Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Novato , CA
Registering an out of state '84 Airstream in CA

We just purchased an '84 Airstream in NM and are trying to get it hauled to CA. The seller has the clear title but no current registration. Has anyone tried to register an out of state trailer this year? Is it any different (hopefully easier) with covid? Can I just bring the title and purchase order to my local dmv and get plates same day then ship them overnight to the driver so he can haul it? My head is exploding! Help please!

Also we planned to bring it straight to storage. Is there are way to do the vin verification without taking it anywhere? Or is it completely unrealistic? I guess I'll still have to figure out a way to take for inspection...
COHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
My experience with CA dmv on a similar situation about 20 years ago is you will need to bring the trailer to DMV and so they can hopefully get some lazy butt idiot to not argue with you as they with me until I asked to talk to a supervisor....and go out to check the VIN which they are supposed to do. .

Bottom line I I think you will have to take it to DMV for an "inspection". And hopefully you have a better experience than I did.
With the current coven stuff going on I don't know what you should expect with the California DMV....not the most friendly in town from my past experience. Good luck!!!! They don't seem to like to get out from behind their desks.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There are also services that will verify a VIN. Google ‘VIN verification service’ to find a local one. I had one come out and verify the VIN whilst I had the trailer parked in an armrest that was not easy to get it in or out.

I did this a few years ago transferring the title from Washington State to California.

Just get a copy of the VIN verification form from the DMV website.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote