Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
PORTLAND , OR
1963 Globetrotter Value and Buying Guide?

Hi there,
My husband and I have been searching for an AS that will fit his 6’8” stature. We saw one come up for sale potentially, about a 6 hour drive from us.
It’s a 1963 Globetrotter 19’ barn stored for 20+ years and a broken skylight with subsequent floor damage.
I have no photos as of yet.
Any idea on what this barn find, as found trailer might cost?
Anyone else out there have a ‘63 Globetrotter and could tell me more info?
Floor to ceiling height?
We only have a Subaru Outback right now that was set up to tow a family shared Coleman tent trailer, just not sure how we’d change tires, make it towable and then get it home. Does it sound doable?
Anyone have a nice checklist or buying guide when looking at AS?
We are looking for our first trailer, are pretty handy more so with home remodeling, so we could really use someone’s expertise on trailers and AS.
Thanks so much! Really loving this Airstream community!
LoYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to AirForums!

I really don't want to discourage you, but 6'-8" is pretty tall for a vintage Airstream. Only your husband will be able to determine if 'it works' for him. He's definitely going to have to duck to get in the doorway...and may have to stoop a bit inside. Also, the beds are pretty small...even my 6'-0" "stomach sleeper husband" has complained about the bed size in every Airstream we've had.

As far as cost/price - you may want to check out this "Price vs Condition" website (Table A) for the value...depending on the actual condition it sounds like it is somewhere between 'As-Found' and 'Average' condition. Then there is the cost to replace/repair it (Table C) to get it to a suitable condition to camp in.

I would also double check your Subaru's towing capacity...I think they range 2,700-3,500 lbs. maximum depending on the year. A empty '63/'64 (we had a '64) GlobeTrotter of that era is just about 2,890 lbs. - fully loaded (water, propane, personal contents) it's going to push those numbers.

There's a pretty active Airstream community in the Pacific Northwest - I know it's tough right now with Covid, but maybe you can get to a gathering to check out a bunch of trailers side-by-side to get a better feel for what options there are....6 hours is a full day's drive to go see something that may (most likely) be too small for you & too big for your tow vehicle.

Good luck in your search! I hope you can realize your dream...if not with this trailer, another one!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags