Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #21
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
wow!

And I thought the interior of mine was a mess. Congratulations Merlyn, keep us posted on your progress. I'm sure it will turn out to be a beaut!

Dave
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Edge , Texas
Thanks for the kind words!

Cleanup starts this weekend, and if I get the interior and shell clean, I'll for sure enter the before and after contest. :: grin ::

I'm going to start yet another Full Monty (Extreme Edition) thread over in the Sovereign area, so look for many more updates to come

Merlyn
MerlynGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Those pics give a whole new meaning to "trailer trash"

Woaho, some of that stuff is chest deep, there's no telling what you're going to find in there. You may be the proud owner of some lost or buried treasure . . . . I mean treasure in addition to the lovely silver container housing it all!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I think the photo at the PO's property qualifies as a before, and at it's new home as after. The other photos just explain the story.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Edge , Near the Edge of the World
Well, while Merlyn was at work today, my mother, my son and my cousin and I all got to work cleaning out that mess.

With a rake.

22 huge, black, plastic garbage bags later (The kind you stuff lawn clippings into) and a chest-high pile of stuff to be burned.....and the small (about 2 black garbage bages full) of stuff to keep....and we're 3/4 of the way through the trailer.

The good news: The Control Center only needs a little cleaning. The original radio and tuner thing are there and are in EXCELLENT condition. And....I *think* that the family of squirrels that lived in there didn't make it completely into the A/C unit.

This has been an interesting day. My cousin is phobic of spiders. My mother is phobic of snakes and I am phobic of those huge, water roaches. Add that to being startled by the occassional mouse or 16, and it has been a day filled with the sounds of feminine screams.

The bad news: The floor is shot. The bottom cabinets are rotted about 2-4 inches up. The tops cabinets have been chewed through by squirrels. We made the mistake of opening the refridgerator a crack.....and that told me we are going to need a new refridgerator. The counter-tops are warped. There was once some gorgeous vinyl tile in the kitchen, which is hopeless now.

The twin beds are pretty much rotted through.

We are going to start on the back end (closets and bathroom) tomorror, but we'll need more equipment. It will be biohazard stuff.

The odd thing is wondering what happened to the former occupants. While the knitting projects, cat bowls and baby clothes have been strewn about by temperary families of raccoons, it is obvious that whomever used to lived there just......disappeared. Cleaning this thing out feels like an episode of "If Walls Could Talk", because there is the water-damaged diary, the children's drawings and toys, a half finished letter......a jewelry box, with jewelry still in it.

There was a small box of chocolates hidden under a bed-pillow.

Well, I'll write more on it tomorrow....and post pictures of it in a semi-clean state.

Peace,
Caliann, a.k.a. Mrs. Merlyn

*who is wondering what the heck she has let herself in for*
Caliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I say this only partly in jest - Are there any missing persons reports in the area?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Today Airstream renovation took on a whole new meaning !

Best of luck. We're all looking forward to following your progress.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This thread lists some of the great (and not so great ) things that others have found.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ing-15767.html?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Wow

That's it, nothing more - I am left speechless.........
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
As I look at Caliann and Merlyns' pictures....the CAMPER thread first posting flashes to mind.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Where did they go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliann
. . . . The odd thing is wondering what happened to the former occupants. While the knitting projects, cat bowls and baby clothes have been strewn about by temperary families of raccoons, it is obvious that whomever used to lived there just......disappeared. Cleaning this thing out feels like an episode of "If Walls Could Talk", because there is the water-damaged diary, the children's drawings and toys, a half finished letter......a jewelry box, with jewelry still in it.

There was a small box of chocolates hidden under a bed-pillow. . . .
Peace,
Caliann, a.k.a. Mrs. Merlyn

*who is wondering what the heck she has let herself in for*
I can't help but speculate what happened here. A few possibilities:
  • Alien life forms were attracted to the shiny pod-shaped aluminum form and abducted the inhabitants for study.
  • The occupants suffered the same fate as the Anasazi Indian culture of Chaco Canyon.
  • Someone yelled, "HEY YA'LL, THE LAW IS COMIN' !!!!" and everybody ran.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #32
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I say this only partly in jest - Are there any missing persons reports in the area?
Not for this person. (Have family that works for the S.O. and they checked)

However, I am having a more thorough check done, since the name, D.O.B. and two former addresses are available for the former occupant.

Considering the sheer VOLUMN of psychomatic perscription drugs we threw out, I have a feeling the former inhabitant might have been collected by Mental Health Resources.....but we will find out.

Now, onto other things in the next post.

Peace,
Caliann
a.k.a. The Mrs. Merlyn
Old 10-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #33
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Okay, it's raked out, swept out, cleaned out at the best that I can do. Except for under the curb-side bed and the cabinets under the oven.....which is because there is a creature inhabiting that area.

Actually, it is the largest rat my mother and I have ever seen....and we have seen some pretty big rats. We're either going to wait for one of the cats to catch it....or Merlyn will have to deal with it when he begins gutting the place.

Perhaps it will challenge him to a duel for rights to the trailer?

At any rate, pictures of "After the big clean" will be up this evening. It is a *huge* improvement....although it shows very much just how badly it needs to be gutted.

