Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
HELP Title Problems

I bought a 1979 23 foot Airstream Safari I was told it was fine to purchase it on a bill of sale, I now want to get the Title the original owner has no idea where the Title is but the trailer was first registered in Georgia the trailer is now in Miami with me. I have been to 4 Title offices and no one can help me or give any advice my area is very Hispanic and no one seems to know how to get the Title. Is it true I cannot put the trailer on the road without a Title, can anyone advise me on how to get the Title without going through a Lawyer and being charged hefty fees!!

Thanks

Jon
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You need to go back to the Title office here in Florida and ask for an Affidavit of lost title for a replacement title. The original owners/title holder will need to fill it out. It's the one form you cannot get online to fill out, they have to give it to you at the title office.

If this vehicle was titled in Georgia and you do not have a Georgia title, do no bother with Florida DMV until you have a Georgia title.

It is a complete mistake to buy a vehicle without title in a state that won't title without them.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Sorry, but whoever told you a 'Bill of Sale' was okay, was wrong. Without the Title you don't legally own the Airstream.

With that said, there are places online that will do a lost title in another state which you can then take to Florida to transfer to your name.

Sorry, but either way it's going to be a pain.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
HELP Title Problems

I know it was true, and still may be that a bill of sale on a trailer is OK in Georgia...

So the seller probably didn't outright lie...

No telling how you can address this in Fla., but since the states share a border I would imagine there are policies in place to deal with situations like yours.

The seller will be able to get a duplicate Georgia title if it was ever titled....

If not, there are "title services" that may be able to help you, ironically, most all of them are based in Georgia because of the "favorable" bill of sale laws.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I believe that Georgia is a State which does not require a title on vehicles over a certain age. If your Airstream is in that age bracket get a notarized Bill of Sale . You write up a letter explaining the Georgia Law and sign it (notarized.) Now go back to one of those offices and try again....if you can't convince them with facts, baffle them with BS. Don't ever go into long explanations or add inf to their thought process.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
On the Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I believe that Georgia is a State which does not require a title on vehicles over a certain age. If your Airstream is in that age bracket get a notarized Bill of Sale . You write up a letter explaining the Georgia Law and sign it (notarized.) Now go back to one of those offices and try again....if you can't convince them with facts, baffle them with BS. Don't ever go into long explanations or add inf to their thought process.
Florida will not buy that. No Title, no Tag or transfer. If the seller in Florida does not have a title, do not buy
Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Yup, Florida is going to tell you, title made out to you, or no deal. Don't expect any help from Florida DMV, already went thru my own title problem.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
HELP Title Problems

Original owner will have to request a duplicate title in his name or a title issued in the state of Georgia.They should issue a title on request even if they are a state the does not require a title on older trailers.
I would start by calling the Georgia DMV and explaining the situation.This has happened before and I am sure that you are not the first to have this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
May have to go the bonded title route.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I have not done this in Georgia, but there is one other legal way you could get a title to this, and that is with a mechanics lien. Georgia Lien Law Summary - State Laws - Construction Liens
Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I ran the tags of a potential AS buy through a friend at the Arkansas State Police. Tags and VIN and owner of the AS did not match. I would run the VIN and the license plate through the local police as a starting point. The can give you the current owners name, and the state in which it is registered. From that point you can clean up the title mess. Pass the Rolaids my way.... Hope you get it fixed fast and easy.
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I ran the tags of a potential AS buy through a friend at the Arkansas State Police. Tags and VIN and owner of the AS did not match. I would run the VIN and the license plate through the local police as a starting point. The can give you the current owners name, and the state in which it is registered. From that point you can clean up the title mess. Pass the Rolaids my way.... Hope you get it fixed fast and easy.
Clayton
Do you have to have a friend, or will they run the VIN for you?

1973 Sovereign 31'
BAMAjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
In our state you can submit a request to the Property Valuation Administrator for a vehicle's plate number to find the owner. I don't know what other information you can get from that, but I know the VIN was part of the information. I used to work for the PVA many moons ago. You should call your PVA or DMV to find out what options you have.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #14
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAjen View Post
Do you have to have a friend, or will they run the VIN for you?
I've have good friends with the State Police and Garland County S.O. Although they can provide such a service, you don't need someone on the "inside" to get it done. You can call the Pulaski Co S.O., State Police or DFA and get the info you need. It may work out better if you go in person. You should be able to get the last registered owners name and address.
Our DFA folks are variable in their willingness to assist, it seems like most of them don't like their job to begin with.
If you hit a wall with getting the info, PM me what you have and I will see what I can do.
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I've have good friends with the State Police and Garland County S.O. Although they can provide such a service, you don't need someone on the "inside" to get it done. You can call the Pulaski Co S.O., State Police or DFA and get the info you need. It may work out better if you go in person. You should be able to get the last registered owners name and address.
Our DFA folks are variable in their willingness to assist, it seems like most of them don't like their job to begin with.
If you hit a wall with getting the info, PM me what you have and I will see what I can do.
Clayton
The DFA here seem to be put out when asked questions that seem to be outside the norm. I plan on going to the main office downtown tomorrow and maybe I'll be able to talk to someone with a bit more knowledge! I'll let you know if I hit a wall.

1973 Sovereign 31'
BAMAjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyregis View Post
I bought a 1979 23 foot Airstream Safari I was told it was fine to purchase it on a bill of sale, I now want to get the Title the original owner has no idea where the Title is but the trailer was first registered in Georgia the trailer is now in Miami with me. I have been to 4 Title offices and no one can help me or give any advice my area is very Hispanic and no one seems to know how to get the Title. Is it true I cannot put the trailer on the road without a Title, can anyone advise me on how to get the Title without going through a Lawyer and being charged hefty fees!!

Thanks

Jon
This is a link to the website that will tell you what you need to know.
https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/car-registration.php

Fill out these forms and take them to your local tax collector (not dmv), along with your Florida drivers license and proof of insurance for your tow vehicle.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82042.pdf
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82040.pdf
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83330.pdf
With these, you might be able to get a provisional title. There is a waiting period until you get a permanent title.

Good luck
Old 08-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #17
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyregis View Post
I have been to 4 Title offices and no one can help me or give any advice my area is very Hispanic and no one seems to know how to get the Title.
Jon
What does "very Hispanic" have to do with your problem?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote