Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2002, 07:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Airstreamcaravel,
I'm sure glad this worked out for you without having to raise the garage roof. This is really heaven... open the windows and listen to the waterfalls.

Edie G,
I agree with you on the cypress mulch. Wouldn't use anything else!

Pick,
One of these days, we'd love to ride up that way and meet you, dude. I'd love to see the area you live in! (but we're headin' south when we start full-timin')
Old 11-12-2002, 08:13 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Smile

In reference to landscaping ..... one photo I was thinking of is at the member photo site, "most popular images" - top row, center pic. I'll bet the "approved" site is lovely w/waterfalls etc. (hard to see) and must say the coach has that cute factor !
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:02 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Over the TOP

Suz,

did you see the rest of his pics? He lifted his A/S over the house to park it where it is .....

Gee, I just had to rip out bushes and put in gates.

I got away easy!

DMC

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...papass=&sort=1
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:57 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

More Over the top

WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	815  
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Here we go again!!

About a month ago ... got a certified letter from my friendly Village stating that "trailer is not on a hard dust free surface"
and "surounded on all four side by a denesly planted hedge or
masonery wall at least four feet but no more than six feet high"

I called the Village guy and said that I had complied with the prior
violation and would time and weather allowing comply with this.

A week and a half ago ... I received a citation ... tomorrow I go to
kanagaroo court.

For those of you who have tracked this saga wish me luck! I have invited the local press, and am planning a defense that would make Perry Mason proud. Hope I don't wind up in the slammer.... over my camper....

DMC
Old 04-10-2003, 09:49 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Good Luck!!

Have at 'em! It's amazing the hoops they'll make you jump through sometimes, especially when the money doesn't have to come from their own pockets!!! How did you get to the point of going to court?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:11 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

How did it get?

I'm thinking they are trying to make an example of me.

I have kept in touch and stated my intentions each step of the way.

There are still MULTIPLE violations through out the village ...
Trailers, work trailers, boats and the such still in driveways.

It should be an interesting day!

DMC
Old 04-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
How idiotic is that. If you have to surround it on all FOUR sides by a hedge or masonary wall, that in the front would have to be on rollers so you could move it back and forth to get the trailer out.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:18 AM   #49
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
dust proof surface

DMC,

I live in Phoenix proper. And while there is no HOA there are CC&R's that have been put into place since the 50's. (That's when my home was built) And since it is dry out here, we do have an air polution issue and a lot is due to dust.

So the regulation is that vechiles be parked on a dust proof surface. This has been deemed to be concrete, asphalt, and a certain kind of crushed rock. I approached the inspector and asked if I could do block. She wanted to see the block. She signed off on it after she looked at it. I bought them at a fencing company. It's amber in color and like 6" by 12" and 2" thick. I believe I paid .40 each and paved a short drive (2 tracks) and the parking spot by myself. It was easy. Quick. And realitively cheap. The blocks are strong enough to support the weight with out breaking. No permits needed and it is temporary, so if I move I can take the blocks up and have the ground go back to grass.

Just a suggestion for the dust proof surface.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

For what its worth

I just retained an attorney to join me at tomorrows procedings.

If nothing else, Im hoping that he will keep me out of the slammer for calling the Village officials "Bad" names in court.

I feel a little better knowing that I will have representation.

I will have my day in court! I just hope it doesn't lead to fines or imprisionment for having an Airstream

DMC
Old 04-10-2003, 06:06 PM   #51
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Talking

DMC,

If it comes down to imprisionment, ask 'em if you can do your time inside the Caravel! You never know may be you'll get those unfinished things done on the inside.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-10-2003, 07:59 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Had a new neighbor move in this past fall. First thing he did was call the city code enforcer about the three boats on "his" street.
I was given 24 hrs to move mine or be cited and they would tow it for me. So I pulled it around the block once a day and reparked it. This is legal as long as you move it at least once every 24 hrs.
Got tired of this, you can't fight city hall and win so I parked it off site with the AS.
I was recently told if the unit is hooked to a vehicle it is not parked.
It is now sitting in my driveway hooked up to my other seldom used truck and I'm waiting to see what happens.
We have other boats and trailers in the area but they only enforce the code if they receive a complaint.

