Quiet ducted Air
back up camera
Never Lube Bearings
Never adjust brakes
3 year warranty
New Tires
...and probably a few other model upgrades

Would saving $20K be enough to sway you to purchase the 2014? Or would you spend the extra $20K to get the 2020?

Thanks
Dan
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No way I'd spend 20k for ducted air, since I don't have it now and do just fine. The 2014 has the same brakes and axles. You can easily add a backup camera. And..let me tell you, after the 3 year warranty is up, you are still going to have unwanted maintenance costs with a 2020 or any Airstream. Mine is 7 years old and almost none of my problems were during the warranty period. The one problem I did have, roof caulking, was not covered by the warranty. Unless you have money to throw away, if the 2014 is really in good shape, someone will jump on it if you don't.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
I was having this discussion with my bride and am curious on you all's inputs.

1) Assume two AS 25s. A brand new 2020 and a 2014.
2) The 2014 one is pristine. stored inside, etc...
3) Neither has any options (2nd AC, solar, etc.)

How much of a cost savings over a 2020 would sway you toward the 2014.

Considering 2020 Base model has:
Quiet ducted Air
back up camera
Never Lube Bearings
Never adjust brakes
3 year warranty
New Tires
...and probably a few other model upgrades

Would saving $20K be enough to sway you to purchase the 2014? Or would you spend the extra $20K to get the 2020?

Thanks
Dan
There are more features in the new model...3 stage converter vs single stage plus don't discount the ducted air...very nice and much quieter...you can watch TV or carry on a conversation with the ducted AC. There are some other advantages also including better mattress and seat cushions in the 2020 models. Tires in new models are now Endurance...2014' were Marathons...crap tires. I recommend a new one...but YMMV
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I bought three late model used Airstreams in 2 1/2 years before finally settling on my 23cb that I got a year ago, and still have. All three were good deals (well, two were good deals, one was a ridiculously good deal so I drove 1900 miles to get it.)

That price delta sounds about right for a 6 year age difference ASSUMING that is AFTER a (17% give or take) discount off list on the new one. If the used one is 20k less than list, that of course is way overpriced.

A clean 2014 Flying Cloud, for example, I'd be looking to pay upper mid to high 40s (for a good deal, which I'm always patient to wait for). Maybe up to around 50k or a bit more.

As for the differences, the ducted AC is a big deal to some, in my opinion (and I've been told by owners) it's less efficient in really hot weather because that roof cavity gets hot, whereas non-ducted pumps the cold air directly in to the coach without it traveling several feet through a duct with very little insulation. Not trying to start a war here, just my opinion, I know they are quieter.

A Progressive Dynamics multi-stage converter change-out is easy, and a couple hundred dollars (and better than the multi-stage WFCO now being provided by the factory. Leedav on here just changed it out on his 2019 traile, the WFCO would NEVER go in to bulk charging mode.

Then you have the neverlube bearings, nice but bearing maintenance is no biggy. And lastly 15 inch wheels, can upgrade from your 14s for about $800 (with tires) and sell the old ones for a couple hundred for a net of $600 or so.)

Pretty much the same trailer after that, side by side it would be impossible to tell unless you really knew what to look for. (Aluminum step, bigger wheels, flying saucer tv antenna instead of the crank up batwing...I think that's really all on the outside. Inside, blinds instead of shades, the Flying Cloud wood cabinetry has a slightly different look to it.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
2014 vs 2020

Our experience. Looked for 2 years, new and used. Purchased NEW 2107 Int. Serenity 23D. MSRP $82K. Paid $63k OTD including tax/fees. Great trailer, Sold it for $60k 2 years later. Purchased in May of 2019 a NEW 2019 FC25 RBT. MSRP $89k. Paid $72k OTD including tax/fees. Keep in mind that in N. Carolina when you register an RV for the first time you pay a one time $2k "Road Use Fee. This was included in price.

For us new was no question. Quiet ducted a/c, Goodyear Endurance tires, 3 year warranty, way better cushions and mattresses, 3 way convertor, etc. You get the picture.

