Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Out of state title help

Hello,

Im considering purchasing an airstream in northern CA, and i live in phoenix AZ. The seller has a lot and sells many trailers (claims he got close to 30). I asked him if it had a clear title and he said he thought it did but couldnt remember as it was his son that purchsed it. He called this son and his son said he had lien papers but no title. Sounds like its a faterh and 2 sons that sell used travel trailers on the side.

How would i go about getting a title and registering the vehicle and what steps need to be made to get temp permits etc if i need? i have never purchased anything used more then 10 miels away and they always had a clear title.

Thanks for the help!
IceCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi IceCactus,
I bought an Airstream a few years back that came with a Bill of Sale - no title. I used Broadway Title in Georgia (they have an ad in Hemmings) to get a title for the trailer. Pennsylvania requires a title for any transfer and won't honor a bill of sale only. Check with your State to see they will accept a bill of sale. some do depending on the age of the vehicle. I think the Broadway title process cost a couple hundred bucks and I ended up with a title from New York I think (or Maine) which was accepted by the DMV here. Had a PA title within a few weeks. Good luck!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCactus
Hello,

Im considering purchasing an airstream in northern CA, and i live in phoenix AZ. The seller has a lot and sells many trailers (claims he got close to 30). I asked him if it had a clear title and he said he thought it did but couldnt remember as it was his son that purchsed it. He called this son and his son said he had lien papers but no title. Sounds like its a faterh and 2 sons that sell used travel trailers on the side.

How would i go about getting a title and registering the vehicle and what steps need to be made to get temp permits etc if i need? i have never purchased anything used more then 10 miels away and they always had a clear title.

Thanks for the help!
Lien papers? Sounds like the title isn't clear at all. The finance company holds the title until the balance is paid off, just like financing a car or truck. If they don't have a clear title, I'd keep looking for another rig, or at least make the seller get a proper title before you buy it.

Speaking of titles... When we bought our Argosy last week, I was given the Florida title from the last owner (the seller never did anything with the title after the owner signed off on it). When I went to NJ DMV to register and title it, I was given a registration but no title because the Florida title said that the empty weight was 2000 and NJ doesn't title trailers under 2500 pounds. I was told I could sell it under a notorized bill of sale when the time came (not that it's going to happen anytime soon).

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I agree with Bob, it sounds like the trailer has a loan against it. Ask them to fax you a copy of their paperwork. California title is on a letter size page with multiple colors down the page. Also, have them fax you a copy of the license plate with a current renewal sticker.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Ok, seller left me a voicemail today and he says he has 8 pages of paper work and called it a lien sale and he bought it from a property management company (lien holder) and says its all signed off. I think i am going to have him fax it over to me, but does this sound legit or should i just request him to go get the CA title.
IceCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCactus
Ok, seller left me a voicemail today and he says he has 8 pages of paper work and called it a lien sale and he bought it from a property management company. I think i am going to have him fax it over to me, but does this sound legit or should i just request him to go get the CA title.
IceCactus,

Now it sounds like he obtained title through a default by the prior owner and for lack of a better word "foreclosed" on the trailer. Take the paperwork to your DMV or AAA office and see what else you will need.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote