Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oracle , AZ
Funds transfer

I opened an account with the buyers bank. Then transferred all the money to my personal account, closed the account. All banking was online.
Photobill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
When we sold our 27' international we had a bank loan that needed to get paid off to clear the title. This was an out-of-state sale and that complicated things. I used my attorney.

He set up an escrow account (his office account) and he had to contact the bank that held the title. It also was in another state as the first bank sold the title to another bank. See, I told you it was complicated!

The gentleman who was buying the trailer was told he would have to wait for the title. He paid the funds into the escrow account ($78,000) and my attorney had to do some paperwork to allow the gentleman to take the trailer with him. Basically, he was "borrowing" the trailer so my insurance was still on the hook. He also had to buy insurance to cover the trip. He worked that out with his insurance company. Don't allow your trailer to leave without checking with your insurance man. When my bank was paid off, they could not produce the title for two weeks. The title was sent to my attorney and he forwarded it to the buyer. Whew!!!!

This type of transaction happens every day at a dealership and they are familiar with all this stuff. You can involve a dealer as another option. Of course, doing so may cost you some money.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 07:13 PM   #43

Currently Looking...
Grayslake , Illinois
Thank you for touching on the topic of a dealer, Tom & Dotty! I am new to the community. New Airstreamer, converting from a Sailer. My name is Stephanie and am purchasing a 1988 Excella 25’. As the buyer, how do I protect my self? I have had the trailer inspected by a third party. I have not seen her first hand. I want to make sure the trailer I was sold is what is received. What if I transfer 100% of the funds and I don’t receive what I was sold? As a buyer, do you transfer in phases? %Deposit/%Bulk Purchase/%transferred upon delivery and inspection. At that time, the title can be mailed and registration may take place? ��
L0veLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:52 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
We are going to try Venmo since both parties use it and it is under the max transaction. We will have to wait for the money to clear before accessing it, but should be safe.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Protecting yourself with a purchase

Was the inspector someone who knows Airstreams, restored an Airstream, and/or knows all the pitfalls? If not, then the inspection you receive may be just a surface look. Do you know all the pitfalls of buying a vintage trailer - hidden floor rot, frame rust that needs to be repaired, axles, tires, appliances, general leaks, etc. Do you have close up pictures, video, etc. I would never buy a trailer with plans to use it as is without inspecting it myself.

As a buyer and a seller of vintage trailers and Airstreams (bought and sold four, and have kept the fifth for now. ), it's been a deposit and then finally payment (sometimes just a check, cash, Ebay, or wire transfer). The buyer is given a bill of sale or I ask for one, then title if available signed over or mailed. It depends on what the seller is willing to do in terms of cash and paper work, in my mind. If you are not happy with the terms, don't buy the trailer. There are plenty out there and possibly near by.

Posting on one of the Facebook forums, Airstream restoration sites, with good pictures, can provide you with possible issues.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote