Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Vintage PA Plate

Cleaning out Dad's garage years ago, I kept a vintage PA Trailer plate with stickers to '66. Looking at it closer...it had two stickers, for '65 and '66, but the raised numbers are for '64! The same year as our Bambi II!

I am thinking of trying the route of getting this plate re-registered. I am not sure how stringent that will be, but I am hopeful it can be done.

Also, I need to restore it or have it restored. It has some thick white paint spilled on it and I botched up around the numbers when getting the old stickers off (still well-stuck after 44 years!!)

I have contacted come places to do this restoration work and it looks like the going rate is around $70. I may try to do it myself. If PA DOT is as goofy about registering this plate as they are about everything else, I will probably repaint this plate and put it on along with and actual issued plate. I just think it will be cool to have a '64 trailer plate on an actual '64 trailer!
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I like old license plates also. It would be interesting to see if you could get the PA plate renewed again.

Last year while attending the region One vermont rally a very nice couple from the Carolinas that own a 62' Bambi walked over and presented us with this Ohio 62' plate. He already owned an Ohio trailer 62'. Nice.

This house trailer #2 plate was owned by Helen Schwamborn. Photo credit to Pee Wee Schwamborn.

The vintage ME plate is for another time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohio 62' 001.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	103222  
Attached Images

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Many states have provisions for YOM (year of manufacture) license plates. Check with your DMV before you have the plate restored. Some states (like Florida) will not certify repaints. If the plate is professionally restored, sometimes state officials can not tell and will certify them.

For more information on antique license plate, go to the website of the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association at ALPCA Online - Automobile License Plate Collectors Association.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
For more information on antique license plate, go to the website of the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association at ALPCA Online - Automobile License Plate Collectors Association.

Brian

I tried that website last night and could not get anywhere with it. It does not seem to have many click-able areas...and I certainly could not find any useful info on the homepage. Am I missing something? Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Cleaning out Dad's garage years ago, I kept a vintage PA Trailer plate with stickers to '66. Looking at it closer...it had two stickers, for '65 and '66, but the raised numbers are for '64! The same year as our Bambi II!

I am thinking of trying the route of getting this plate re-registered. I am not sure how stringent that will be, but I am hopeful it can be done.

Also, I need to restore it or have it restored. It has some thick white paint spilled on it and I botched up around the numbers when getting the old stickers off (still well-stuck after 44 years!!)

I have contacted come places to do this restoration work and it looks like the going rate is around $70. I may try to do it myself. If PA DOT is as goofy about registering this plate as they are about everything else, I will probably repaint this plate and put it on along with and actual issued plate. I just think it will be cool to have a '64 trailer plate on an actual '64 trailer!
I put my vintage one where the plate belongs, and my "real" one on the bumper. I haven't been stopped yet, but I am afraid that someone will steal my old one!

My oldie is from Mass, which is where the trailer spent its first fifty four years, and the past two have been with me. It has special significance for me, as I was born in Mass in 1953.

I will watch this thread, as I have a 53 Vermont one too. I can't imagine Vermont would ever let me re-register it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back of 53 sepia.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	103247  
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
New law in PA

New law in PA not sure about trailers

Pa. allows period-correct license plates on antique vehicles

HARRISBURG - If you want every aspect of your restored antique vehicle to be authentic, a modern day license plate may stick out like a sore thumb.

A new law signed by Gov. Tom Corbett makes the operation of antique automobiles with period-correct Pennsylvania license plates a reality.

Revenue raised from the legislation, introduced by Rep. John Lawrence, R-Chester County, will be directed toward needed road and bridge repairs in Pennsylvania.

Authored by Lawrence, this legislation has drawn wide support from car enthusiasts throughout Pennsylvania.

The Hershey-based Antique Automobile Club of America strongly endorsed the proposal, and contacted Lawrence, urging it become law.

"Pennsylvania annually hosts a number of internationally recognized car shows, creating a substantial positive economic impact well into the millions of dollars," Lawrence said. "As a nationwide nexus of antique automobile hobbyists, it is long overdue for Pennsylvania to be in line with more than 45 other states that allow the display of vintage license plates on vintage automobiles."

Steve Moskowitz, executive director of the AACA, said the new law allows antique vehicles to finally be accurate in every detail, if an owner so desires.

"Passage of this legislation is good news for thousands of antique car owners in Pennsylvania," Moskowitz said. "As car owners continue to preserve our country's automotive heritage they can legally operate their vehicles on public highways with authentic plates from the year of manufacture. This is more than a convenience or a nice touch, but rather a further authentication of historical vehicles which only adds to the rich public contribution of our automobiles."

With more than 60,000 members worldwide, the AACA is recognized as the nation's leading organization dedicated to the preservation, display, and enjoyment of antique automobiles.

Lawrence serves the 13th Legislative District, located in Southern Chester County in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Elected to the General Assembly in 2010, he is a lifelong AACA member.
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
A google search can be done for vintage license plates and a number of sites will come up. I purchased a '74 Ohio "House Vehicle" plate for my Overlander for $9. It was in pristine shape and still have the registration sticker on it from 1975. It looks really cool on the Airstream, and yes, it is the registered historical plate for the vehicle. Glad to see PA has gotten on board with this really neat way to snazz-up one's vintage items.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Vintage or YOM plates are kool. This is the original that Grandma got with her new Ford in "53". It was in the trunk when we got the car, it was my car show plate that I installed while showing. I forgot to take it off one time and it's been on ever since.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03513.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	156264