Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Thumbs down Title trouble 1969 Sovereign

The tax office wont accept our VIN# or need a different number I guess. Is there some rule we aren't aware of for this year or any pre-80's?
BakedTaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Can't they be reasoned with per your other post & my reply here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post413317.

It would be very evident that the format is proper for your vintage if you have a previous title. Do you not have that?

Print out the Airstream pages, tow your trailer there and let them get an experienced oldster on their staff to tell them, "That's the way it was."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Texas Titles

Wow! Things have changed in the last, ahem, 16 or 17 years since I left Texas. The title for my 67 had a very strange number that I have never been able to locate on the trailer. (Disconcerting) I also owned a 57 Fairlane 500 4 door (What if Batman had kids?) with the correct VIN on the title, but was listed as a 1957 Chevy! Things were a little more fast and loose then.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
18 wheeler title

We bought a new 94 peterbilt semi tractor and the tax office put the wrong weight on the title. We didn't notice it until I got a notice to buy new tags. The rate was for a 1/2 ton pickup. They wouldn't let me buy the proper tags and they wouldn't change the weight desigination for me. I had to have the finance co get it corrected. Maybe you can get it inspected by a DPS or sheriff To verify title number. When we bought our first travel trailer it had a Nevada title . We had to get an inspection sticker and have the sheriff's dept verify the vin # as correct.

Good luck on getting your title in order. Some clerks are easier to work with than others.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
About ten years ago, I bought a fairly new pickup. I took the title and all the related paperwork to the tag office closest to me, and proceeeded to have to go back 7 times. First time, the seller forgot to write their middle name as the seller, second time they said the seller had put a line under the cent amount, third time, the odometer reading was off by 100 miles, etc, etc. After the 7th time, I got fed up with them, tore all the extra notaraized documantation off the title, went to another tag office a couple miles further away. I walked in, handed them the original title and paperwork, and walked out with everything done like it was supposed to be in 10 minutes.
The moral of this story is, go to another tag office, if possible.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Taking All Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The moral of this story is, go to another tag office, if possible.
I think that is exactly what we will end up doing, trying the DMV method if neccesary.

The problem with all of this: buying from a guy who inherited it from his uncle, and he's not even sure if his uncle ever had the title switched from the person he bought it from.
Would a bill of sale make it any easier or just more complicated?
The seller is taking care of all of this, but he's very busy and we want our new home! He suggested he would move it down here for us so we can begin construction, but we realize once the sale is complete, it's our responsibility to make sure it's titled.
What a mess!
BakedTaters is offline   Reply With Quote