Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Goleta , California
Todays update. This is my lucky day. I went to DMV again and the person that helped me said "no problem, we will just say that the title is lost and you get a new one. Do you want to do this now?" . "YES", I said.
So, 3 visits to DMV, 3 stories:
1- call the police and get a lawyer
2- apply for a new title but the seller has to sign
3- apply for a new title and the seller does not need to sign.

The lesson learned is do not give up. Rules are only rigid in someone's mind.
Thank you all for the advices. This is a great forum full of wonderful people.
Cris
Cristina1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #22
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina1966
Todays update. This is my lucky day. I went to DMV again and the person that helped me said "no problem, we will just say that the title is lost and you get a new one. Do you want to do this now?" . "YES", I said.

Cris
Oh Chris, what a ordeal you went through! Your tenasity paid off and you had alot of forum friends pulling for you!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Did you get your power workin in the trailer?
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
The worst phrase to hear ( I'am from the goverment, I am here to help you ) Finally worked for the citizen.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
When dealing with the Ca DMV I have often found it useful to go to a different clerk or office if I don't get the results I want. They often don't know their own regulations and have too much ego to admit it. IMHO.
I'm glad you got it all sorted out to your satisfaction.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Brea , California
I know of an early 60s trailor that I'd love to aquire but the fellow that owned it passed away and the paperwork is gone. The park owner/operator wants to sell it but does not have the paper work. It was last registered in another state (to complecate the issue). I would not touch it with a 15' pole. My advice is get hold of the person who owned it and get the correct papers. If not get your money back even if it costs you somthing. This may be the dumb way of doing it but its the best I got.
Glenn G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #27
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:

Cris
When you got the new title, it was in your name? How does that work?
It sounds like anyone can get title to something if they find the right clerk at the DMV.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
When you got the new title, it was in your name? How does that work?
It sounds like anyone can get title to something if they find the right clerk at the DMV.
Here is the process as I understand it: You sign an affidavit stating that you have purchased it and are the legal owner, providing any documentation that you have. You get the title in your name. If you perjure yourself, you go to jail.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Liars get titles-

I have little respect for most governments anymore- they lie like crazy.

I know the system in Cal, been there, done did it.

You need a title for a trailer? From ANY state? Walk into any Cal DMV, say you own it, ask if its in registration still and if there are any back charges, and when they say no- its been deleted from the system, just say you want it re-titled and it was already in your name. They'll hand you a fresh title after some simple affidavits and paperwork. Its done all the time.

OH! Trailer stolen? Maybe it comes up on the wanted list of stolen vehicles, maybe the day you try and maybe later- its not so simple if its stolen...

Most people are straight about whether its been purchased legally, but the "rules"are easily manipulated, and it makes up for scum like Mr Service of Due Process Rejection getting away with the crap he pulled. Congrats!
oldbaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Cris,
Give this place a try. A guy I know that buys old trucks has used them to get titles for "bill of sale" purchases with great success.
I'd exercise caution when dealing with a "title and registration" company. Several have been shut down this past couple of years for shady operations, I think I would try this route as a last resort.

I think I would try the lost title approach with DMV again, you have a bill of sale and if the previous owner "doesn't have the title" what else can they do? If only the previous owner can apply for a lost title dupilcate, then that will be more difficult. There has to be a duplicate process, I know the state of CA can be frustrting with the red tape. I would divulge to DMV only what they really need to know to get you a title, sometimes the less they know the better.

I had this problem when I purchased a '69 Camero in Iowa. The owner couldn't ever quite "find" the title. Fortunately in this case since the guy was already in trouble with the law, the local sherriff offered to pay him a "friendly neighborly visit". I received the title in the mail within a week. It was amazing how quickly the guy's memory improved after the sherriff's kindly visit. I don't think you'll get this kind of service in CA unless you live in a small town in northern CA.

The state of Florida doesn't require a title for a trailer in many cases. Some states especially in the south don't even require a title for older cars since in many circomstances they weren't even isued.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Looks like you got a Title to the trailer, am I right? You could pull it to Oklahoma, and we'll get you a Title. I got one for a trailer with a lost CA title, after waiting for 6 months for CA to get their act together and quit sending us different forms each month. Gave that up and applied for a new Oklahoma Title with just the Bill of Sale from the previous owner. CA never even bothered to ask why we stopped attempting to get a lost Title from them. Tag agent here even came out to see the trailer and get the VIN number so I wouldn't have to pull it to their office. Everything here in Oklahoma has to be notarized; however, I bought a trailer from Michigan this Fall and they don't require any proof that the real owner has signed the Title. You just have someone sign his name and you're done.HUM?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:

Cris
Glad to hear that things are getting worked out. I know what you mean about getting a different story each time you talk with a different worker, I run into that situation almost everytime I deal with with any local gov't office.

At least now you can help out someone else experiencing a simular problems.