Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

San Francisco , California
Importing new airstream to Australia

Hello everyone
Can anyone guide me on the process of importing and meeting the Australian specifications of a new airstream (I’m looking at a 23ft globetrotter) and the costs involved thankyou
Myottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myottd View Post
Hello everyone
Can anyone guide me on the process of importing and meeting the Australian specifications of a new airstream (I’m looking at a 23ft globetrotter) and the costs involved thankyou
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sorry no actual help here, just a smart alicky response like. External sprinkler system and fire proof tires.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You can't......

Airstream will not build an Australian version with 230 volt.

Your only option would be to either import just a shell and outfit it in Australia to Australian code, OR import a US 120 volt version and use step down converters to control voltage. You would have to contact your customs to see if they would allow a 120 volt trailer into the country.....I highly doubt it.
Remember to buy any 120 volt appliances you wish to use, when you buy the trailer for use in Australia.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
The European models are wired for 230 volts. Other differences as well which may or may not work in Australia. Can't help you with import issues.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1951 18' Clipper
1965 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Ballarat, Victoria , Australia
They are sold here in Australia, it wouldn't be practical to import a new one.
Earlier models are ok as they're exempt from the ADR rules due to being built before the rules were introduced.
They are almost USD $100K here.....
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
If you just dry camp and avoid shore power I don't see why you could not leave the wiring "as is" you could also import a generator or use a transformer at the inlet site for power. I would contact the Austrailian Consulate. And if an old one squeeks under the radar of modern regulations that could be your anwer rith there.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
KORUMBURRA , Victoria
Insurance companies policies have recently changed and they will no longer insure imported Airstreams because it is so difficult to get parts. You can insure the Australian version of course and if your airstream is already insured in Australia, they will honor that policy. The only way is if you've bought one through a dealer here or Shannons will possibly insure it if you have a classic (vintage) car insured with them. I know this because I had to jump through hoops to get my new airstream insured with Shannons last week (June 2020) even though the seller already had it insured with them! It was a nightmare. I think it will end our chances of owning an airstream in Australia. Unless someone knows of another insurer who will take them on?
AustBambi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Tanunda , SA
Rivet We’ve an OEM-for-Oz AS Int’l 18’ (AKA Sport 22’)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You can't......

Airstream will not build an Australian version with 230 volt.

Your only option would be to either import just a shell and outfit it in Australia to Australian code, OR import a US 120 volt version and use step down converters to control voltage. You would have to contact your customs to see if they would allow a 120 volt trailer into the country.....I highly doubt it.
Remember to buy any 120 volt appliances you wish to use, when you buy the trailer for use in Australia.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Actually, Airstream did.