Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

1973 Argosy 24
rogersville , Alabama
Question Have no title or vin

ok so i just got a argosy, but the problem is i have no idea what make, modle, year, i dont know the vin number theres no title i have nothing, and the person i gt it from knows well really nothing about it either can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get started on getting this information?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Post a picture(s) and we'll see if we can help. But you've taken a chance buying without a title, how do you know it's not stolen? Some states (I don't know if you are in one) can make it very difficult to register without title.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1978 28' Ambassador
Boerne , Texas
I'm in the same situation, but you can get the serial number off the tounge. I poured some paint remover on it behind the hitch and the etched in number appeared. Then I went to
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives and found the model. In Texas you have to get a DPS or Sherriff to verify the number and that it's not stolen. Then they can do a search, but if it's really old like mine it's really hard to get a title. It takes time but it can be done. Good luck
esmaytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

1973 Argosy 24
rogersville , Alabama
ok i finally go a pic loaded on here!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome Argonaut. At least in '75, Argosy trailers had the VIN stamped on the top flange of the A-frame between the body and the hitch coupler, as esmaytum describes.

You can guesstimate the model by measuring the distance from the bumper to the hitch. Looking at the photo you've posted, I'm guessing 26 since from the placement of the windows it seems like it had the galley on the curbside, it's a tandem axle and definitely seems longer than 22', thought the outside photo is at a big angle off the side view.

See if you can find the VIN on the A-frame if there's not a VIN tag anywhere... there's definitely not one where mine is, above the fresh-water filler door. Does it have a license plate? (i.e. do you know the state in which it was last registered?) If it has a plate you can probably find the VIN that way, but I wouldn't be 100% confident until I found the VIN stamp, since someone might have given the wrong VIN to get the plate, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote