Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Coming in from out of state - Just griping

Just griping - Coming in from out of state –

I don’t know if this is common or not but it sure got a rise out of us.

My wife and I finally are getting our titles and tags switched from our former home (Louisiana) to our new digs (Kentucky). We expected to get shafted a little bit swapping our auto/truck tags to a new state – there always seems to be some reason to gouge the newcomers and we were not disappointed but - -

In order to get KY tags for the Airstream we have to pay taxes, & title fees (expected) but we also have to have a state fire Marshall inspect the unit. Evidentially this is for out of staters only. If you by a unit in state, no matter how ragged out it is, you don’t need an inspection.

We were given two options, we could drive our Safari about thirty miles down the interstate and have it inspected at one of the local camp grounds for 80 bucks or schedule a meeting with a fire Marshall who operates out of the state capitol (about 50 miles away) who will actually drive to our home and do it for 60 dollars. Since we are not going out this weekend, we opted to have him drive here and save a few dollars and are waiting on a call to set up an appointment.

Those welcoming hands were just reaching for my wallet.

Not looking for any advice from anyone – just griping…

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Does Kentucky still rate its transfer fees based on NADA book, no matter what you paid for the car? I bought a 9 year old car with no engine once, and they wanted $1400 in sales tax...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Londonderry , New Hampshire
You're gripe is justified, but the 80 bucks could be just the beginning. If I know Fire Marshalls, they may want smoke detectors and fire suppression equipment installed. All good stuff for sure, but more $.
LoydBonifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Please don't tell New Jersey about that Fire Marshall thing. That is about the only means of getting into your wallet they have not found. Our Governor would jump on that.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
I dont know - for the cars/trucks the lady did look up the amount, deducted the taxes we paid in LA and I wrote a check.

I was happy to leave with my pants...

What the final dig will be for our AS is anybodys guess.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoydBonifide View Post
You're gripe is justified, but the 80 bucks could be just the beginning. If I know Fire Marshalls, they may want smoke detectors and fire suppression equipment installed. All good stuff for sure, but more $.
We figured that one - we already have a smoke detector (which was given to us by the local fire department) and a small extinguisher...

Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
We figured that one - we already have a smoke detector (which was given to us by the local fire department) and a small extinguisher...
Sprinkler system do add a lot of weight but are real effective as long as you are hooked up to city water. If you have to install a sprinkler system consider a Dry System so you don't have to fill it with anti freeze.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My trailer was titled in Colorado when I bought it. I had to take it to the local DMV in Phoenix to have the VIN verified. It took an hour to get the paperwork completed and cost me around $40 to get the first year's plates.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Since I griped I thought a follow up would be on order.

The state fire inspector called me a day ahead of time and wanted to see the unit - now.

I had to bolt out of the office and directly run to the house to meet him.

Evidentially the state sees trailers as manufactured housing. The inspector met me at the house and told me he was going on vacation and was trying to get his inspections done early so I would not have to wait an extra two weeks.

My theory is to give people enough time and they will show you how cool they really are. Worked this time. He focused on smoke alarms and extinguishers – didn’t look at my gas or heater. Spent a lot of time on the electrical system and breaker box. While he was working he kept asking me about the age of the unit and commenting on how well it was made especially for a 35 year old trailer. I explained how it appeared he was about to get a serious case of aluminitis.

When he was about to leave he asked me if I was thinking about selling it. I heard myself say “not in my lifetime and I don’t think my wife will be selling it out of the estate” – He paused and said “That’s about what I figured”

So the ordeal cost me a total of 102 bucks between the state , title and inspection but we do have a new as fan and potential new owner.

New tags -- what a relief…………..

Wife does not know it yet but we are hauling out of dodge wednesday - dont know were going yet.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Digger - FWIW, I expected the same problems trying to register & get a new title and plates here in Texas for the "new" 1954 Cruiser I bought & brought back to Hays County, Texas. AND, the problem was further complicated in that the old title showed the trailer as a 1958 rather than a 1954. In the end, all I had to do was ask the oh so sweet Rhonda in Airstream's Customer Service Dept. to provide me a letter that my trailer's serial number 4057 was manufactured in 1954. That did it. I had to pay the sales tax (something like $300) and it was a done deal. Received the new Texas title showing the trailer as a 1954 in less than 2 weeks.

One instance of a government office working to assist their "customer". I was very happy with this outcome and have written a letter to the County Tax Assessor (where this function falls in Texas) giving the ladies who proved so helpful a big thanks for a job well done.

Jim
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
DIgger-Bear
We had the same problem retitle from IND to OH only not wiff the fire-marshall. It was the DMV who insisted it had to be weighed. Naturally I went to her immediate supervisor Because I know better. She had to call the girl and explain. Then they came up wiff the idea of a inspection to verify the serial number. OF course I had some stuff torn off an it could not be towed. I had to pay $75 for the girl from the title office to come here and do an inspection.At that point I decided U AINT GETTIN NUFFIN MORE! With the title correct I applied for and received HISTORIC VEHICLE plates which call for a ONE TIME fee. We are within the law because we are always going or comming from a AIRFORUMS Rally.
Glad U got it straight and so am I YAHOOO glad thats over
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote