Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Search for lien?

Hello,
I am considering purchasing a trailer with an open title. The seller seems very honest and upfront. However,I wanted to do some background checking first just to be safe. I want to make sure it isn't a)stolen somewhere along the line of owners or b)doesn't have any liens on it.
The title is from Indiana, I called their BMV(DMV)and also went online to their state website to try to find out some info. The registration process online and also to mail in request takes at least 2 weeks. I read on another forum post that some members here will do these searches as a courtesy. Does anyone already have access to search the Indiana BMV database?
Thanks!
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi shortcake. Even if someone had access to that data, might their job requirements prevent them from revealing it?

Have the seller fax or scan you a copy of the title. Let them mask the VIN if they want. At least in MN, a title will say if there is a lien holder (lending agency) involved.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
I have the VIN on a faxed copy. No liens show but I was just trying to do the right thing by checking as well as I could. I didn't know if someone at say, an RV dealership, had access to say Yay or Nay at least. Not sure of the legalities.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Laws very from state to state concerning trailer licensing and transfer of ownership. We purchased a vehicle in Texas and registered in Michigan (our home state) and ran into snags with the appropriate fees to do it. You can't be too careful. If you are buying the trailer out of state I imagine that you will go to that state to pickup the trailer before you give the owner any money. When you do the money transfer you should also start the ownership transfer process. You cannot legally transport the trailer over the road unless you have it loaded on another vehicle like a truck or trailer. Which means in order to move the trailer you will have to register it in your name in some way. The common procedure is to get a "driveaway permit" which is a temporary tag from Indiana to allow you to transport it to wherever you will eventually title it. You go to the local DMV or whatever they call the state vehicle license department to obtain this item. That is the time to actually give the seller the money; when you recieve a clear title, temporary or not, from the state. If the information the seller is giving you up to this point looks valid, your downside risk is a trip to Indiana from Texas to pickup the trailer and ascertain that the title is indeed without liens or encumberances.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Shortcake... I am from Indiana and on our titles the leinholder info is printed right on the title about half way down on the left. If the seller wants to sell the trailer they should allow you to see a copy of the title. It has a place on the right for the release of leins. If it had a lein the leinholder should have been signed off in this place.

jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
I took the plunge. It all seemed to work out okay. Went to a title company here with the title. It showed no liens. Should receive the new title in a couple of weeks.
:-)