Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs down PA DOT- Ridiculous

We just got back our vanity plate application from the PA DOT. Apparently, PA does not issue vanity/special plates for trailers, classic or antique autos, buses, etc. Never read that anywhere on the website. These were supposed to be birthday presents from Lynn. She is awesome by the way.

So let's see...here are people willing and excited to pay the PA DOT $40 for two vanity plates (JST ENUF for the Scotty and BAMBI II for the Airstream), and they do not want our money. Can't bring themselves to bang those little pieces of aluminum out for a trailer.

Wonder how much moaning and complaining this same DOT will make in winter time when they can't afford plow drivers or salt for the roads to eat our cars. What a joke!!

Ben
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have an opposite issue here in AZ. We CAN get vanity plates for trailers (which is great)...but they send us TWO...for a trailer! Seems like a waste of state funds. They also send two for autos, even though we are only required to have a license plate on the rear of a car. Go figure. Seems it would be more cost effective for the state (and an additional source of revenue in these tight times) to have an OPTION to request two plates if you want the extra one. Duh.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have an opposite issue here in AZ. We CAN get vanity plates for trailers (which is great)...but they send us TWO...for a trailer! Seems like a waste of state funds.
Maybe they should give me the extra!! This is a bozo state- Dad complained about it all the time while I was growing up, but until one experiences the bureaucracy for himself, it makes less sense.

Ben
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yesterday I went down to the Jackson County, Mississippi tax collectors office to get the tag for my new to me 1964 Bambi II. I also was surprised to find out that I could not get a personalized tag for it. I have never even considered a so called vanity tag for any of my cars but I thought the Bambi II deserved one. O'well guess I will just have to settle for a custom tag frame.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Personalized plates

Here in Virginia, vanity plates are actually a major source of revenue for the state. When I titled my 85 Limited I purchased what is called a "Permanent Trailer Plate"......pay a one time fee and no fees in the future (has no yearly tag on it). I asked the lady waiting on me at the DMV if I could get a personalized version. Her response was that they had never had a request for one but did not see why not......processed the application and got my vanity plate.........50thANV.......bought the AS for our 50th wedding anniversary. Thought that was pretty cool. Probably don't need the "if this trailer's rockin', don't come a knockin" bumper sticker though.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Dad complained about it all the time while I was growing up, but until one experiences the bureaucracy for himself, it makes less sense.
Ever try to get a building permit?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
You have the option of moving to .....
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
1975 31' Excella 500
Sanford , North Carolina
Ben, sorry to hear you cannot get them in Pa.

We hit it lucky here in N.C. and got "61 BAMBI". Our Bambi has no axle under it but it does have a license plate.

Ralph
75Excella500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here in Ontario, they sell them for automobiles, but strangely, not for trailers!

Go fiqure!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote