Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

1962 24' Tradewind
Idaho Falls , Idaho
1962 24' Trade Wind Double

I have an opportunity to purchase an airstream trailer. Just to introduce myself I am a young father of three beautiful girls ages 4,2,2 months. I ran across a 1962 trade wind while out of state at a funeral.

What should I consider when trying to decide whether to purchase for myself or to purchase and resell almost immediately.

I have a 1959 chevy apache pickup that runs and drives and I would use it to tow the trailer.

The exterior of the trailer appeared to be in great shape. The owner told me that the inside is all original but he hasn't tested anything... furnace water heater tanks toilet sink fridge or stove.

My guess is that a little bit of cosmetic work and testing/fixing of systems should make for a good investment.

Let me know what you guys think
Beanyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
I think every Vintage Trailer makes for a bad financial investment. Speaking for myself only, this is a hobby, and I am putting way more money into my '64 than what it is worth, monetarily. The fun and satisfaction it gives me is not measurable, and is very positive, and I plan to camp the heck out of it. I hate to tell you, but it is one very very rare find whereby the 50 year old trailer needs only "a little bit of cosmetic work and testing/fixing of systems should make for a good investment". Get yourself an experienced Airstream Inspector if you really want to know the investment required. If you are looking to make money, try the stocks and bonds market, but don't buy a Vintage Trailer.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The biggest issue is the condition of the floor. If the floor is solid and the exterior is good then you have a good investment. This is one of the most popular vintage trailers.

If the floor is rotten you will never get your original investment out of it if you try to resell it. If you want to keep it, then a floor repair might be something you would try for yourself.

Yout tow vehicle is a perfect match.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Open the rear access hatch and have a good look around, especially at the subfloor to see how much rot there is. If the axle hasn't been replaced, it will need to be. The furnace at a minimum probably should be replaced also.

The bottom line is the bottom line. Price you can get it for versus price you can sell it for (if that's your intention).

Good luck!

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
cabin fever

Just noticed that 3 Minnesota boys have replied within 3 minutes. LOL!

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If my son asked me your question, I'd tell him to RUN!

(Born in Minnesota)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
3 girls ages 4, 2, and 2 months? Do you want to spend the next 6 years restoring the airstream or with the girls? Get an inspector who can tell you whether you can start memories in it right now, or whether the girls can start memories of daddy spending all his time in the trailer and no camping.
I am probably being too blunt, but time can never be bought. So know exactly what your getting into before you invest. If you can tow and go right now, then you'll have a great time and lots of great memories.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

1962 24' Tradewind
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Thanks for the good advice... does any one have anything else to say?

I like the thing about getting one that is ready to tow and go. Maybe after I get my truck painted (coming soon)!

Thanks,

BeanYard Beast
Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #9

1962 24' Tradewind
Idaho Falls , Idaho
off to purchase the 62 tradewind

I have decided to purchase the tradewind. Someone made me an offer to purchase it in the case I decide I don't want it. I am hoping that after a thorough inspection I will be able to make some small improvements over the summer while enjoying the trailer for camping. Maybe my wife will enjoy it enough to let us keep it! I like to stay busy so I hope to at least polish the trailer this summer. I have done a great deal of remodeling around the house so I hope to extend my talents into the trailer world. My previous profession was cabinet builder. I hope that I can use this to beautify the existing pieces and make modifications where necessary.

Wish Me Luck,

Beanyard Beast
Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Be sure to post some pics!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Your gonna like my advice!

Dont think about it too much just BUY IT!

Speaking from 1st hand experience. We bought our very first RV 2 years ago, a 1966 Tradewind. Besides having children, it was the best decision we ever made. We LOVE that little camper, went out camping 10 times last summer alone. The memories you will create camping, and fixing her up are priceless. The Airstream is a big part of our lives and it will be for you and your little girls too. Have fun!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

1962 24' Tradewind
Idaho Falls , Idaho
So I show up and the first thing I notice is that the year on the title is wrong. I also notice the salesman/owner is way drunk and it was only 11:00 a.m. He must have been drunk when he described it to me because it was a bachelor pad gone bad with a leaky roof and a rotting floor. Needles to say the "perfect" tires were weather checked and in no condition to go anywhere. Maybe I need to start asking if people are drunk before I trust their descriptions. It needed waaay more than new interior paint and linoleum. I had some pictures that he sent me but they must have been from before he started living in it. Wish me luck. I hope to find another before summer hits. I would like to find a decently priced one that is in the ID, UT, MT, WY area...w/in 5 hours driving from South East Idaho

Wish Me luck,

Bean Yard Beast
Old 01-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
I feel for ya. I have had that experience several times over while hunting for my eventual purchased 75 tradewind. It's crazy how "creative" some people are with their sales pitches and pictures. Keep looking. Educate with every experience. Be ready to purchase when the right one is there. There is someone behind you who's looking for that gem too.

You will be sooooo happy when you do find the "right one", for the effort given to the hunt.

Good luck. They're out there!!
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
1975 31' Excella 500
Bladensburg , Ohio
Man - that stinks! I feel for you.

I got lucky... we were given a 1961 Airstream Ambassador. It's missing the tub, stove, hot water heater, water pump, AC, heater, and the brakes work but the wiring must be bad... but it camps and doesn't leak!

I have 4 kids, they get the double beds in the back and me and the Mrs. get the gaucho. We spend more time outside when we camp than inside, so we're VERY happy with it.

I'm in central OH, and I saw a nice mid-80's Excella 500 last Summer for $5K... but of course, I didn't have the $$ at the time. My Grandfather had Airstreams all the time and wore out several going back and forth across the US holding revivals and campmeetings... but he got me hooked on them at a young age.

Now, I've got to do some work on the inside (add water pump, build bunks, add AC) and we'll be all set. The electric works, original Fridge works, and we are in business.

Wish you the best of luck!
61Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Hey Beanyard! You're in my town! My husband and I are incurable A /S fanatics and have four vintage now. If you would like a tour or just some A/S conversation, give me a call. I am always driving around scouting possible A/Ss, if you want me to keep an eye out, just holler. There's an RV place on N Y'stone that has 2-3, All Star RV.

Vivian 523-5644 Idaho Falls
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags