Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2002, 07:05 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

I was raised in Park Ridge, IL. You had to have a city sticker on motor vehicles. Now that I am in Phoenix, there is no such thing as a city sticker. Put give them time. I am sure once they realize there is another way to make some money they will adopt a sticker program.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:11 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Motor Vehicle?

BUT IT AIN"T A MOTOR VEHICLE!

NO MOTOR ... at all. Never had one ... never will!

THE CODE SAYS MOTOR VEHICLE.. MY CAMPER ... is NOT a motor
vehicle.

They are starting to really tick me off!!

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 07:12 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I dont think I was claiming it was a motor vehicle in my post? I was just rambling. lol
Old 11-01-2002, 07:17 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

NO offense taken or implied

You are not the only "rambler" here .... I think I as just practicing
for when I get face to face the village idiots! I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

Still so mad I'm seeing SILVER!

THANKS!

DMC
Old 11-01-2002, 07:36 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Move!

Thank God, I don't have to deal with this kind of crap. I live in a township, in Ohio, and they cannot legislate stuff like this. BUT, there are developments with covenants and deed restrictions. Fortunatly, I do not live in a development. One thing to remember, in Ohio these restrictions have to be RENEWED every 10 years! Most are not renewed and are thus invalid.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:22 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Can't fight city hall

DMC,

I haved owned a boat with trailer since 1986. I have owned 3 homes since then. None of my homes have an RV restriction like you have discussed. My current home is in the city limits of Phoenix and was built in 1950. The restriction is that the RV be less than 35' and parked on a dust proof surface. The parking area is to be less than 40% of the front area of the home. Parking on the side of the home, or in the back is unrestricted.

That is a city ordinance. In communities that have developed in the last 10 to 15 years a HOA has been put in place to further restrict those communities. The benefit is in resale value. NOT ALL SUBDIVISIONS HAVE A HOA. In fact there is a small subdivision here built around a small man made lake. The purpose of the HOA is to take care of the lake. The purpose of the lake is expressly for water skiing! No sail boats and no fishing! Only skiing. And of course there are over 400 golf courses in the Phoenix area. Most of the courses have subdivisions built around them. With the relevant CC&R's and HOA's.

Bottom line.......look before you buy. Or you have to get the neighborhood (HOA, subdivision, or city) together and vote out the restriction.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-01-2002, 05:12 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

My situation

I have lived in this village for over 9 years. It is in fact one of the older sections of town so there are no HOA's involved.

Just a bunch of politicians that are competing with the neighboring villages for the snobbiness award.

There should be laws against this kinda CR-P!

DMC
Old 11-02-2002, 10:40 AM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Maybe you can fight city hall

DMC,

It sounds like there are at least 50 others in the same situation as you. Would there be enough to change the law/rule? The term "village" does not sound like a lot of people to me. And maybe a comprimise could be achieved between the existing rules and the desired result.

Now if you want to move to change the rules, remember all of the other RV's out there. Yes an Airstream does have beauty. However in someone else' eyes a SOB is just as beautifull. Including the guy with the bus. And a quasigovernment entity will not be able to discriminate based on brand. However I have seen rules based on location on the property, state of repair, age and size. Lastly existing rules are slow to change. However with enough support it can be done.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-02-2002, 11:29 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Wacking for my Airstream

I just had the fun of Waching down and digging out three of my
Liliac bushes.

This week ... the new double gates will go in.

I will then gently roll my little friend into its new resting spot,
in an "Village Idiot Approved" area of my back yard.

WHAT IS BEST thing to have under the trailer BESIDES the standards. (concrete ... asphalt....crushed stone)

I would like something that blends with the landscape ...
Would something like wood chips on plastic or weedblock .. be okay?

Is the primary concern moisture under the trailer?

Was going to use small concrete slabs under the 2 wheels and jack post.

Thoughts? Comments? EVERYONE has at least one!

DMC
Old 11-02-2002, 01:06 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Two track

In Phoenix there is an ordinance (yeah I had some issues too) about parking. Working registered vehicles can only be parked on dust proof surfaces. - We have some issues here regarding air quality and dust. - I have parked both of my trailers on 8" X 16" X 1.5" blocks that I bought from Home Depot. They are rose colored and I laid two rows where the tires would follow. They are cheaper than concrete, asphalt, and crushed rock. They are quick to install, easy to remove (if I ever move from here - ugh) pleasant to look at, and meet the Phoenix requirement of being dust proof. I have since filled in the center section with same color block that was thinner and cheaper. It is not traveled on by the trailer so strength was not an issue for the center blocks. I put 6 mil black plastic down before I installed the blocks to keep out grass and weeds.

Just one man's quick solution.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-02-2002, 01:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Parking Surface

Well, you asked for comments so here it goes...

Our parked MH is very visible from the front of our house. I didn't want a concrete parking area (a/k/a landing pad) because I thought it would look like a big parking lot with the driveway being right there.

We used railroad ties to hold in our leveling materials (gravel, sand, etc.) and topped the area with cypress mulch. We use the cypress mulch in our shrub beds as well.

It is working well for us. No washing away or any other problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lr landingpad.jpg
Views:	1236
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	773  
Old 11-02-2002, 01:43 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Mulch!

Edie,

Thanks ... that is what is was looking to do.
Yours looks great!

I will take pictures of my babies new home. I must admit it will be more picturesque than the driveway.

The new resting area is at the edge of a shade garden, close to flagstone paths and 3 ponds, 2 waterfalls, and a little stream. (all man made) and of course a bunch of Malibu lights.

It will be nice to sit in the camper and listen to the sound of the waterfalls.

Looking for the "silver" linning.

Dave
Old 11-03-2002, 06:00 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Action...

Quote:
The benefit is in resale value.
This is what really irks me about these developments. Everyone is concerned with "resale value". They seem to be more concerned with those moving away than those staying! These people that make up these rules are flaming a------s. I can prove this: In our county we have a township with NO ZONING! That's right, none, nada, zip. It is primarily Amish, but they keep their places neat as a pin. Sure there are lot's of small business intermingled in some neighborhoods, but it is kind of cool, and certainly convienent. You've got Amish selling chain saws, gift shops, butcher shops, etc. One Amish guy even has a shop selling solar panels, batteries, and LED light fixtures, another has a "mattress factory", but it all blends right in. Oh, and real estate resale value in this community? VERY HIGH. If you think you're going to Middlefield, Ohio and get a house or farm "for cheap", you are in for a real surprise!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:23 PM   #34
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Perception

Pick,

I should have stated - perceived - resale value. ----

So a committee is developed to construct "rules" that the committe of THEY believes will regulate common sense. --- In my view the committee (a HOA) is another layer of government with out much skill. Heck I am not real happy with the professional government, much less a practice government. And then the HOA is regulating common sense. Common sense is picked up at the ripe old age of 6. If ya don't get it in grade school, you are going to have issues in a lot of areas later in life.

Anyway I avoid as much government as possible. And I will never live in an area that has a HOA.

FYI, I live in the sixth largest city in this fine country. It was (as most major metropolitan cities) developed with some basic CC&R's and no HOA.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-04-2002, 12:49 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
THE Letter

It seems to me that among the member photos there is a picture of a coach in a garden-like setting. Could your area be landscaped with the *feel* of a "destination" such as a small retreat or guest nest. You could open the awning and entertain! It would be attractive for your personal view and make a nice . . . . um . . . . non - office.
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:52 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Won't you be my neighbor?

I just told my next door neighbor that they would be seeing my trailer in the "Approved area" of my backyard. Started with the wife.... she was none to happy and went and got her husband
saying "you need to discuss this with him"....

Fearing the worst ... I was pleasantly suprised when he got a gleam in his eye and said "thats an Airstream isn't it" .....

They are going to somewhat begrudgingly accept its presence...

The story will continue ......

DMC
Old 11-08-2002, 09:58 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Look Ma !! There's a camper in our back yard!!

The fence is done ... the camper is moved ...

A picture of its new resting spot.

DMC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	790  
Old 11-08-2002, 10:02 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Nice Shine!

Nice polishing job there! Lookin good!

Jabba
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Looks Great

I'd be tempted to lay a stone paver patio alongside the trailer. In the summer you could set a few chairs and a picnic table on the patio. You'd always be on vacation!

I wish we had more space where we are, but our retaining wall is right ON the property line. That first step our of our MH is about 4 feed down!
Old 11-08-2002, 10:19 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Vacation at Home

You can see the of the little waterfalls between the tree and the butt of the camper.

Will sound nice.

DMC