Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Troy , New York
1972 Sovereign Land Yacht

Hello there.. this is my first post on the forum.. im not an official owner of a lovely airstream yet, but am persuing a 31' land yacht. ive looked thru alot of websites and forums (especially this one) and have gotten alot of great information on what to look for.. It seems that axles, floor rot, and some rear bumper/frame issue are the main concerns...... I've been told, by the owner, that everything works except for the hot water tank. everything in it is original! (tires included) it was last registered here in ny in 1982, and hasn't moved untill this guy purchased it a month ago from a friend. it was used as an "extra room" at someones house.. the skin is in really great (dirty) shape but there is only one good sized dent.. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have always been an Airstream fan and am in the position to finally own one. Thank you!!!

Carl
carl0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
From my experience, all I'm buying when I get a 40 year old Airstream is an aluminum body. I want that clean, no dents, and no missing doors or windows. All the rest is conceptual value only.

I count all the appliances and fixtures as zero. I won't trust a 40 year old furnace (or anything else gas and old) in a confined space with my grandchildren inside.

I've found old Airstreams to be expensive . . . bigger Airstreams = more expensive.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to Airfourms.com, Carl! We're glad you are here.

I think Splitrock is right, you can count on one thing, all those appliances have to be replaced.

And don't even think about moving it until you replace those tires, grease (or replace) the wheel bearings, and you will probably also have to replace the brake assemblies. That last sentence may sound like a lot, but it's not too bad cost or work-wise.

Good luck!~

Oh, and let's see lots of photos if you want lots of comments!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0726 View Post
Hello there.. this is my first post on the forum.. im not an official owner of a lovely airstream yet, but am persuing a 31' land yacht. ive looked thru alot of websites and forums (especially this one) and have gotten alot of great information on what to look for.. It seems that axles, floor rot, and some rear bumper/frame issue are the main concerns...... I've been told, by the owner, that everything works except for the hot water tank. everything in it is original! (tires included) it was last registered here in ny in 1982, and hasn't moved untill this guy purchased it a month ago from a friend. it was used as an "extra room" at someones house.. the skin is in really great (dirty) shape but there is only one good sized dent.. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have always been an Airstream fan and am in the position to finally own one. Thank you!!!

Carl
If the trailer has not moved basically in almost 30 years, then the rubber rods in the axles may have solidified.

The following article will help you check them out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Troy , New York
Thank you for all the great info!!!! I lost out on this one, but im going to keep on looking.. I should have done the research and asked questions BEFORE i started looking..
carl0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
chapin , South Carolina
Carl, sorry you missed this one but yours will come along in time.......

TAC# SC-2
AIR# 41283
oleschool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign