Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
new purchase - Silver Streak Title

Hi all. Looking at a Silver Streak that has a Texas title, is located (and will be purchased from Oklahoma), and will reside in Colorado.

When I go to register, will I treat it as just coming from Texas? Registering a trailer here in CO seems fun.

This past fall, we purchased a vehicle from Houston and upon registering here in CO, the taxes were so much! But apparently Texas doesn't charge tax upon purchase if immediately going out of state. Is that also true of trailers for Colorado?

BTW, this will be my first trailer purchase. I inherited a small home built utility trailer in Texas but this is much different.

Also trying to figure out insurance for it.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Each state is different and taxes will depend on reciprocal agreements between the states. I would think that Colorado would want to see the Texas title and wouldn't care where you bought it, since it was never registered in Oklahoma.

I bought ours in Tennessee and brought it back to Kentucky. I gave them the Tennessee title and then had to arrange for a "mobile home inspection", where the inspector met me at the storage lot, checked a lot of stuff, gave me a receipt and nifty sticker for passing the inspection, and I took that back to the title office and got a Kentucky title. I didn't pay any tax at that point because it was 'used' but did have to pay at the next renewal.

So call your Colorado vehicle registration office and ask them.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
You'd be a lot better off asking your county DMV office. That way you get facts instead of expert opinions. They can also tell you their exact document requirements.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Ask your DMV, but typically you will either have to pay, or show that you have paid sales tax in an amount equivalent to Colorado's. If you are purchasing from a dealer in OK, you may, or may not, have to pay OK sales tax. If it is less than CO's rate, you will probably end up paying the difference when you register it. TX title has nothing to do with it. If you are purchasing from an individual in OK you probably will not have to pay sales tax there, but you will when you register it in CO. I'd be surprised if you end up paying any less sales tax that what CO prescribes.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
You will enjoy the Silver Streak. We have a ‘73, 27ft twin. Well built. Mouse proof from the factory.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
So True

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
You'd be a lot better off asking your county DMV office. That way you get facts instead of expert opinions. They can also tell you their exact document requirements.
I purchased mine in CO and as very surprised they charged my AR state tax
when I picked it up. I had to pay local and city tax once I
went to register it.
"Taxes are kind of like death.... hard to avoid"
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
made a call

So I made a call to my local authorities. Looks like I'll be paying sales tax in CO, which she quoted me is at 7.25%. Along with that to register, I'll need a VIN inspection, the Texas title (with weight listed to avoid the need to get a weight slip from say CAT scales or whoever), the purchase price and date of sale, and a bill of sale. She said the price, since it's over 10 years old, will be between $150 and $200 as determined by the weight, age, and value (which she said is determined by sales price--but she seemed unsure about that) to register

So, yeah. More taxes to the state of Colorado. We just purchased a "new" van from Texas in November and registered it and it was over $1200! Moving is expensive for this teacher!!!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkennedy View Post
You will enjoy the Silver Streak. We have a ‘73, 27ft twin. Well built. Mouse proof from the factory.
Sweet! Thanks! Where on your trailer is the VIN? is it the Serial Number by the door? I'm sure I'll have to match it to the title.