Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Warwick , New York
2011 28' Serenity Purchase

Newbie here, we have had a super lite 5th wheel for 4 years, it needs major repairs/a defect that the manufacturer refused to address. We decided to get a new unit rather than throw $8K down a hole to repair our unit. Initially we were looking at a replacement 5th wheel, our TV is an '08 Tundra, so we were limited to very light units, which don't seem to be well made at all.
So we started investigating Airstream as a longer term option that we could tow with our Tundra. We saw a few units Friday at a dealer which were smaller, 25' and 27'; they were very nice but small, much different than our SOB 5'ver.
We spoke to another dealer for a price on the 2011 Serenity 28' and were quoted $63K for a unit with a MSRP of $83K. Includes solar charger (over 2K?), awning pkg, BR tv and convection mw. How do we know this is the actual MSRP? It seem that the numbers vary a great deal from listing to listing online, and NADA quotes $76K without options, so would those options raise the number $7K?
If $83K is a true value for the MSRP, it seems to be a great deal, 24% off. We are going to see the 28' Serenity tomorrow. This is so much higher than we were planning on spending, but it will be a forever camper for us. Thanks for any insight--
Nessie
nessie1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Check online at Airstream dealers and do a lot of research. It seems about right and NADA is never correct when dealing with Airstreams. Have you thought about used? Sometimes you can get a great deal on a gently used unit and the PO went through the warranty issues etc. Good luck with your search!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
I'd have them thro in a Equilizer hitch (or something similar), another flatscreen for the living area and make sure you check tires!!! I thought the 28' was actually smaller than the 27'??? Maybe I have been misinformed, but ask the question anyway. If they want to sell it and you want to buy it...go for everything you want! Twins or Queen? If you are tall, twins are longer and you have more space in the bedroom.
Let us know what the outcome is.
Andi

Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Don't buy until you call and compare options for the model you want at the dealers that say they will not be undersold. Comparison shopping can whittle the price down. Always good to do your homework. Even if you have to travel it can be worth the trip and a nice break-in trip to boot.

The serenity is a beautiful model! Check the closet space in the 28' coming from a 5ver otherwise the 27 FB may have more storage. The 27' and 28' are about the same size I think, check the specs, the number in the model is not an absolute reflection of length. It is the layout and storage that is more important than the length.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Hello and welcome! The serenity is a great model for sure. We are within a month of delivery on ours. We special ordered a 2012 serenity 30 foot. It's our second AS. Your price does sound very good. We are paying a premium for ours, between buying new, ordering it with no skylights, extra AC and everything we want, on top of peak selling season for trailers, there was some room for haggling but not a ton. But we are willing to pay to get our dream trailer.

My best suggestion is to spend a ton of time at the dealer sitting in the trailers. We also have the same tow vehicle as you. If you feel the 27fb or 28 may be too small, check out the 30 foot model. It's actually 31 feet, very similar to the classic 30 model, so if the dealer doesn't have a serenity in the 30 model, see if they have a 30 classic. The difference in the 28 to 30 is felt in the bathroom, there is a pantry, the L lounge is longer and two people can fully stretch their legs. The lounge, kitchen space and bathroom are what sold us on this model. Our first AS was a 25 foot. Very nice trailer and we learned a lot from that model. We feel like we are moving from our starter home to a dream home.

To stop rambling and actually answer your question, we would compare the dealer price sheets of the trailers we were looking at. Carrying a few of them with us from trailer to trailer. It lists all standard items but then lists the options on that particular trailer and how much each of those cost. Just like a msrp dealer sticker on a new car. That gave us a good idea of the msrp prices we saw on the internet. I could tell from the msrp on the rv websites if the trailer had the second AC, full awning package, etc.

We also considered a 2010 flying cloud 30 footer in TX and just had the sales guy email the price sheet. It listed all the extra options, price and total msrp etc.

Good luck in your hunt, take your time. These things depreciate like all other trailers and buying the wrong one and trading it within a few years will cost thousands.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Mississippi
28 international ccd

Hello I am looking. Found 2008 27/28 ft international fb, ccd paprika same layout as serenity little different I terior not quite as light. . Love it! I think.! noooo airstreams in south no dealerships no way for me to look. Just have to drool over photos. They are asking 50 k. photos look good. I am set on this length and layout. Do I dare buy sight unseen, it is in Oklahoma I am in Ms. I have been studying for a year educating myself, but I have never owned a camper before and much of this will simply be new to me.

Does that price sound near right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stacey
Staceytlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Will the 63K buy three new SOB's? Here inside storage for a RV costs about $150 a month. I doubt too many Airstreams or SOB's deteriorate from being stored in inside storage. My neighbor sold a really nice 1993 tandem axle, smaller 5th wheel for $3800. I helped her get it ready to sell. It had been stored inside since it was new and it was like new, with no leaking or damage at all. If I bought that and stored it inside, it would last me my entire life, even if I lived to be 100. That would leave me $59,200 to invest.

At 4% the 60K earns $2,400 a year. Inside storage costs $1,800 a year. That puts me $600 up and I still have my $60K. And a like new trailer.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceytlc View Post
Hello I am looking. Found 2008 27/28 ft international fb, ccd paprika same layout as serenity little different I terior not quite as light. . Love it! I think.! noooo airstreams in south no dealerships no way for me to look. Just have to drool over photos. They are asking 50 k. photos look good. I am set on this length and layout. Do I dare buy sight unseen, it is in Oklahoma I am in Ms. I have been studying for a year educating myself, but I have never owned a camper before and much of this will simply be new to me.

Does that price sound near right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stacey
For my money, you absolutely do not buy a newish used trailer sight-unseen. Either have someone you trust inspect it, or go look it over yourself. Since you say you're new to the whole RV game, considering getting another pair of eyes even if you go in person to inspect it. $50k is a lot of money to spend blind.

I know there are people on here who have bought restoration projects 2000 miles away with paypal and checked it out when they got there, but they're buying $2k trailers that need $20k of love.

That said, it's not my money, so the decision is ultimately yours of course.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
There are good Airstream inspectors on this forum that leave in or near Oklahoma. All you need to do is post for help on 2008 AS inspection, give zip code and time frame. People will respond and you can validate them thru this forum as well. Once you select an inspector, inform the seller and your inspector will send you an evaluation. If you now like it, take a flight and see it before you pay. Sometimes, you can negotiate your flight fare into the final cost of the AS. Just my 2 cents and best of luck.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
In answer to the OP, I'd say you're getting a good deal on that Serenity. It's the same model as ours and we paid a fair bit more for it than that. Sometimes you can get a good deal if the dealer has a unit he wants to move; we were offered a similar mark-down on a 27' International but, as we had our hearts set on the 28' with our choice of options we went for the higher priced one.

Good luck with your choice, once you go Airstream you won't go back to the SOB.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote