Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:47 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Fair enough. This would be a boring place to live if we all thought the same.

Thank you for posting your opinion.

Jerry
WBAC #1341
Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenze View Post
It is of course just a saying.

It applies as my opinion, which is different than yours that I would rather spend my time doing more enjoyable things then trying to save money by going out of my way to register in another state just to save a few dollars.

A late model Airsteam trailer is a luxury item. Plain and simple. It is expensive. It never ceases to amaze me that some people who can afford them will complain about the cost to own them.
I see nothing wrong at all, with registering an Airstream trailer out of state, if the registration fees in your state really are $800 per annum. Maine makes it very easy to register for up to 12 years at a single registration for just $20 per year. Thats great value.

Approximately 12% of 18 wheeler trailers on the East coast are registered in Maine....many of these are bulk fleet registrations.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenze View Post
It is of course just a saying.

It applies as my opinion, which is different than yours that I would rather spend my time doing more enjoyable things then trying to save money by going out of my way to register in another state just to save a few dollars.

A late model Airsteam trailer is a luxury item. Plain and simple. It is expensive. It never ceases to amaze me that some people who can afford them will complain about the cost to own them.
Well, this is an interesting perspective...are you saying you don't try to maximize your ability to save money when you purchase your TV's or TT's (or anything for that matter); after all that is really what we are trying to do here...most of us anyway? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Purchasing an AS or any expensive vehicle to some folks may not be a "luxury" item by the way...for me it was and is, my choice of purchasing quality and comfort for the way we travel; and having owned several models of TT's and MH's, we found AS to be very cost effective with high quality vs some others we have owned...nothing to do with luxury in a Flying Cloud model...we love the Classic models and also the new Globe Trotter models, but are fine with the FC....for now; great bang for the buck and they typically keep most of their value vs SOB's. But I digress;

Saving money, like a few thousand dollars on registration and sales tax, is something most everyone should want to take advantage of, if they can....who wants to give money to the Government be it state or local if you don't have to??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #44
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
As more people look to save money by buying and registering out of state, many of the states have passed laws to address these issues. While it is legal to create an LLC in Montana to purchase your RV, it may not be legal to bring it back to your home state.In Arizona to be in compliance you must:

- purchase out of AZ
- stay out of AZ for the first 90 days after delivery
- travel at least 5 months of the year - out of AZ

States are taking the loss of revenue seriously and the fines for not being in compliance far exceed the original savings.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 01-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, this is an interesting perspective...are you saying you don't try to maximize your ability to save money when you purchase your TV's or TT's (or anything for that matter); after all that is really what we are trying to do here...most of us anyway? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Purchasing an AS or any expensive vehicle to some folks may not be a "luxury" item by the way...for me it was and is, my choice of purchasing quality and comfort for the way we travel; and having owned several models of TT's and MH's, we found AS to be very cost effective with high quality vs some others we have owned...nothing to do with luxury in a Flying Cloud model...we love the Classic models and also the new Globe Trotter models, but are fine with the FC....for now; great bang for the buck and they typically keep most of their value vs SOB's. But I digress;

Saving money, like a few thousand dollars on registration and sales tax, is something most everyone should want to take advantage of, if they can....who wants to give money to the Government be it state or local if you don't have to??
By the way....we saved the 8.55% sales tax by registering in MT= $6,325...let's see...how can we use those "few dollars" savings...Alaska road trip perhaps?? New electric bikes for our travels? Cruise in the winter somewhere?....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
By the way....we saved the 8.55% sales tax by registering in MT= $6,325...let's see...how can we use those "few dollars" savings...Alaska road trip perhaps?? New electric bikes for our travels? Cruise in the winter somewhere?....
Wow that is a lot. Maybe you can use it to pay your annual dues to Tax Dodgers Anonymous.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #47
Sweatpants

1975 26' Argosy 26
Shenandoah , Iowa
No excuse for rudeness

I learned in kindergarten, if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. All the responses you received were respectful, as well they should be. My opinion.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatpants View Post
I learned in kindergarten, if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. All the responses you received were respectful, as well they should be. My opinion.
Ok everyone. Just relax. Your scolding of me is just as offensive as anything I have said. I have done nothing more then to try and state my opinion. The same as others have done.

Yet some have felt the need to respond to my comments as somehow not valid. The mere fact that I believe that one should pay taxes to the primary state in which they live and park their trailer is beyond comprehension for some. It is just one opinion. Not right, not wrong. qypsydad went out of his way to invalidate my opinion (twice) and did it in a rather pretentious way (hardly respectful). Let's just put this one to rest and agree to disagree. I apologize if I have offended anyone.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Newmarket , Ontario
Registration Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
I've never thought of Ontario as being a low tax jurisdiction however trailer registration is a one time fee of $72.
Our Ontario Licence plates may be only a one time fee but the 13% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) on purchase wasn't easy to swallow.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #50
RVHive

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteve06 View Post
Only if it has a motor, otherwise you pay ad valorem every year on that trailer or fifth wheel.
This is very true in GA. We pay over $1,000 each year in ad valorem on our Airstream, and that's on top of the sales tax we paid when we purchased it. When it comes to taxes, GA is not a good place to own an Airstream.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
We have homes in both California and Utah and divide our time pretty much equally between the two. We have our AS and two cars registered in UT, and two other cars registered in CA. Drivers license is from UT. Have never had any problem with either CA or UT authorities when I explain that we split our lives between the two states.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #52
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Glad I’m in Idaho ....
Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
off topic

I predict there will be a tsunami of folks leaving cali over the next decade or so ... most driven out by cost of living ... I really think that owning RV parks will be big business in the coming decades. Not just retirees but younger folks looking for adventure travel too, this generation doesn't want to be saddled with mortgage debt and $1m fixer homes ... you gotta pay $10-12k yr alone in property taxes in Cali on a $1m homes & then with all the fires, the cost of home insurance will become staggering. I'm hearing at today rates, people are getting 60cs on the dollar in rebuild costs. If there is a more appropriate thread on this site to discuss further, let me know !
I'd be curious to know if there are any Co-op style RV parkers, multiple owners in an association each with their own lot ... kinda like a timeshare or owner-occupier mobile home parks ..
Old 01-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #54
Classy Roscoe

Wink The Joy of Taxes

Tax evasion is illegal.
Tax avoidance is good business.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
In TN our tag is $18 per year.....If I remember correctly. My advise is to hook up and drive east. Anywhere you stop will be cheaper than CA.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #56

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Charlotte , Florida
My son lives in Mi , I signed trailer over to him I have a forever plate
Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Do not get stopped by the CHP with Arizona plates and a California drivers license. You will have to pay all back registration fees. I paid my $735 last October. BTW, I believe the are scheduled to go up again in 2019.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
CHP are getting more vigilant about out-of-state vehicles. If you have an AZ-registered vehicle and the same cop spots it several times you can get popped. There is a short (less than thirty day) time allowance to re-register in California when you bring in a vehicle.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #59

Highland Village , Texas
Texas is $45 to $55 for anything under 10,000 pounds GVW, it seems.

You have the upfront joy of Texas sales tax, of course.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarketca View Post
Our Ontario Licence plates may be only a one time fee but the 13% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) on purchase wasn't easy to swallow.
I know - it would have been a good time to live in Alberta when we bought it.
Closed Thread