Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
As a retired probate attorney, I've dealt with these issues routinely for decades. First of all, you present two independent issues, which should not be confused with each other, and each should be treated separately and independently:
1. How to get a duplicate title when the original title has been lost; and
2. Once the duplicate title has been obtained, how to transfer the title to its rightful owner as the existing owner(s) of the trailer has (have) died.

As for getting a duplicate title, that's really the task of the Executor/Administrator of the owner's (owners') estate, as the owner(s) have died --- likely meaning that the trailer has fallen into his/her/their probate estate (assuming, for example, that the trailer was not titled in the form of joint tenancy with right of survivorship and a survivor remains on title). At least in WA, where I practiced, that was a simple matter of the Executor/Administrator's (or his or her attorney) applying for a duplicate license through the Dept. of Motor Vehicles/Dept. of Licensing of the trailer's state of registration. I've done dozens of these --- it's just a matter of getting the proper form (chances are over the Internet from the proper state agency), filling it out, perhaps getting it notarized, and submitting it to the proper state agency together with paying the standard fee for the service.

As for transferring title, that's up to the decedent's (decedents') estate, their Wills if any, state law if no Will(s), and getting the Executor/Administrator (or his or her attorney) to transfer the trailer accordingly, again by getting the proper form, filling it out, perhaps getting it notarized, and submitting it to the proper state agency together with paying the standard fee for the service.

All of this can be done easily; it's just a matter of following the correct procedure, which, involving the law, typically means a lot of paperwork --- tedious but doable.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #22
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Title to Airstream

Bought new 2018 Intl Signature FB at Salem, OR International. I am told by dealer they don’t require title in Oregon. Is that true and how do I ever sell it in a state that requires a title?
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingLink5 View Post
Bought new 2018 Intl Signature FB at Salem, OR International. I am told by dealer they don’t require title in Oregon. Is that true and how do I ever sell it in a state that requires a title?
Not true
Registration = title
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/464.pdf
Old 08-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
colorado springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One very simple answer to the question may be that the trailer never was registered in Florida. Are there plates on the trailer? If so from where? If not, are there any pictures of the trailer with plates on it?

Bob

There actually are still FLA plates on it so it was registered before, but the DMV looked up the plate and told me after 10 years of not renewing the registration that plate number had been reassigned.
ColoPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
CORVALLIS , Oregon
I was recently the executor of my brother's estate which included a Casita trailer that was not titled in his name. I believe that all states in which trailers are titled require a VIN verification. The FL DMV can tell you. In TX it was an officer from the sheriff's office.

It should be an easy process. Just a heads-up though - the officer that inspected the trailer used the stamped number on the frame rather than the plate similar to Airstream's. I got someone from the Casita factory in contact with the officer to straighten out the issue. That being said, you could possibly save some time by asking the officer before the inspection date to verify that he/she knows where the VIN is located.

Not complicated at all but time-consuming especially when you live in another state. Good luck.
GayandDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Huntsville , Alabama
Getting title

I am a retired auto dealer and my wife processed all our titles. Each state is a little different but the process is close to the same. Go to your DMV with: death certificates ( if in both names) probate court ruling that designates you as beneficiary or executor and if nothing is owed on it- they will be able to issue you a replacement title.... according to the probate courts ruling -either in your name(preferred) or in the name of the”Estate of....”. Not hard to do but a few hoops to jump through. Wish you well

Bruce
Interstate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I did not read all the responses, so sorry if this has been mentioned previoiusly. What about simply going through the "bonded" title process? There are usually individuals/companies around that will do all the work for you at a nominal fee. I went this route on a 1952 Chevy pickup that I purchased without title. Very low risk to you since you know it is not stolen and no one will claim the trailer for the two year period that the bonded title covers. After two years, you can convert the title to a regular title.

With all that said, that is how it works in TX. Your state might vary.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #28

1981 31' Excella II
Prescott , Arizona
title problem

Unclebob is correct. Take a picture of the VIN off the trailer, take that and the license plate to MVD wherever you live and talk to the folks about your situation. They my want to do a physical inspection to verify the VIN. Ask them to do a motor vehicle title search. It will take some time and paper work on your side and you may have get a "bonded title" if no owner responses to your inquiries about the ownership. Make a friend at MVD things will go smoother. You'll get a clean title, it just takes time and effort on your part. Gook luck.
Cedarhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Get the VIN off unit and take it to DMV last place it was registered and with VIN, will be easy for computer to locate it and last registered owners. Likely have to have death certificate and your birth certificate to get lost or missing title.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Don't over complicate it. Check with the state you want to register it in (Colorado?). A vehicle that old may only require a 'Bill of Sale" to register it. It that's the case create a bill of sale from your grandfather to you and just register the thing in Colorado. If its owned by your family no issue. Colorado is not going to track down the previous owner of an almost 50yr old trailer.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Lacey , WA
There's a mix of information here - and some of it can steer you wrong depending on the state you're trying to do this in.

I would look carefully at each state's rules for "abandoned" "unregistered" "bonded title" etc before I tried moving the trailer. Your strongest claim is in Florida, where the trailer currently sits, has been sitting on the property for a long time, and you can show the best case for provenance. Attempting to register the trailer in Colorado may create issues if it was titled last in Florida, for example - they may just send you back to the Florida DMV to resolve this.

The other issue is that some states, like mine here in Washington, have complex rules about claiming abandoned vehicles, and you can only do this if you are a licensed towing and storage company in this state, having towed the vehicle off someone's property, held it in storage for x number of days and then attaching a lien to the property for the amount of the bill. Then it must be disposed of at auction.

- that's not a situation you want to put yourself in.

Other states, like Arizona, have a bonded title system, where you pay a bond based on the value of the vehicle, which they will issue you a title on. Should the 'rightful' owner come back and claim the vehicle, they will be paid the amount of the bond for the value of their property.

Do some research, but my suggestion would be to listen to the people who are telling you to handle it as part of the estate in Florida - that's the strongest claim, and lends the most authority to what you're attempting to do here.

Edit: it looks like Florida and Colorado may also offer the ability to issue bonded titles - which would be worth looking into as well: https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82033.pdf - Contact DMV first to find out what you need to do to qualify for a bonded title.

search for 'florida bonded car titles' and you'll get ads from dozens of companies who issue surety bonds for Florida titles.
Rustmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #32
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
This shouldn't be too difficult to fix. If if was willed to you, get a certified copy of that document and with it a notarized statement from the Executor stating that you indeed are the person (s) to whom it has been given. Then apply for a replacement title in your Grandparents name. When that arrives, fill out the form to transfer title. Sounds simple, it just takes some steps. Hope it all goes well for you. Enjoy your heirloom Airstream. Heirstream?
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Everyone might want to get caught up on the current state of affairs in the other thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...am-185093.html

Sounds like the OP may be approaching a dead end, due to the poor condition of the trailer IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
colorado springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Everyone might want to get caught up on the current state of affairs in the other thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...am-185093.html

Sounds like the OP may be approaching a dead end, due to the poor condition of the trailer IMO.

Peter

OP here, just figured I'd give an update:

As I stated in the other thread, at this point I am just going to try and figure out how to sell it "as-is". With the condition it is in, we would be in over our heads trying to restore it and none of us are in a position to even be able to take the time off to travel and enjoy it, even if it was restored. None of us have a vehicle that could pull it anyways. We did talk to our lawyer who is handling our family affairs and he recommends just trying to file for an abandoned property title. This was also recommended by the DMV. It would be too costly to try go through probate for something like this that isn't worth much.
ColoPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I will say it again, "bonded" title is the solution...others will do the work and you just write a small check ($300 or so probably). Or, sell it without title and make the new buyer do the same amount of work. New buyer may "charge" you more for his trouble...you will find out when they counter offer.

If the trailer has not been register in long time, it is probably that the records have been purged from the DMV systems.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPedro View Post
I am trying to gain possession of my grandparent's AS, but the title is MIA and they have both passed away. I know this will probably not be an easy task...but I know I am not the only person to have been in a situation like this. I would assume I need to apply for a lost/duplicate title. That probably won't be easy since the past owners are not alive, but hopefully not impossible. Does anyone have any advice they would like to send my way to make this process less painful?
When you go for the new tile also send both of your grandparents death certificates and I think that might help. Also if you have the license plats ID send that with. Also look in the ID plate on the outside of the trailer and snap a picture of it and print it out have it notarized and send that with.
Jim
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPedro View Post
OP here, just figured I'd give an update:

As I stated in the other thread, at this point I am just going to try and figure out how to sell it "as-is". With the condition it is in, we would be in over our heads trying to restore it and none of us are in a position to even be able to take the time off to travel and enjoy it, even if it was restored. None of us have a vehicle that could pull it anyways. We did talk to our lawyer who is handling our family affairs and he recommends just trying to file for an abandoned property title. This was also recommended by the DMV. It would be too costly to try go through probate for something like this that isn't worth much.
Your lawyer’s advice is not the direction to go and I have a hard time believing anyone at DMV would recommend the abandoned property process. The most direct route is always the best. Get in touch with the WBCCI and find out what you can based upon the number first. That information is a simple phone call or email away.

https://wbcci.org/
Ph 937-596-5211
If you have questions about your membership, numbers or to update personal information please contact the Membership Team.
Barb Langston, Membership Coordinator
membership@wbcci.org

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
The easiest solution to this problem is to register it in Vermont. You can do this from your home, anywhere in the USA by printing the paper work out, filling it out and sending it to the Vermont DMV. You will get Vermont registration and plates back. Then, if you want you can take the registration to your local DMV and get your title.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
The easiest solution to this problem is to register it in Vermont. You can do this from your home, anywhere in the USA by printing the paper work out, filling it out and sending it to the Vermont DMV. You will get Vermont registration and plates back. Then, if you want you can take the registration to your local DMV and get your title.
Shermy, have you done this? From what I’ve read Vermont requires a Vin/ID number. This is one of his problems. Apparently the plate is missing and there are no records from his grandparents showing this information.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
My apologies. I didn't realize the vin was missing.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote