Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I used to invite folks to move to Fl.
No state income tax, no pp tax on RV's, etc.
But no more, too many northerners/Californians are moving here and bringing their ideas with them.
I can understand that. I am a Tarheel born but living in California for a woman and job. I can see what it is like here that differs vastly in the south. Can't go political here about California.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Florida Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I used to invite folks to move to Fl.
No state income tax, no pp tax on RV's, etc.
But no more, too many northerners/Californians are moving here and bringing their ideas with them.
Agree. Owned a home in Naples, Fl. for 24 years. Full time in Naples for 14 years. We have a brick/Mortar home in N.C since 2014 but retained our Florida residency for tax/registration advantages. We winter in Florida. Your absolutely correct about folks moving to Florida to escape states with high taxation and other oppressive policies yet continue to vote for the very folks that did that in there previous home state. Got to wonder........
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Holly Springs , North Carolina
NC Airstream tax

Our 2017 Airstream 30 foot international has a current yearly tax of $723.99.
Westcoast997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:28 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

These same rules sometimes apply to boats. People play the sort of "games" mentioned above to dodge registering in high tax states. (If you think the bill on your AS is exciting, just think what a boat valued at 10X your AS would be ...).

Some states have put in rules about how long you can be there (with your boat) before you owe tax on it. This makes some of the "dodge" games a bit more complex. I've never looked at how they worded the laws to see if they would apply to RV's as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
You sure about that in Ga??

I know that’s true for new cars or motor powered vehicles but don’t think so for TT’s. I had a long discussion about this with my county tag agent who really didn’t understand my question but at the end told me that property tax (advolorum) applies for travel trailers and boats and renews every year on your birthday along with the tag registration($20).

I live in Ga but am buying my new trailer in Fla. They collect the Ga sales tax up front but come my birthday In January, I will have to pay the yearly property tax on the Airstream which will be approx $1000 and will renew every year and be based on depreciated value. They did away with the yearly tax on new vehicles several years ago (you pay it up front now) but it still exists on travel trailers and boats. But if my RV was a motor home, then the tax would not apply yearly. ( go figure) Now if I’m wrong someone please tell me. I hope I am.

I too live in GA and have been paying around $1k in taxes for my 2018 AS as an annual birthday present (adv tax). I purchased my AS out of state and was told by my tag office that I didn’t owe any sales tax; Adv. tax would be assessed annually on my birth month. The past 3 years I’ve been paying around $1k on my birth month. Maybe it’s different based on the county you live in.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
We live in Delaware, there is no personal property tax, no sales tax and my property tax for 14 acres and 4000 square foot house is $2200.00per year.
I used to live in Virginia and never bought a new car to avoid the tax.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Williamsburg , Virginia
Property Tax Question

After almost 20 yrs of rv ownership we settled on a Montana LLC for registration. We paid a one time fee to have the LLC established and for the agency to walk our title over to the DMV and mail me the tag. I only pay for tag renewal each year plus a minor annual fee of $49 to have the LLC active. If you purchase a new vehicle or trailer you would title it in the LLC and also avoid sales tax. All of this is done online but the staff is always available by phone to answer questions. I have been absolutely pleased with their service. And we lived in SC for 20 plus years and the property tax is so much higher than what we pay to renew our tags in Montana.

All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC
SC RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Great feedback and discussion, thanks. As we all know, states need the tax revenue for the services we need or want, but want to be smart about a relo decision and not have any costly Oh Crap surprises. Moving from CA, almost every state in southeast seems like a good deal in terms of cost of living. Desiring to stay within a 1-4 hr drive from my mom in SC, DW did a small spreadsheet comparing NC, SC, GA, TN (east), and even FL. Using our finiancials, factored in income taxes, investment income and earnings taxes, real estate taxes, sales taxes, and maybe a couple other smaller items. FL was the least costly, as expected, but at the end of the day, the others were not that far apart. If ranking, TN would be next. Adding in the PPT will give us a better picture. May not change our next mailing address, but at least we will know what to expect. Thankful we have these options and decisions.
I see now why I don't recall seeing many big ticket coaches with SC, or VA plates.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #49

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mine is based on an assessed valuation of the asset. On my 17 year old 30' Classic slide out this years portion of my house hold bill is $182.00. It's assessed on 33 1/3% of the valuation. So the county figures my Airstream is worth $6450, and the value on third of that is $2150 times the base rate of $8.13 per $100 of value. License plate renewal is about $15 a year. I'm not sure what the county assessor is using for calculating the valuation other than for vehicles they state the October NADA valuation. Whether NADA calculates trailer values is unknown to me. They obviously are under valuing Airstreams greatly thank goodness.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelNew20 View Post
In GA one pays 100% of sales / property tax at time of purchase. License plate renewal is only ~$20.00 after that.
I know that’s true on motor vehicles but I’m being told that does not apply to travel trailers. You pay the property tax ( advolorum) every year on your birthday.
Again, I had this extensive conversation with a county tax agent. They said you pay sales tax only up front on a travel trailer. Not property tax.
Have you renewed your tag since you bought your trailer? When I used to own a boat they sent me a separate tax bill for it. Just like property tax.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
I too live in GA and have been paying around $1k in taxes for my 2018 AS as an annual birthday present (adv tax). I purchased my AS out of state and was told by my tag office that I didn’t owe any sales tax; Adv. tax would be assessed annually on my birth month. The past 3 years I’ve been paying around $1k on my birth month. Maybe it’s different based on the county you live in.
Interesting. I am buying my new trailer out of state too but they are collecting sales tax up front. Others have told me that they only pay a $20 tag renewal every year.

I can't see how it would be different per county though?
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #52
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
We live in N
Ga and pay about $300 a year on our 2004 Safari.
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Interesting. I am buying my new trailer out of state too but they are collecting sales tax up front. Others have told me that they only pay a $20 tag renewal every year.

I can't see how it would be different per county though?

Agreed, that’s quite a stretch for such a drastic difference per county. But I can tell you this for sure, I’m paying ad valorem taxes annually around $1k. I’d much rather pay $20!
Call your county tax assessor office and get the name of whomever you speak with for future reference.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmccorm View Post
We live in N

Ga and pay about $300 a year on our 2004 Safari.

Sounds like we both need to keep our ears open as it would be much better to pay $20.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
You sure about that in Ga??

I know that’s true for new cars or motor powered vehicles but don’t think so for TT’s. I had a long discussion about this with my county tag agent who really didn’t understand my question but at the end told me that property tax (advolorum) applies for travel trailers and boats and renews every year on your birthday along with the tag registration($20).

I live in Ga but am buying my new trailer in Fla. They collect the Ga sales tax up front but come my birthday In January, I will have to pay the yearly property tax on the Airstream which will be approx $1000 and will renew every year and be based on depreciated value. They did away with the yearly tax on new vehicles several years ago (you pay it up front now) but it still exists on travel trailers and boats. But if my RV was a motor home, then the tax would not apply yearly. ( go figure) Now if I’m wrong someone please tell me. I hope I am.

B- you are correct. I called and they said that it is not like a vehicle, it is more like a house. They also said they have a reciprocal agreement and not 100% of the sales tax will be sent to GA which could result in additional taxes on us from the state of GA the first year.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
NC property tax on our Airstream

I don't know how they determined value for property Tax here in NC,
but don't argue with them.
Our 1994 Airstream DP Land Yacht is taxed on $1800.00, = $46.00
Real Value is about 10X times that for this 115,000 mile garage kept
Land Yacht. (Not cousin Eddie's coach.)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We are new SC residents and need to get our 2005 trailer registered here (currently registered in GA). It is my understanding that you get your trailer treated as a second home as opposed to a vehicle. Then it is annually taxed based on the value as a home as opposed to a vehicle. It should be around half the cost depending on your county.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
My 1998 Airstream 31ft Excello was $41.72 paid May 2020. I'm in Greenville County, SC, its based as it depreciates each year. I went to the County assessor and had it declared a second home and got a break via that route. I bought it from couple in NC then retitled it here in 2011. Person at County office was very helpful. SC is very tax friendly for retired seniors, no tax on Social Security income, extra homestead exemption over 65 and other.
BTW gas is cheaper in SC than almost any where, of course we have crappier. roads. You get what you pay for.
Good Luck
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
In Michigan, we were able to buy a lifetime trailer license plate for $150.00. I think the dingbats in Lansing really screwed up their tax earning potential by selling lifetime plates instead of requiring yearly renewals, but their lunacy was our luck!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
For the North and South Carolina AS owners, how do your states calculate your annual taxes on your RV's? Online info is clear on initial sales purchase, but vague on annual taxes. Now retired, DW and I sold home in Northern CA in August and have been roaming around NC and SC for a home to be somewhat close to family in midlands SC. We did our homework on other taxes, but forgot about personal property taxes. Originally from VA, I remember having to pay high tax bills on cars and trucks, but have been away for many years and didn't have the high ticket toys. Thanks.
I'm in SC with a 2018 Interstate that I bought new. They base it on purchase price. Mine is $1700 per year. When I balked and asked about qualifying as a second home, they said "only if you take the wheels off and put it on blocks!" They also said that they do not automatically depreciate it. For a reassessment, I would need to get it appraised and bring that info in. I've paid it because overall total taxes less than Ohio. But I do have my sons name on title, so I could have it re-tagged in Ohio in his name and tags would be less than $100 per year. That's likely a future endeavor.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote