Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Here are some older threads and comments about the gasses and smells of the Airstreams and adhesives and paneling, that might help you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ell-61735.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ams-57475.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...yde-32999.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...mes-30096.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...yde-24769.html

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Angry

I know it has been a while but we've had a series of issues with our Airstream since day one. A brief rundown consists of: Water heater pressure relief valve leaks when water reheats to proper temperature, tank monitor system is completely inaccurate and shows tanks empty regardless of water levels, water filter missing from kitchen sink, awning screw-downs don't line up with awning (unsafe for travel), and a few others. Let me know if anyone else has had gremlins in their Airstream.

The MAIN reason I am writing this post is because of a more serious issue I have experienced. The dealership fixed nearly everything except for the fact that after towing we noticed leaking from inner panels of aluminum in the bathroom above the counter. It leaked like crazy but eventually stopped until we towed it again. We live in Oregon so I am concerned about a leak. After we took it in for inspection and the problem couldn't be recreated with hoses and constant running water blasting the outside shell, we brought it home. Once home we noticed a sticky syrup solution leaking from both the front and rear window frames. The sappy solution only made itself present upon towing. When night fell it actually turned more watered down and leaked awhile more. It saturated my bedding quite a bit more than if there wasn't a leak but I just don't know for sure what is happening.

Has anyone seen or experienced this with their Airstreams? I will attempt to attach pictures of everything including the bathroom water spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3151.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	145768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3155.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	145769  

Name:	IMAG3157.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	145770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3158.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	145771  

Name:	IMAG3159.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	145772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3161.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	145773  

Name:	IMAG3163.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	145774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3170.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	145775  

Name:	IMAG3173.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	145776  
BrandonJenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I can't say for sure... but on my A/S I had a small leak from a crack in the sealant around the fantastic fan... if you've got water travelling between the exterior and interior shell, it goes through a lot of insulation... fibreglass insulation... this could give your leak a yellow and gross texture until the fibreglass saturates and runs clear.

Once it is wet, it will pack down under its own weight and loose 90% of it's insulating value. It would be interesting if Aistream went to a closed-cell expanding foam insulation, as this would make minor leaks in the exterior very hard to reach the inside.

As far as where it is leaking... you need to go over the exterior carefully and any tiny crack can let in a lot of water over time...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The leak may be coming from above the windows. Be sure the vents are all closed tight, including bath and shower vents. Towing can set up air pressure differences, lower inside that would act like a vacuum to pull water in through even a tiny opening.

Those other problems sound like the dealer did not perform a complete systems check as required by Airstream before delivery. The water filter is shipped in a box with a replacement water line in its place to prevent filter from being contaminated when winterized.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
We haven't had the leaking but have had a few of your other issues.

My forward awning screw down doesn't line up completely. Per AS and Zip Dee this is an acceptable variance. I'm going to find some straps to secure the two posts together up top to prevent it from coming loose.

I also had to have my tank sensor recalibrated but it seems to be accurate now.

I need a new water filter too but that's my own dang fault. I left it in place when I sanitized the water system. Oops.

And of course I'm still dealing with some sort f blockage in my grey tank venting.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
..... awning screw-downs don't line up with awning (unsafe for travel), and a few others. Let me know if anyone else has had gremlins in their Airstreams.

[QUOTE=bike_addict;......My forward awning screw down doesn't line up completely. Per AS and Zip Dee this is an acceptable variance. I'm going to find some straps to secure the two posts together up top to prevent it from coming loose. [/QUOTE]

Had the same problem with our awning. The rear support arm lock wheel never lined up properly with it's base. Didn't notice the reason 'til we lost the lower portion of the arm while towing.
Turns out the rear support arm was not plumb, it was off about 3" to the rear. It also caused the awning to roll up cock-eyed. Had to re-locate the lower mount bracket. Re-used the forward mount hole, drilled two new and replaced phillips head with hex stainless.

POI...I now zip-tie the two arms together.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07535.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	145782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07928.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	145783  

Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
This is all great feedback, I have noticed the temperature does not stay regulated very well so I am wondering if water has been leaking in over a long period of time and saturating the insulation after all!?

Also, Airstream has had issues with the 2012's tank monitors and sensors. They overnight-ed our dealership a new monitor and sensors for ours and after installing and recalibrating it seems to be working. Not sure how they adjusted our awning but it is indeed lining up now; I think they shifted the awning to offset both rather than just one so they barely seat right.

I will inspect for cracks and leaks as soon as it stops raining and storming!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Urnmor,
Hi
Do you have time to say how you got the Ipod to play
on your 2012 model Airstream. Sofar, cant figure out
how to get ours to work ours.
GerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryH
Urnmor,
Hi
Do you have time to say how you got the Ipod to play
on your 2012 model Airstream. Sofar, cant figure out
how to get ours to work ours.
I hook mine into the head unit. I've plugged it into the external USB port until I figured out that the head unit opens up and has a mp3 player slot inside it. It has a USB cable inside it that you can use a ipod cable to connect too. Then I looked in the plastic bin that came from AS under my lounge and inside the black box that is meant to hold the head unit face I found a connector that went from iPod to USB so I didn't need the long cable I was trying to shove in there.

Once it's hooked up you just flip through your sources until you get to USB and you have a choice between internal and external.

My iPod is running constantly when I'm camping.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
The prior owner of our 2005 Classic had a similar experience as you with regard to leaking. He did not realize the source of the leak, and attempted to fix it during his vacation to the Oregon coast by pulling some of the door weather stripping material from the lower portions of the door frame and adding it to the top of the door.

After some analysis, it became clear that the Arizona sun (where he lived) had wrecked havoc with the sealing of the fantastic fan and dome. Additionally, the TV antenna resting bracket had NEVER been sealed (something the factory overlooked).

So after some sealing, the leaks stopped as did and the yellow-like streaks on the side of the trailer.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We purchased our FC in September and to date have been very pleased with it. Did have a challenge with the sound system but that was more head space and timing on my part. The folks at dealership were very patient with me and walked be through it.
I did have one of the small back panels fall off. It only had to nails but that is an easy fix. I love the ability to plug and play the Ipod and the Blu ray was a godsend with the grand kids.

The separate bath and toilet is also very nice.

One time I did have a problem with the refrigerator. It did not switch over to LP but again an easy fix. Just turn it off for ten seconds and then back on it worked fine.

If I have one major complaint it would be with the Comfort Control System. The AC unit is very noisy and when it kicks on at night it wakes us up. Not sure
sure of the fix. Also not sure if the temp for inside the AS on the CCC is working correctly.

As to the tanks. The monitors appear to be working correctly but sure how to tell.

Overall a great product. In fact our grand son said it was nicer than our home.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
BrandonJenna, you could have written a description of what is happening with our 2012 model as well.

*We too have the leak that is a yellow, sticky ooze. Ours is in in the kitchen underneath the fan. First time we noticed it was when we got to Champoeg Park this weekend. We think it also happened during towing. We too live in Oregon, so leaks are a BIG, BIG worry!

*Our tank sensors don't work. As a matter of fact, our black tank registers empty until waste it is almost spilling out onto the shower floor.

*Our water heater pressure relief valve leaks when water reheats to proper temperature also...and when it gets to temp comes spraying out of the back.

*Our electrical system seems to have a problem, too. When we're plugged into 110 there's a terrible buzzing noise that comes from the electrical panel until we turn on a certain combo of lights, and then it goes away.

Grrr...back to the dealership we go!

Glad you posted your problems and that we're experiencing the same things....Hopefully AS will stand behind these issues and make them right!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
et alia,

Think of it this way...it's good some of the "bugs" are showing up now.
They do tend to swarm just after the two year gestation period.

Bob
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Or think of it this way . . . you could have a new half-million dollar motorhome that has all these problems plus a stuck slide-out that won't come back in, and a leveler jack that won't raise up.

I did have a Scamp trailer once that was problem-free but I'm here to tell you wouldn't trade my Airstream for the motorhome or the Scamp.

doug k
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Or this way . . .

when Herbert Johnson of Johnson Wax called his architect Frank Lloyd Wright to complain of a roof leak on his head during a dinner party in his fabulous and artful new house, Wright calmly replied "Well Hib, why don't you move your chair?".

Perhaps a cost of great art, it's repairable and not the end of the world.

doug k
Old 11-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
A leaking trailer as "great art"...now thats an interesting interpretation.

Greycliff=Airstream?

Bob
Old 11-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We have a 2009 27'FC that we bought new. Minor problems so far, but I've learned not to trust the tank sensors. We had the black water tank sensor got out even after 3 repairs by the dealer under warranty. I just do the visual inspection by looking into the toilet. The most annoying problem was the drain system in the kitchen sink would come up in the shower if we had standing water in the sink. A rare acknowledged design flaw from the manufacturer. The dealer finally got a "fix" by installing a "filter" in the drain line essentially slowing down the water flow.
I just noticed a water leak from the top of a front bedroom curved window. I tried to duplicate the leak with water from a hose stream directed at several points around the window and shell seams to no avail. So there appears to be something to the points made about pressure dynamics while towing. We took it to the dealer and he couldn't get it to leak either, but at least the problem was identified while still under the last few days of warranty. They did add a little sealant to spots that may have been suspect. Now I've noticed a very small amount of water around the inside bottom of the same window at the point where the sealant contacts the glass. Its like water is wicking up thru the sealant as I cannot see any leak pattern on the glass or shell. I too live in Oregon and we just had a big storm come thru, so I will go tomorrow and inspect.
The exhaust fan in the shower went tango union early on, but was repaired under warranty.
We love this trailer, but for the amount you have to pay to purchase one, I have to say I'm disappointed in some of quality of workmanship and installations. For example the latch mechanism on the door to the microwave cabinet broke loose. It was just held in a couple of small wood screws in particle board. A lot of stress for that latch and it soon tore itself out. As a guy with over 50 years of building everything from race cars, boats, houses, etc., this was a no brainer as far as being to identify a problem before it happens. The correct way was to install the latch with thru screws with nuts and washers giving it the full strength on the thickness of the material.
Same too with the latch and hinges on the bathroom mirror cabinet door. It's a big heavy mirror and the hinges are held in place on the cabinet with just a few small screws into particle board. The left side also has a locking mechanism and if you accidently pull down on the mirror without releasing the mechanism (as I did, my fault), the screw just blow out of the particle board. There too, the fix was thru screws with nuts and large washers to spread the stress thru a larger area. This was something that should have been easily identified as a potential problem, but it's much cheaper and faster to throw it together with a few screws. Expected on a low end trailer, but inappropriate on an AS.
Examples of workmanship included finding extra holes drilled in the shell when the "technician" didn't install the window shades correctly, cabinets that someone neglected to knock down the rough edges with sandpaper resulting in sawdust and shavings to this day still raining down on the upholestry, huge gaps in the between the shell and interior of the beside cabinets that item large as a AA battery can slip down into where? Just plain sloppy.
There is also some absurdity to some AS policies and the example I give is when I tried to purchase a wiring diagram for my new trailer and was told AS did not allow them to be sold. I've been able to buy manuals and wiring diagrams from everything lawnmowers to airplanes, but apparently AS ...., well I just don't understand it.
Aside from all above, we love this trailer and the community we've met in the WBCCI. We would buy another one and would recommend one to others. It just seems sad that in this day and age, expediency trumps quality every time. But it is what it is. You just have to be prepared for it.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Valmog, Do you mind me asking where you purchased yours from?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
2012 25FB Flying Cloud punch list.

My wife ripped the mirror off off ove the cabinet, not knowing about the keeper in the latch. we have had problems with the CCC the heat pump and no Blu-ray to the bedroom TV. Our unit is now at the dealer getting these repairs and other "blue tape items repaired. I'm a mechanical engineer and went over everything like I was doing a punch list on a building. The dealer thought some of the issues I pointed out were "petty" but I don't care.
We have camped about 10 nights since delivery and overall I lke it. It's like anything constructed by many hands on a time study basis. Things will be overlooked and you have two years to correct them. Give me a heads up if you ever get up to Gig Harbor. I know where all of the good bars are.
Best,
Dan
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
"Give me a heads up if you ever get up to Gig Harbor. I know where all of the good bars are."

Nothing knowledge matched with experience. Will do if I'm in your hood.