Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

2017 27' Flying Cloud
griffin , Georgia
Exclamation Georgia Confusion

We are new airstreamers. Bought a new 27 ft Flying Cloud and Chevy 2500 diesel as a tow vehicle.

We will take our first trip in April.

Our confusion is regarding the State of Georgia ad valorum tax-which I received yesterday.

After paying a hefty amount in sales tax the ad valorum tax was a surprise.

Is this a valid tax or a mistake?

Will the amount of tax decrease with the value of our airstream?

Is the tax a deduction for federal or state tax returns?

Any info or advice on the topic will be greatly appreciated.
hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Being a native Georgian......I havta gripe too. The taxes in this state have gone thru the roof in the last 30 or so years. Used to be one of our better bragging positions, Low Taxes! Not any longer.

So here's how the ad val tax works now. The law was changed maybe 5 years ago. You pay all of your ad val taxes "up front" now. I bought a used tow vehicle in 2013, a Pick Up Truck), not too long after the change went thru. At that time, the ad val tax was a straight 5% of the sale price of the truck. ($10,000 sale price generated a $500 ad val tax bill. The dealer collected that and [presumably] forwarded to the state of Georgia and county taxing authority.) Everybody shares in the wealth, eh? But here's the good part, if there is one. My tags now are only $20 per year....forever. in other words, no yearly Ad Val tax bill. Just the annual $20 to process the tag paper work and send the new tag. (which begs the question, why do we have to this every year since there's no tax due, but I digress)

The state supposedly changed this law to capture taxes from private sales. And to be perfectly honest, that logic doesn't hold water. They still charge taxes when you register the vehicle. I guess I'm too simple a country boy to understand the intricacies of Gubmnet taxes. But I'm sliding into that digression thing again.

The Ad Val taxes are deductible on you yearly tax return, as are the sales taxes I think. Double check on that one.

Now having said all of that, I'm not sure how that applies to RV's. I know the new law applies to cars and light trucks owned for personal use, not sure about about a travel trailer. The State of Georgia (Read: politicians) love to tax success. And a big expensive RV just oozes success. I can't wait to retire and get the heck outta here.

We're just up the road from you in 'Possum Holler, you may know it as Henry County.

Give us a holler sometime.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
No fun having sales and value tax too! What are the current rates for each?

Many other countries have one or the other, but not both usually. In Europe, the VAT is high on luxury items like Airstreams IMO.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Eu VAT:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...t_rates_en.pdf
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Sales taxes vary depending upon the county and city you live in, but they can be as high as 9%. The Ad Val tax is a straight 5%, as far as I know. Add that to the price of new a Airstream and that can get to be some real money fast. On a $100,000 Airstream, that's $14,000. Yikes!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote