Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
title change/registration???

I just bought my 1979 sovereign from a friend. Only problem? I live in Washington state and I just got the trailer which is licensed in Arizona, and I won't be going home until the end of next month! Should I just get the license plate here in Arizona and use the address and P.O. Box we have here, or just take it up to WA? We are going to be traveling. I'm just being cautious... I don't want to be spending more money than I have to. Any help would he nice!!!

Thanks!

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
title change/registration???

Greetings Grapes!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
I just bought my 1979 sovereign from a friend. Only problem? I live in Washington state and I just got the trailer which is licensed in Arizona, and I won't be going home until the end of next month! Should I just get the license plate here in Arizona and use the address and P.O. Box we have here, or just take it up to WA? We are going to be traveling. I'm just being cautious... I don't want to be spending more money than I have to. Any help would he nice!!!

Thanks!
Are you storing the Airstream at your friend's until you begin your return trip to Washington, or do you have a place where you will be camping in the trailer until your return trip to Washington? If you won't be spending a significant amount of time on the road with the trailer before your departure for home, you may be able to wait until just before your departure date and obtain an temporary tansit tag from Arizona that will give you at least 10 days to as much as 30 days to make your trip to Washington at less expense than registering in Arizona and then registering again in Washington. Another possibility might be to handle the process via mail if that is possible in Washington. I know that it would be possible to handle the transaction by mail in Illinois, but I know that we don't have required inspections with new title and registration being based upon the information contained in the out-of-state title and transfer paperwork supplied with the application of the new owner.

Good luck with resolving your registration issue!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
I'd get your friend to sign the title over to you and let you keep the tag until you got home... then mail the tag back and tag & title it at your permanent address. I was in AZ in 1985 and the tag/property tax was really high.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Greetings Grapes, Be sure to have your AZ title notarized before you leave your friends.Az MVD are real sticklers about it.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
She signed the back of the Title and put my name and everything on the back. So just keep the expired plates and just obtain a trip permit?

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
As I remember, Az requires notarization of the signature. Much easier to get it right the first time than hassle with it later
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote