Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Got er done!

Well thanks to this post I got my trailer inspected today. Went to the local state inspection place and is was a simple process: Lights, Insurance, and OK Mr. Smith your all done.
He didnt know where to put the sticker so we just stuck it where the old one was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	145490

After I got that done I went and got my new registration sticker too, so now Im good to go!

Thanks for starting this thread Sphere Guy, learned something here. You might have kept me from getting a 250 dollar ticket.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Virginia does an inspection once a year, and they use a sticky backed inspection sticker that goes on the road side of the tongue.

Now mind you I've seen people with stickers that are YEARS out of date or with no sticker at all that regularly tow on the highway.

Me... I'm a cop magnet. If I have a sticker that is ONE DAY out of date, I will get caught, so I keep mine up to date. Unfortunately there are few places that DO trailer inspections so it's always best to get them done early in the month before the crowds hit.

Paula
I'm from Virginia also. Have to get both the AS and my car trailer inspected annually. Sticker goes on the street side of the tongue.
My dealer requires me to back the trailer in to his single door garage to inspect it; requires almost a 90 degree back up to get it in line.....I guess so he can see the lights! He says it is a state requirement that it be IN the garage......a real pain for an 8 minute job and $16.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Way to go Mr.S. Now don't you feel better!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Ours did not have an inspection sticker when we bought it, in Texas. No request for one when we registered it in Texas. And this is the first I have ever heard about a law requiring it in Texas. Learn something new every day I guess. After reading the posts above about the varying degrees of actual inspection that is done, it is obviously not something that is being properly administered.. Sounds like a scam just to gain money for the state. (and not even a good one since they don't seem to enforce the requirement) Doubt I will play.
ok, I was so wrong. It actually does have an old sticker, right on the aluminum skin where a rock guard would be on a newer trailer. Street side. But I cannot tell from what year. The 4 was punched out, It is a 1984 Sovereign so 1984, 94, 2004?? Obviously not something that was done often. I think I like the way this one looks so I may just leave it.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
INSPECTION STICKER????

What are you guys talking about?

I bought mine NEW...If the dealer didn't add one,..you would think they aren't needed!Really an Inspection Sticker??? I have had LOgged OVER 15,000 miles in 2 years and Never heard of such nonsense.

Are you guys for real??? It's a Law?

Gotta be for MOTORHOMES....Right?

Seriously.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
INSPECTION STICKER????

What are you guys talking about?

I bought mine NEW...If the dealer didn't add one,..you would think they aren't needed!Really an Inspection Sticker??? I have had LOgged OVER 15,000 miles in 2 years and Never heard of such nonsense.

Are you guys for real??? It's a Law?

Seriously.

Shane

Seriously! Had mine done today, Id never heard of such either. Inspector told me its a 250 dollar fine for not having it. He said State Troopers are the worst about checking for it.

I just went ahead and paid my 14.50 instead of waiting to see if I was gonna have to pay the 250.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #27
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Why would it not come "Inspected" from a dealer?

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Why would it not come "Inspected" from a dealer?

Shane

When I went to get mine registered today I asked about the whole inspection sticker thing and they told me that it only has to be inspected if it has a gross weight of 4500 lbs or more.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I have a long time friend who is also an insurance adjuster....he said they are told to check for a current inspection sticker when an RV trailer is involved in an accident....it gives them an out to not cover the damage since there is no proof that the RV trailer was legal and safe prior to the accident....light, brakes, tires, etc......so for me $14.50 is cheap insurance.....
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I'm guessing that Shane's AS is more than 4500 lbs. and I am assuming that the dealer he bought it from did not do the inspection.

I bought mine used and got it inspected when i took it in to replace the tires. and the sticker went on the streetside of tongue
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Getting it done

Thanks a lot Sphere Guy. This thread has scared me into getting the inspection done. Sigh...
Actually, we dropped it off at Camper Clinic in Rockport, TX to get bearings packed, brakes worked on, and some other little things so we decided to go ahead and get it inspected. Left it there about noon and they said they would move it quickly. We drove back by about 5 and the only trailer sitting out front with all those white boxes on the other side was our trailer. I think they needed an Airstream as a draw...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Clinic.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	148471  

WBCCI 3805
Old 01-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #32
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Update on my end...got her done last month,...better safe than sorry.

Thank you for the education.

I was clueless,

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I got mine inspected a few years ago after running for several years having never done it.
The reason for complying for me was having a conversation with a Highway Patrolman in a social setting and asking him if Texas enforced the inspection requirement. He said they don't go looking for trailers without stickers, but anytime one is involved in an accident, particularly an at fault accident, the driver will be cited, and it could affect the insurance company's willingness to pay a claim since the trailer was "illegally" on the road.
I towed mine 4 city blocks for an inspection the very next time I hooked up. They checked everything...lights, tires, brakes, breakaway switch. Upon renewal at the same inspector, they checked the lights, and asked me if everything else was ok....they know I won't tow one that isn't fully functional with brakes, etc.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
I was at Texas RV Supply the other day to set a date for an "all systems" check up on my "new" Argosy. Asked them about doing the inspection...they said only motorized vehicles or TT's coming into the state need one.
But if it will help in case of an insurance problem it is certainly worth the $14.50! Wonder why they told me that?
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
I was at Texas RV Supply the other day to set a date for an "all systems" check up on my "new" Argosy. Asked them about doing the inspection...they said only motorized vehicles or TT's coming into the state need one.
But if it will help in case of an insurance problem it is certainly worth the $14.50! Wonder why they told me that?
Vicki- I don't know why they would tell you that. I have all my work done there and also my inspections. Maybe who you talked to is mis informed.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Vicki- I don't know why they would tell you that. I have all my work done there and also my inspections. Maybe who you talked to is mis informed.
Actually odds are pretty good that Vicki A's 6.7 metre Minuet is exempt. If the registered gross weight is 4500 lb or less it's not required, but it only costs $14.50 to avoid ever having to prove that to a cop or a court.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
And even though I learned on these forums that it is 4500 lbs... They told me at Camper Clinic that it is 3500 lbs...
So I am getting it done, but still think it is a very poorly run requirement that seems to have no "official" policing of the practices at the inspection places by the good state of TX...

WBCCI 3805
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
I got mine inspected a few years ago after running for several years having never done it.
The reason for complying for me was having a conversation with a Highway Patrolman in a social setting and asking him if Texas enforced the inspection requirement. He said they don't go looking for trailers without stickers, but anytime one is involved in an accident, particularly an at fault accident, the driver will be cited, and it could affect the insurance company's willingness to pay a claim since the trailer was "illegally" on the road.
I towed mine 4 city blocks for an inspection the very next time I hooked up. They checked everything...lights, tires, brakes, breakaway switch. Upon renewal at the same inspector, they checked the lights, and asked me if everything else was ok....they know I won't tow one that isn't fully functional with brakes, etc.
Almost the same info my insurance friend told me....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Scranton , Arkansas
Not required in Ar. La. state police use it in traps in north La. Experiace speaks. I alwas used to put it on window by entry door so I saw it every time I got in. May see you in Johnson City. Frenchy in Ar..
L.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #40
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Here is another question to ponder,.....

Who actually carries their insurance card on their airstream trailer? Is it required to carry one? Has anyone ever been asked for it when pulled over?

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432