Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Exclamation help with Idaho DMV

In Washington State, but purchased our 66 overlander with no title from a forum member, with a notarized bill of sale, he too was in Washington. I can use that notarized bill of sale in this state to register the vehicle and after 3 years they will issue a title. The thing is, we're not sure we'll ultimately keep it 3 years. Our plan is probably to fix it up then sell it since the market here for restored airstreams is supporting prices far higher than what it will cost to rebuild it.

My problem is the WBCCI numbers go back to former (and perhaps deceased) members that seem to have lived their entire lives in Oregon, however the plate on the trailer (with rusted on bolts) is an idaho plate first licensed in 1983 and last in 1993. Inside the trailer is an older idaho trailer plate licensed up to 1982, so presumably the original plate in that state. Funny thing is the WBCCI #'s weren't in that bad of shape so I'd figured they were recent, but it appears not.

I called the Idaho DMV and they only have records on their computer system (or the 2-3 operators I spoke to over several days only had access to) for 10 years and plates are only kept on the record for 7 years before they are replaced, so neither the plate number or vin comes up in their computer. Oregon has no record of the VIN nor does Washington State.

I was hoping someone might have a connection with someone who is good at researching title records in the Idaho DMV so I could hopefully find the last registered owner before it sat in Prosser Washington for awhile and have them help me apply for a lost Idaho title, then transfer it to Washington.

Thanks
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
sorry to bump my own thread up, but hoping doing it once might get someone to see it that could help. Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Could you maybe sell it the same way you got it...??

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
yes and no, we want to make it a really nice rig, which means putting some bucks into it. I'm guessing when its done it would be in the 10k range, and that might be difficult to sell with just a "registration only, title pending". Maybe not too, but either way the process is more expensive and lengthy including inspections etc to apply for a new title.

I just hope to find someone with a connection to a really nice person at the Idaho DMV that likes a challenge.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
yes and no, we want to make it a really nice rig, which means putting some bucks into it. I'm guessing when its done it would be in the 10k range, and that might be difficult to sell with just a "registration only, title pending". Maybe not too, but either way the process is more expensive and lengthy including inspections etc to apply for a new title.

I just hope to find someone with a connection to a really nice person at the Idaho DMV that likes a challenge.

I ran into a similiar issue when trying to trace the owner on an abandoned AS here in Washington - it has a plate and VIN we tried to run (law enforcement connection) but they do not keep records beyond a certain timeframe (I don't remember how long, but it wasn't long enough to find the owner of this one). I would imagine that Idaho is the same way - it's not that they don't have access, it's just there are NO records left Good luck in your quest.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
GP if they don't keep records that far, then why the 3 year wait? What did you end up doing about the registration/title?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
GP if they don't keep records that far, then why the 3 year wait? What did you end up doing about the registration/title?
The 3 year wait is to allow the "real" owner to claim his/her property. (In case it was stolen or otherwise illegally taken from the rightful owner) If they don't track you down and claim it within that timeframe, Washington then issues you a new title and the prior owner no longer has any rights or remedies available to them. If someone was able to produce a title or registration within the 3 year period they could potentially claim it from you.

I ended up tracking down the name and address of the land owner through county tax records but didn't bother following thru on it. The AS was in poor shape, not really worth restoring, just parts harvesting. It wouldn't even be a good candidate for chopping and making a shorter trailer, as both endcaps were dented. I probably should still try and follow thru and strip it down and sell it for scrap - maybe make a little $$ in the process.

You can see it in the "Found Homeless" thread.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks, well NWOverlander is checking his records between his old house and new house (he's in the process of moving) and seeing if he has the name/address of the guy who brought it to Washington State (the guy who actually purchased it in Idaho). My hope is if Dave finds that name, maybe, just maybe those people know who in Idaho they bought it from and I can track them down. If Idaho doesn't have record of the title, then I'm not sure how this helps me, unless that person physically has the title (doubtful). It's a long shot at best.

I haven't found any evidence of Washington doing bonds for immediate titles like some other states seem to.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
I haven't found any evidence of Washington doing bonds for immediate titles like some other states seem to.
I know there are companies that offer something like that, but I believe if you look into the fine print I think those titles are "conditional" also. The company is the one who puts up a bond with the state. - But I'm not speaking from experience or any first hand knowledge. There are probably some forum members who have gone that route and maybe they'll chime in...
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Has anyone used Broadway title company? They claim:

We Provideyou with a Letter of Title Law from the State, a Certificate of Registration and a Notarized Bill of Sale. This is everything you will need to transfer the Vehicle into your name in your state.

Basically it looks like you sign a contract with them, they in turn "purchase" yhe vehicle from you, register in their state then "sell" it back to you with the paperwork above. Searched the web and it appears to be done a lot with hot rods.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Update:

I did a considerable amount of research, phone calls, emails, contacted the local BBB in Alabama and searched a number of blogs, reviews etc and we're going to proceed with Broadway Title.

They mailed paperwork to us, what we do is an extensive stack of paper that has to all be notarized then mailed back. They in turn license and register the trailer in Alabama (which doesn't require a title to sell/buy, just a bill of sale). In turn, they then transfer ownership back to us, and we have a current Alabama title and registration to then transfer to Washington State.

I talked with a handful of hotrodders that have worked with the company and all had nothing but great things to say. I'll report back on how the process goes.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Do you need a title?

Does the state of Washington require a title? In New Hampshire you don't need a title for anything that is more than 15 years old. Since you bought it without a title and they are willing to register it without a title - it might be that it's not needed - just a thought that you might explore - good luck.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
yeah in Washington you have to have a title. They will register it, but you have to wait 3 years before they will issue a title. I'd rather have it titled up front, even though the cost is higher. That way when we sell it later down the road its all clear and ready to go.

Washington doesn't seem to have the loop holes in the years or weight areas like some states have.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Update:

I did extensive research, including a search through a law inforcement friend, filing out paperwork and contacting every state around us to confirm it was no longer in their system and talking with previous owners (including the one I had a notarized bill of sale from). I talked with several hot rod guys and they steared me to broadwaytitle.com who helps with a lot of vintage vehicles with missing/lost titles.

I filled out paperwork a week ago Friday, and today received a express mail package with all the necessary paperwork to file for registration and title here. Went to the DMV, everything was input into the computer system, and plates/registration were issued and title will be in the mail in a couple weeks.

It wasn't cheap, about $350.00 plus what it cost me at the DMV. Just thought I'd share Flemming there was outstanding, loved vintage trailers and even had a lead on a 65 Safari in Alabama if anyone is looking...