Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
2006 Safari 25 Need Quick Advice

Greetings

I found a 25' 2006 Safari for sale. I have never been in an airstream with the covered walls and non panoramic window(s). The price is really good but I am not sure about the feature set and it is at a distance and probably will not last long. The layout has no dinette but a couch in the front with a credenza and twin beds in the rear. Does this model have outside storage like the newer twin models? What are the pros and cons to not having any pano windows besides light? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Danbury , Connecticut
I have an '05 Safari, 25'. Great trailer, about 1,000# lighter than classic. Wall covering is not an issue and neither are the front windows. I prefer them over the wraparounds. I had a 34' classic and prefer this when traveling. Much, much easier to get in and out of tight spaces. Not much storage but you really don't want heavy stuff under the beds. Put it in tow vehicle.
My vote is "Go for it" and enjoy it.
charliejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

rod,

THIS site may help with your decision....

Good luck with your search.

Bob
Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Not having the front panoramic windows indicates that it's a standard Safari and not the Special Edition Safari. It won't have some of the fancy stuff like the recessed lights in the ceiling, etc, but a lot of that stuff doesn't really matter.

However there are some more significant differences. The standard Safari comes with standard side RV windows where only the lower quarter opens. The Special Edition has the windows from the International and Classic where the entire pane of glass opens.

The standard Safari also won't have the vista view ovals above and below the side windows, in the kitchen and in the bathroom.

Back in 2006 the options packages were much more complex. If it has the "LS" package it will include a spare tire and upgrade the 11,000 BTU A/C to a 13,500 BTU unit. The Special Edition further upgrades the A/C to include a heat pump.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
That unit sounds similar to ours only ours has a queen bed in the back. We are very happy with ours and prefer the sofa in the front vs the dinette. As some have pointed out the smaller amount of glass will reduce radiant heat and cold transfer through the trailer walls. This window configuration allows plenty of outside lighting in our opinion.

Check the floor carefully for soft spots or wet spots around the perimeter of the inside wall of the trailer. Do a search on this forum for a "buyers check sheet". The check sheet is very helpful when shopping.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I have a 2004 25 Safari that is exactly as you describe. It is accurately described by the other posters.
It is not as bright inside as the ones with panoramic windows but is pleasant because the interior has light colors. It does cool better in hot weather.
We ended up taking out the front couch, putting in a dinette and replacing the flooring which wore out with composite wood panels. That suites our needs better.
The couch and the twin beds are the issue. If you like that floor plan go for it.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Help. I contacted a salesman that said the regular 25 was not desirable, that the cabinet doors were made of foam and there was much more different than windows and lights as they knew I have been looking at the 2011-12 flying clouds. They said that the regular 25 was a sport but without the weight redesign. He made it sound awful. He concluded that it is nothing like a FC other than base looks. When I called him I expected to hear only critiques of the model year. Seriously, are the cabinets made of foam in the non SE models? This buying unseen is really diffucult. I am only familiar with the 2011-12 models inside.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
The core of the cabinet is foam in the Safari, Special Edition and Flying Cloud and they're covered with a very nice wood laminate. It keeps weight down but certainly doesn't detract from the look.

There are no 25 foot Sports. It sounds to me like your salesman wants to sway you toward a more expensive new trailer. If you could post the listing it would take all the guesswork out of this whole scenario.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
There are several non-Special Edition Safari models in the classifieds. Take a look at the photos any you'll see the difference in the walls and windows, but no difference in cabinets or furniture.

NEW PRICE!!! 2006 Airstream Bambi 16' Safari -- Forest Sage -- 75th Anniversary - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

2005 19' Bambi Safari - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I've a '05/25' Safari, and having looked at the other models and prefer the Safari vastly.

I'd go for it....any smaller model and you'll make sacrifices, any larger and all you get is a few more sq. feet and a harder to "dock" and heavier truck needed.

And ....IMHumbleO.....fabric interior is way easier on the eye than SST and constant finger print clean up.....shiny is for out-side.
Best-a luck
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It is not listed yet. They just got it in at a dealer and contacted me. I have been drooling over a 2011 FC 25 Rear BR model for a long time. They called me about it since it was a twin model and a 25 but I am now being told there are major differences.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes I looked at the pics of the ones for sale online and the cabinets look the same to me as the new ones as do the walls, with the exception of the white fabric on the walls.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
...but I am now being told there are major differences.
The biggest difference will be the $25,000 that you will have saved by purchasing the used model. Other than that, the frames are the same, axles are the same, load capacity is the same, etc. There are far more similarities than differences.

If it turns out that you're disappointed that you didn't get the new Flying Cloud then you can trade up to that same trailer used in a few years.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf

The biggest difference will be the $25,000 that you will have saved by purchasing the used model. Other than that, the frames are the same, axles are the same, load capacity is the same, etc. There are far more similarities than differences.

If it turns out that you're disappointed that you didn't get the new Flying Cloud then you can trade up to that same trailer used in a few years.
We have 06 23 ft anniversary edition which is similar in finish w couch and we love it covered walls are fine
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The pano windows and aluminum interior give a sweeping view, more natural light, and a sense of spaciousness. The aluminum walls are virtually maintenance free and have a reflective quality like mirrors, freedom of space.

But affordability is the important factor so stay within your budget.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I have the slightly smaller 06 22' International CCD... I'm not sure the pano windows are a huge deal... it does make it very airy though with all the light, and the bare interior adds to the effect. But, it's also a more complex front-end as far as leaks and potential rock damage goes. Having blown out a window on our Basecamp, I am much more aware of crap hitting the trailer. The pano windows have plexiglass covers, but on my 'new' trailer, one of those is cracked already as well...

I could never buy a non-aluminum interior Airstream... the CCD, Ocean Breeze - whatever they call it now - is just too amazing.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
A Word About Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Not having the front panoramic windows indicates that it's a standard Safari and not the Special Edition Safari. It won't have some of the fancy stuff like the recessed lights in the ceiling, etc, but a lot of that stuff doesn't really matter.

However there are some more significant differences. The standard Safari comes with standard side RV windows where only the lower quarter opens. The Special Edition has the windows from the International and Classic where the entire pane of glass opens.

The standard Safari also won't have the vista view ovals above and below the side windows, in the kitchen and in the bathroom...
Hope that helps.
TinLoaf makes some important points about windows.
We had the same windows in our 2000 Safari 27'.
We did not mind not having the front, panoramic windows, but we really disliked the fixed side windows with the tiny operating louver at the bottom. We became so distracted by this window design and the lack of air circulation we bought a 1976 with "real" Airstream windows and sold the 2000.
Indeed, our current Airstream, a 2007 has real windows, a very important feature to us.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I do love Colonial Airstream's website - this link shows what this Safari probably looks like, only with twins instead of queens.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
At dealer now the floor is good as far as I can tell there is a creak in front of stove when walking
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
At dealer now the floor is good as far as I can tell there is a creak in front of stove when walking
I don't know if it is normal for the floor to creak.... but mine creaks some in several places. I tightened the floor bolts while my floor covering was removed and replaced a couple of broken floor bolts. The floor still creaks after the bolt tightening and replacement. I found that a really bad creak is a symptom of a broken subfloor bolt. Floor bolts are easy to replace if the floor covering can be lifted to give you access to drill and tap for a new bolt.