From aft to fore:

The fiberglass in the bathroom is NOT cracked...not the bathtub, the toilet or the sink. However, it ranges in color from light beige to dark, dark, burnt orange. And it certianly looks like it wants to crack any second now. Therefore, it will need to be replaced. I have no desire to have any of those peices desintegrate while i am using them.

The closets are badly warps....but the hardware looks to be in semi-decent condition. I am going to try to clean it up any way.

The bedframes are completely and utterly toast. There is no saving either one. The upper cabinets are warped and chewed. Can't save those either.

The kitchen counters are warped and buckled. Ditto for the lower cabinets. The stove-top is rusted through in a couple of places. The refridgerator will be banded and welded shut before it is moved out of there and placed in a toxic waste dump. The Control Center is in very good condition. The oven is in fair condition. I will probably get an all-in-on oven and stovetop anyway to save some space. The sink is corroded and warped.

The upper cabinets in the living area have large cracks in the plastic. However, the doors and accents seem to be in great shape. The original radio and 8-track player appear to be in near-perfect condition.

There is no floor worth saving anywhere. The skin walls are badly stained and degenerated. (Looks like years of nicotine build-up and that powdery stuff that happens to oxidized fiberglass and plastics)

So...okay....

The shell needs cleaning and polishing, but otherwise looks great. Once the floors are out, I'll know what shape the frame, tanks, etc. are in.

For now, we don't have an Airstream. We have:

An aluminium shell
An Airstream Control Center
An original Airstream Radio and 8-track tape player
An R.V. oven
2 propane tanks

These are all in good condition.

Peace,
Caliann
a.k.a. The Mrs. Merlyn
Old 10-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
"Cloud with a SILVER Lining"

Quote:

So...okay....

The shell needs cleaning and polishing, but otherwise looks great. Once the floors are out, I'll know what shape the frame, tanks, etc. are in.

For now, we don't have an Airstream. We have:

An aluminium shell
An Airstream Control Center
An original Airstream Radio and 8-track tape player
An R.V. oven
2 propane tanks

These are all in good condition.

Peace,
Caliann
a.k.a. The Mrs. Merlyn
Congrats on the purchase. I know your vision and hard work along with determination will pay off. I also saw, a great looking outer shell, an intact screen door, and your trailer is the first year for the Vista View (upper)windows. The pics are great. Thanks for sharing!
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Off the topic just a tad,

"The occupants suffered the same fate as the Anasazi Indian culture of Chaco Canyon."
I know you're kidding, but I was surprised to learn:
According to the Park Rangers, all those "old indians" didn't just disappear, they are still with us. They are the ancestors of the Hopi, Zuni, and Pueblo Indians. Current thinking is that the Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly and the Mogollons just got tired of all that climbing up and down........
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
I know you're kidding, but I was surprised to learn:
According to the Park Rangers, all those "old indians" didn't just disappear, they are still with us. They are the ancestors of the Hopi, Zuni, and Pueblo Indians. Current thinking is that the Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly and the Mogollons just got tired of all that climbing up and down........
regards
I didn't realize that, I've read about the mysterious and unexplained disappearance of several Native American and Central American cultures, speculation of disease, disaster, overrun of Europeans, etc. But I never heard a common sense conclusion like they were tired of dealing with the logistics of geography. So I've learned something today. Thanks!
On a more serious note, I do hope the occupant got appropriate help and that any children involved didn't fall through the cracks in the system. The pharmaceutical evidence does sound as if there may have been problems that needed professional attention.
Caliann and Merlyn, sounds like you've done a HUGE preliminary cleanup, battled vermin, survived a toxic fridge, and you have quite a renovation ahead. I have no doubt the before and afters will be remarkable. You should be an inspiration to anyone who is hesitant to tackle a similar situation. Karma is on the way!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #37
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Caliann and Merlyn, sounds like you've done a HUGE preliminary cleanup, battled vermin, survived a toxic fridge, and you have quite a renovation ahead. I have no doubt the before and afters will be remarkable. You should be an inspiration to anyone who is hesitant to tackle a similar situation. Karma is on the way!
[insert manical laughter here]

Merlyn managed to get out of preliminary clean-up. He had to work this weekend. However, I am sticking him with all the gutting, so it is fair. That way he can do battle with the Rat That Ate Cincinatti.

But I have plans. Ohhhhhh, do *I* have plans.

Peace,
Caliann
Old 10-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #38
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Do you have plans to drop the belly pan? The rat may have friends or you might find the lost people . I am sure you will find something that did not come from Jackson Certer if you do.....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
... The original radio and 8-track player appear to be in near-perfect condition .... Peace, Caliann, a.k.a. The Mrs. Merlyn
Hi Caliann:

Great adventure you and Merlyn are thrilling us with! I'm sure you will be pleased to know that your 8 track tape player is backwards compatible and also plays 4 track tapes, so your extensive 4 track collection can follow you down the road. Congratulations on your acquisition, gumption and vision. I look forward to seeing your renewed trailer upon completion. Have fun and enjoy the process.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #40
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Caliann,

If I may make a suggestion... don't throw out those old prescription psychotropic drugs just yet... You may find them useful before the restoration is over!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote