Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #1

1961 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Gardena , California
Vin doesn't match with previous owner's DMV title

Hello.
I recently bought 1961 airstream from here on 3/2/2021

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

I paid full amount and get a pinkslip from him and towed my car back to my house.

Then I just recognized the VIN on DMV paper and the plate Vin # doesn't match even though license plate# matches.

Vin on the plate is 222-D-678. But the pinkslip number is 1299221431.
Is that normal?

When I asked him, he said "The original plates got stolen, so we had to get new ones issued. "

I hope I didn't buy somebody's stolen airstream. The previous owner has his own business and this car was under his business name though.

Please advice me if it is as normal as usual.

Sincerely,
Masa
masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might take all of that information to your local police department and see what they can determine.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Waukesha , Wisconsin
Not an expert in this and not familiar with the particulars of your state, but something seems awful fishy here. The VIN should not change when new plates are issued, regardless of the reason. When the original plates were stolen and the new ones issued the paperwork should have had the same VIN on them, as that's how the plates are connected to the vehicle.

Trying to find ways to give the seller the benefit of the doubt here...

Did he have other trailers for sale? Possibly things got confused and you've got the wrong plates & paperwork?

I know in the bus conversion world it does happen that original VIN plates get lost during long restoration projects and are replaced. Sometimes multiple vehicles are combined to make one, resulting in a change of VIN. These situations usually have accompanying paperwork to provide a paper trail supporting the new VIN.

First thing I'd do is call your DMV and make an inquiry about the VIN. You might also be able to do this online. The next call would be to the local PD to see if they have any records of this being a stolen trailer.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Secondary Vin#

Your AS contains a hidden(secondary) Vin, as most vehicles do. You need to find it and compare. Locations vary by vehicle, so maybe the Airstream Factory may be able to assist you there.
I agree with the above post. Something not right here & the faster you figure it out, the better.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Hidden VIN on 70's trailers are stamped into A-Frame. I would contact seller and ask for my $$ back and look for new trailer. It appears to be a can of worms. Best of luck

Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wouldn’t both VIN #’s be on title paperwork?

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Is that a SALVAGE trailer and that is the number issued for that reason ? Shouldn"t it have a title instead of a PINK slip?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Something is very wrong here. The first vin you listed is for a 62 Airstream and the second appears to be from a 70s 29 foot Airstream.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by masa View Post
Hello.

I paid full amount and get a pinkslip from him and towed my car back to my house.

Then I just recognized the VIN on DMV paper and the plate Vin # doesn't match even though license plate# matches.

Is that normal?

When I asked him, he said "The original plates got stolen, so we had to get new ones issued. "

I hope I didn't buy somebody's stolen airstream. The previous owner has his own business and this car was under his business name though.

Sincerely,
Masa
The # on the plate doesn't match a 1962. I read it as a 22' 62 double bed with a 678 line number.
The other should be the frame number.

Also...

Looking at your photos...it's sitting way too low on the axle. It either weights a LOT more than stock, (wood interior) or more likely, the axle is shot.
The nose looks too high when hitched, get a stinger with more drop to it get level.

Bob
🇺🇸

Our '63 before replacement...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D4CB32C-ED97-4AE2-BB40-F05F3BBDA3FC_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	391910  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by masa View Post
Hello.

Is that normal?

Sincerely,
Masa
Plates shows registration; title shows ownership. VIN needs to match on all documents.

When I got my '61, the VIN was off by one digit...the last two symbols in my VIN are 6-D (D signifying a double bed layout). Somewhere along the way, someone verbally said "sixty" and the paperwork then showed "60" for the last two symbols.

We had to have that changed, the VIN verified by an inspection mechanic, and registration paperwork from the state of NY (sale state) from Nonstransferrable to Transferrable. It was an annoying process and took a few months with the assistance of the seller who was vested from the start and wanted things to be right.

I am hopeful your seller is very involved and interested in making it right for you as well. Otherwise, I do believe that you really don't own the trailer, whether you paid for it or not.

Communicate and communicate over and over again until this is resolved. The seller has responsibilities here for sure.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
Site Team

, Minnesota
Neither of the numbers is a VIN Number. The first number you gave (222-D-678) is the manufacturer serial number.

The second number (1299221431) is probably the state's title number.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote