Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
China , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9
Lost title in Michigan

I just recently purchased a 1972 20ft Argosy and 2 PO's ago the title and keys were lost. The vin tag is still in place but from what I understand you have to track down the previous titled owner or their Assigned Agent who has to supply ID photo copies. But I've also seen something on Secretary of State website that says you can get a bill of sale and get it weighed and then get a title. Has anybody experienced this? What is the best way? Should I go back and get an official bill of sale and get it weighed first? I'd really like to try and enjoy whats left of the fall Michigan colors
Kupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
China , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9
This is just for anybody else's future reference. So I just got back from Sect. o State in Kalamazoo, MI and I don't know if I did or didn't do the right thing but I was able to get my title this way. I guess if anything is older than 6yrs. old and under $2,500 in value (I paid less than that but from what I've seen in the forums value is subjective) than all they have to do is run your vin number through the NCIC and either you have to have the trailer weighed by the State Police Weighmaster or you can do what I did which was take the vin plate off the trailer (my Argosy had it screwed into the body) and since that has the number and weight on it you should be good to go. I was pretty surprised that it was $120 to register it and that it's going to be another $200 for the trailer plate, but I do plan on having this thing for awhile and since they were able to do instant title for me all I have to do is show back up at the Secretary of State with cash and I can go and enjoy Northern Michigan colors next weekend.
Kupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master
wheel interested's Avatar
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,049
Besides the 200 dollars each time you change trailers you have to pay the registration which is on the full value and not just the difference. If you do much trading it is much more expensive in Michigan than other states. Most states only charge the difference in value between trailers and not the full amount to register the model traded to.

Congratulations and enjoy the colors. They are super around here. I love fall. Hoping to catch more of it as I travel South next week.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Michigan Scoutens Member Introductions 4 06-29-2010 04:25 AM
saying hello from Michigan Max Bauer Member Introductions 8 08-10-2009 11:26 PM
new from michigan dean tighe Member Introductions 11 09-11-2007 10:35 PM
Obtaining a lost title KBREEDLOVERN Title, VIN & Registration 6 05-12-2006 07:51 PM
In SC, lost title Ilghad Title, VIN & Registration 2 01-14-2006 07:48 AM

Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.