Could we have scored a couple of year old used unit in great shape. Probably. We looked at the time and the difference in cost was well worth it for the new unit. You have to be comfortable with your budget and what your willing to spend. Also, if your financing the purchase, you may pay a higher interest rate on a used unit. This was not a factor for us as we only deal in straight cash purchases for our toys. Nobody really needs an Airstream but it sure is nice to have one. Good luck with your decision and Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no measurable difference in efficiency between the ducted air and the non-ducted. They both cool the trailer equally well. The ducted is indeed less noisy.

Both on the new trailer and on the older one, you have a bit of a gamble. There is no guarantee that a good looking older model *is* in perfect shape. Equally new trailers do roll down the line late on a Friday. If you are diligent you can get things done under warranty. The previous owner of a trailer may or may not have been obsessive about this or that. As noted above, there also is no guarantee that issues come up inside the warranty period.

The first question really should be - is this or that trailer the right size / model for you? You really need to spend some time in a range of models to work that out. There are lots of little details that change between this or that model. Some work fine for me and don't work at all for somebody else. Spending a day on a dealer's lot is about the only way to figure it out.

Next question is - how soon do you want to go camping? A 2019 likely is sitting on a dealer's lot somewhere close. You could get a lot done this year. Ordering a 2020 now puts you well into the fall. You might get out once or might not. Then you store the trailer for the winter. Searching for a perfect used trailer - who knows how fast that will go?

If indeed the 2019 *does* stay on the dealer lot into the fall, it's going to drop price. AS pretty much always runs a discount program to clear out the remaining stock. Will this or that one still be there? Who knows.

A side issue is what sort of deal it will be. If you are paying cash, a used deal can be done easily. If a bank and a 1900 mile drive is involved, it gets a bit more complex.

Do you have a tow vehicle set up with a hitch? Getting that taken care of at a dealer is *usually* pretty easy. On a private sale 1900 miles away, getting that done in a random parking lot (and then driving back) ..... yikes .....

Put another way - there is more to this than a straight dollar number. A lot of it is very much up to you to decide on.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Assuming it would not cause undue financial stress, I would spend the extra money for a 6 year newer trailer with a 3 year warranty. The warranty on our '18 Classic has already saved us several thousand dollars.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I would take the 2014 as they were much better built that year (still had serious QC issues with both our 2014 Classic built in January 2014 and our 2015 23D International Serenity built in September of 2014) than now. The forums are full of negative QC issues as time has passed. There are even serious issues with the 2020 $165,000 plus Classics.

As they pushed up the build speeds starting in 2014 to over 51 units per week from under 40, the quality jut tanked.

Our 2013 25FB International Serenity was built when production was 26 units per week with NO QC issues. The issues developed when the local dealership really screwed up everything they touched in and on the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Certainly, used is going to be significantly less than new, although instead of a 2014, I'd suggest a 2015 or 2016, both of which trailers had ducted air. The 2014, I believe, was the last year with unducted air, which I would avoid.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

AS has had the same fine approach to building RV's since they started. The stories about "lousy quality" go back at least to the 1950's when I first started hearing them. The idea that there is a "magic year" when there were no issues ... nonsense .... You get random events that happen. I buy a trailer and it's fine ... this is a good year. You buy a trailer in the same year .. it has issues ... this is a terrible year.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

...which only proves the point that if you buy new, you are rolling the dice on quality. Of course that is what the warranty is for, if you do not mind making trips to the dealer or JC. For some of us, it is an ordeal to get to a dealer. Even more of an ordeal with the wait times. There is a lot to be said for a used trailer that is in good condition and repair, aside from lower cash outlay. However, it seems that there are plenty of people who never want to sit on a toilet that has been used before or need the shiny, scratch-free look of a brand new trailer. Choices, choices....
Larry
Old 07-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
...which only proves the point that if you buy new, you are rolling the dice on quality. Of course that is what the warranty is for, if you do not mind making trips to the dealer or JC. For some of us, it is an ordeal to get to a dealer. Even more of an ordeal with the wait times. There is a lot to be said for a used trailer that is in good condition and repair, aside from lower cash outlay. However, it seems that there are plenty of people who never want to sit on a toilet that has been used before or need the shiny, scratch-free look of a brand new trailer. Choices, choices....
Larry
Not sure your analysis is correct there Larry. If that were the case, many of us would have just put in a new toilet and had an older AS "buffed out"! Having had used and new, I found the new models to have more features like the ducted AC, LED lights, among things the older AS's did not have when we bought our new 2014 25FC...had nothing to do with a toilet or a dent and scratch free AS... there are plenty AS's sitting on lots if you do some internet searches, where with a little effort you can get pretty good discounts. There are also many "used" AS's on the Forum, that cost more than many of us would have paid new. In our case, we have owned each of our AS's for at least 2-3 years before we sold them. We broke even on the first one, and made a little money on the next 2, including the 2014 we purchased new...

To think you may be "rolling the dice" on a new one vs a used one is not correct either...you never know what shape your "used" model is until you spend some time using it. At least with a 3 year warranty, you have some options for help when something does need fixing...Our second 25' had a very large solar/battery set up by the previous owner...after we had it for a while, we discovered he did not know what he was doing and it had to be completely re-wired; also, it had other subtle issues we did not pick up on till we took on a few trips...just saying, life's a crap shoot....

BTW, my warranty ran out in June; AS has still honored a few things that have failed since; shower door hinge (they shipped me a new door); 2 of my tail light's LED's had issues and several were not working; they shipped me 4 new complete lights. Buddy whos warranty also ran out in June, just had his PC board go out in July on his propane water heater...AS asked him to take a picture of the serial number and they shipped him a new card no charge. I'm impressed with AS standing behind their products from what I have seen...what would you do if one of these things happened on a "used" model; call the owner and complain? Just saying, YMMV....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Let's pretend you really wanted the ducted air. (I did, deal breaker for me.) So compare a 2015, what is the delta now? Let's say it's $15k this time and you get fresh tires & battery, new bearings, new appliances, full factory warranty.

15k still buys a lot of repairs so I'd get the used 2015 (or later) but not a 2014.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

A large number of posts on the forum have prompted me to reflect on what I would do or not do. When I look at the prices of new Airstreams, even with a 20% "discount", I have to wonder what about a new Airstream would motivate me to buy it. In fact, I have reached the conclusion that the ONLY thing attractive about newer models is the ducted air. Although, the biggest drawback to my old-fashioned air was listening to TV, I have resolved that with a soundbar under my TV. IMHO, there is much to not want with new Airstreams. I would never want a power awning or electronic controls in a travel trailer that I take to remote locations for days or weeks at a time. My conclusion, for me alone, is that new Airstreams are not worth the money.
Larry
Old 12-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Here is my experience. We bought a 2015 23d in early 2018. I was a couple of months away from retiring. We (my wife and I)have saved all our life , think tight wad! So now we want a tt after looking a while we found “Airstream”. These are in my opinion better than most and in 5 or 10 years if I did my part would be worth something when I decide to sell. I don’t have a lot but when I do buy some thing I try to buy quality.
I could have bought a new 2018 with the various up grades already mentioned but chose to save some money and found a real nice 2015 model. I have no regrets. I am fairly handy at mantaince and up grades. Think...I can follow a recipe but not so good at coming up with ideas of my own. This is where the forum has been so great for me. I would have been very frustrated with a new tt with lots of warranty work.
Having said that looking back now I would have liked the ducted air conditioner. As for most other stuff mentioned, tires,converter , seat cousions and most anything else I can replace or upgrade my self with the help of this forum.
I enjoy tinkering with our airstream. The fixing and mostly upgrading I have done to our 2015 most likely would have done to a new one at some point. So again for me/us no regrets on saving some hard earned money buying a nice used Airstream.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote