Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Mesa,AZ dealer has to collect the sales tax for the state of Arizona, Maricopa County and the city of Mesa. If you push really hard, you can get the Certificate of Origin (the title from the factory to the selling dealership) to preclude the dealer titling and plating in Arizona. I did not want to pay the extortion insurance rates in AZ for lower coverage. My Indiana carrier will not insure a vehicle with permanent non-Indiana title and registration (the temporary plates do not hinder getting coverage).

I went to the Indiana BMV with the VIN inspection form signed by a police officer in Mesa and concluded the paperwork with credit for all the sales taxes paid in AZ.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
If you buy a car at the January collector car auctions in Scottsdale, no sales tax if it is loaded on a transporter without leaving the premises.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
They bend over backwards to make special deals for the big boys in the area, saying that the money they bring in to the community is more than the loss from things like the sales tax. Just like the tax and other concessions made for various sporting stadiums all over the country.

But, good luck in getting a car or RV out of a local AZ dealership without paying full state and local sales tax.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I didn't think they could tax you on a vehicle purchase if it was an
A few states have changed their regulations on that in recent years.

Currently looking to buy a trailer out of Calf. or Arizona to bring North to register, in both states I will need to have someone tow the trailer out of the selling state so I can avoid paying tax on it in that state and only pay in the place where i live and it will be registered.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Interesting info:

https://www.azdor.gov/business/trans...iclesales.aspx
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Bottom line for me:

1. Glad I am an engineer, not a lawyer or lawmaker, or government official after trying to read that AZ worksheet form.

2. Each state has different rules, regulations, and laws regarding things like titles, missing titles, proof of ownership, transfers, and taxes relative to other states. There is no one answer fits all situations on questions such as the original poster asked. Lets see, 50 states dealing with 50 other states, how many possible combinations exist... my head hurts. Big grin.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Out of state purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Since we're talking taxes here I traded my truck on a new one while traveling west in August. We were visiting in Kansas and made the trade at a dealer local to where we were visiting. Kansas provides a 30 day temporary tag for transit but the dealer did me a favor and mistakenly ( ahem) gave me a 60 day since we were continuing our trip westward. Kansas also has a 10% sales tax that they did not charge me since we were taking it out of Kansas. Our temp tag expired while in New Mexico so I put our own tags on it for the remainder of the trip with hopes that any police encounters would work itself out in our favor. Fortunately did not have to try that one out. Once at home we also have a time limit for registration but the DMV people did not ask and I didn't tell. I did ask about the sales tax. Specifically IF Kansas had hit me for the 10% would NJ refund the difference of 3 % ??? All I got was a laugh on that one so I can assume a NO. So in the end all worked out well.

You are better off with NO TAGS (or an expired temp) than "fictitious plates".

No tags you might have talked your way out of a no reg ticket that probably would not have been a huge fine, (because it is a trailer).

A fictitious plates ticket, probably not so much.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Bought mine in Tennessee , wrote a check, got a title and came back to Montana, we have no sales tax here, bought permanent plates.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiatt55 View Post
I went the route of an LLC in Montana.....

So far 2 trucks and 2 Airstreams....

Sales tax $0

Priceless.

Of course difficult, not impossible, to finance purchaseS held in an LLC.
I believe those llc deals in Montana are illegal in some states where they will check registrations and licenses on rvs in driveways, etc. be careful. It's considered fraud and tax evasion.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The possible combinations is a number created by multiplying each number by the next number down so the answer might approach the national debt number:

50 x 40 x 48 x 47 ...............x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote