Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Oakland , California
Legal requirements transporting my new 76 Sovereign from Indiana to Ca.

Hi, I'm a new Airstream owner, I purchased my trailer on eBay and need to haul it to California without the "help"of all those states governments twixt there and here. What don't I know? Do I need the title which is still with the seller? Do I need to deal with every state along the way? Should I get a temporary permit from Indiana or California? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Stvgbbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If it has current tabs for Indiana, then all you really need from a title standpoint is the current title signed over to you, and a bill of sale. Notarized would probably be helpful in case you do get stopped for some reason.

If the tabs are not current, the easiest thing I think would be to have the current owner renew the tabs before you take possession. That’s what we did before hauling our new to us airstream from Alabama to Minn last year.

Once you get home, then work on getting a valid title in California. A call to the DMV before you go pick up the trailer might be prudent to see if they have special documentation requirements. Easier to get what you need before you head to the DMV the first time. Other CA Streamers on the forums can probably offer specific advice for you.

From a towing standpoint, most states require a breakaway switch if the trailer has electric brakes (I think all AS’s have one). Some states also require towing mirrors. Those laws vary from state to state, and enforcement tends to vary as well from what we’ve seen over the years.

Good luck and safe travels!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Upon return to California after a purchase of a new trailer in Oregon, I had to bring the trailer to DMV for a VIN inspection, show proof of ownership (and traceable title) and pay the fees. In my case, the title docs were the bill of sale plus certificate of origin from the manufacturer; in your case it would probably be the current pink slip and bill of sale. The DMV inspector wanted to see the VIN in two different places on the trailer; the manufacturer's label was good enough for one; the VIN etched into the tongue satisfied the other.

The hardest part was finding a DMV which had sufficient parking space for the trailer! Google Maps came in really handy for that!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Upon return to California after a purchase of a new trailer in Oregon, I had to bring the trailer to DMV for a VIN inspection,
The hardest part was finding a DMV which had sufficient parking space for the trailer! Google Maps came in really handy for that!
Hi, I also bought my trailer in Oregon. And I had a hard enough time to park my Lincoln in the DMV parking lot, yet alone bring my trailer. There was no street parking allowed and no-way to park in their parking lot without blocking a dozen cars for over an hour. You know how that would go over. I had a Lakewood Sheriff inspect my trailer at my house. [VIN verification]

If the license is up to date, you have insurance, and proof of ownership, then just tow it home and then deal with DMV.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I bought our Argosy in Virginia, just had a signed title, no tags, towed through 4 states passed by 3 highway patrol and came across the Canadian border with no problems. No telling what would happen if you tried that in CA.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Legal requirements transporting my new 76 Sovereign from Indiana to Ca.

Greetings Stvgbbs:

Welcome to the Forums!

When I purchased my Minuet from its owner in Indiana, it was comparatively easy to get a legal temporary tag from the Indiana Department of Motor Vehicles. The coach's owner accompanied me to the local office with title and bill of sale in hand; and a very short time later (about 15 minutes) I had a two-week temporary transport tag for the coach. I felt more comfortable with this method because I had the obvious proof that ownership of the trailer was being legally transferred to me.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Oakland , California
Smile

Thankyou all for your timely advice. I think I got what I needed.
Stvgbbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, sales tax, transportation