Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #1

Decatur , Georgia
title / park in NC, but primary home in GA

I want to buy a new (2013) Airstream from a dealer in NC and then I want to park it at campground in NC and not even own a tow vehicle in the foreseeable future (a hassle if it needs to go back for warranty work...). My primary residence is in GA and the tax commissioner's office in GA said I need to have all my 'vehicles' registered in GA or I will lose my homestead exemption. I plan to use it as a stationary, secondary home to escape from Atlanta every chance I get (and for work as needed at a second, part-time job in NC). Later, I will want to own a tow vehicle and drag it across the country. I'm trying to legally avoid paying 7% sales tax in GA when I can pay 3% (with a 1,500$ cap) in NC. By parking it at the same campground in NC for the next year, having a job in NC, does that make me a dual resident and not risk losing homestead exemption on my primary home in GA?
Thanks so much for any advice!
Youma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Why did you even talk to the govt in GA. Buy it at the NC dealer and tell him to deliver it to Sunny Acres, 123 Any St, Porkchop, NC 87654,,, then stand mute.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Why register it at all if you will leave it at the campground. The dealer can move it to your campground of choice on dealer plates, that way the state of GA. will be satisfied because all your vehicles are "registered" in GA.
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youma View Post
I'm trying to legally avoid paying 7% sales tax in GA when I can pay 3% (with a 1,500$ cap) in NC. By parking it at the same campground in NC for the next year, having a job in NC, does that make me a dual resident and not risk losing homestead exemption on my primary home in GA?
Thanks so much for any advice!
If you think the sales tax is expensive, wait until you get your property tax bill for the NC registered $90,000 Airstream. Annually. And it won't matter if you are in GA or not, you have to pay the property tax. It will probably amount to several hundred dollars per year.

And since I'll probably being the one delivering your trailer, I won't say one way or the other about registering it or not, though one person did this, and still got a tax lien on the trailer.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #5

Decatur , Georgia
Thanks again all for the advice! I have been looking at the thread: Would you buy a brand new Airstream? and of course questioning my judgment on this major life decision to spend this much money. I can't believe I have had the self-discipline to hold off this long and not 'just do it'. Hopefully I can cool my jets long enough to seriously consider some used ones.
Thanks again.
Youma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
IMHO,,, spend the money, you may as well enjoy it, cause you can't take it with you when you go.