Its things like this that cause hard feelings between neighbors

I wish you the best of luck..

Garry

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 09:09 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Just got back from court

Well, They gave me 60 days.

To comply with the surface and fencing ....

Could care less about other violators.

Glad I had an Attny with me.

Off to the village to get a permit for the fence.

Suburbs and airstreams seem to be Incompatible

TTFN

DMC
Old 04-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Very interesting thread indeed! There used to be a benefit to owning your own place. These days you almost need to maintain to please others and not yourself.

I live beside the pacific ocean and my Arogsy 28 enjoys being parked right next to my driveway.

I am curoius what they are going to do if you don't comply...sell your home? doubt it. I can say this there is no such place as dust free. As for the hedge try potted plants. They look good and can be moved if necessary for maintence of the yard.

Best wishes.

Darryl
Old 06-27-2003, 08:27 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

60 days is up..........

And I can't wait for your update. I am going through a situation with a boat. I live along a river and somebody cam up with the idea that boats, boat trailers, and campers cannot be parked in the front yard. When my little house was built, it was placed almost on the back and side boundaries. I have no back yard, no side yards but have over 100'X53' front yard. I have my boat and a popup that are in the front yard. This was never an issue when I bought, but now the area around be is being bought up by "upscale" people who want waterfront property.

I was very interested in this thread for that reason.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:53 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

What to do ... what to do ...

I am "hiding" it out at my father in laws house ... still in the village but surrounded by lotsa land and fewer neighbors. I hoping he
doesn't get "The Letter". After pulling my trailer out of the spot in my backyard, I decided it was NOT a good option due to the incline. I almost could get it out with my front wheel 2 wheel drive. It was not an experience it want to repeat.

To keep it here not only would I have to build the fence (even though my yard is surrounded by fence and bushes, build a pad,
but worst of all I would need to pile in 2 or three truck loads of dirt to bring it up to grade. Even Then it may not be "effectivily screened" I am out over $750 so far ... time to cut my losses
on trying to store it here.

And there are still SOB's and motor homes and work trailers and trucks, and boats all over the place.

You can't fight city hall.

Dave
Old 06-27-2003, 08:59 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I haven't even checked on my codes. My back yard is inaccessible because of the grade. I have a cargo trailer tucked up behind a couple red tips on one side of the house and the Caravanner sitting on the drive. I also have 2 trucks and a Honda on the drive.

Thankfully no HOA in my neighborhood and I'm on good terms with my most of my neighbors. Actually most of them I'm on great terms. The lady accross the street let me park the Airstream and the tow rig in her drive for a solid week while I had some trees removed and a roof installed. Rental on one side so no problems and neighbor on the otherside is a sweetheart and I help her out regularly.
The ones I'm not on good terms with I have plenty of stuff that I can hold over their heads and they know it. They are smart enough not to mess around.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

I had really hoped for a more upbeat conclusion. If this ordinance goes through here, I'll have to pay storage for two trailers year round, and unless I can find a farmer close by, I'm going to have to travel a bit. I couldn't ask relatives for help, because they all live on small lots and this ordinance would be town wide. I know there will be a public hearing on this and I guess I'll have to go one recuiting spree and get a lot of people to be vocal with my point of view.

My guess is that it will be a lot easier to keep the law from being passed that it will to change or repeal it later.

Thanx.........
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #59

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you belong to Good Sam they have a packet available that details how to fight parking restriction proposals. Its been used by lots of folks successfully to beat back the regulators.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:03 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Jack!

Im off to their site to see what help they maybe able to offer!

I understand the ordinance, I cant stomach the selective
enforcement.

What a bunch of dippty do! (Not the word I wanted to use)

Dave